Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Showstopping Climbing Rose Combination or Orange Climber??

Posted by SdlM none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 10:44

So the hubby is FINALLY building me the pergola I've been asking for (YAY!!) and id love to train a climbing rose over it, or more than one. Live in North Texas so its gonna get full sun and fairly hot in the summer, and id like something a little disease resistant. Frangrance would be nice but not necessary, and HAS to be a repeat bloomer.
The hubby likes the orange/ apricot roses, so we are considering westerland. If you have experience or photos with this one let me know. Ive seen a few pics of oranges and lemons, and I know it isnt a climber but I heard it gets tall. But I really know nothing about this rose. If it could be trained on a pergola that would be awesome! But I have my doubts about that one.
Ive also been considering some rose/clematis combinations or combining more than one rose on the pergola. I just really want something that "POPS" when you see it. If you have any ideas, pics, or suggestions, let mw know please!
I know fourth of july and purple splash, and candy land are popular, and though i like them Ive decided not to go with them. =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Showstopping Climbing Rose Combination or Orange Climber??

If you want something that "pops", then you've got the right rose with Westerland, lol. "BOOM!" is more like it. I bought it thinking it was more apricot toned. Nope. It's ORANGE, at least here in TN, and orange doesn't live long in my garden (Yes, I'm a rabid Vol fan, but I don't drive an orange car, either!). I ripped it out and replaced it with its sport, Autumn Sunset, which IS apricot/gold. I love this rose. However, the canes are a bit stiff on both these roses. I grown Autumn Sunset as a large shrub, and it loves it. It's about 5'x5', and would get larger if I let it. I summer prune it to keep it in bounds. I'm not sure it would climb, but it WOULD make a nice pillar. Fairly disease free for me, but does get a touch of BS. It is in afternoon shade, and I suspect the flowers would fade in full, all day sun. It's completely cane hardy for me. Never had even a touch of dieback except on late season new fall growth.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here