Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagenie1

Knock-Out Roses - Need Advice ASAP, Please!

pagenie1
9 years ago

We have two Knock-Out Rose Bushes planted on either side of our porch steps. They are totally out of control and meeting in front of the steps. It is October so it is not the ideal time to prune.
They were planted by a local nursery when we had landscaping done. We are not pleased with many of the plants used and feel that we got a cheap job. The roses never have held a nice shape when pruned correctly, so we wonder if the plants are of poor quality or not really Knock-Outs.
What should we do? Would it be a mistake to cut them down near the ground and start over with pruning? Could we replace them with plants that keep their shape and replant the roses in an area where they would not be in the way?
We have to do something now even it is the wrong time of the year to prune. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Genie

Comments (7)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Since you have to do something now and they are covering the entrance, you could just prune back on each side so that there is plenty of room for access up and down the steps.

Then, in late winter when the ground is workable, dig them up, getting as big a rootball as possible and re-plant them at least 6 ft away from the steps. If the bush is too big and awkward to work with, cut it down about half way and then dig it up and re-plant. Water it in its new spot--slowly and deeply (flood it actually, unless the ground is rather moist already). Perhaps water it in several times in a row--and do it several times during the next week (unless it rains). Several weeks later in early spring, if you want, you can do some selective pruning--prune out any parts that are black or brown (dead)-- and perhaps shape it a bit if your fall pruning left it a bit lop-sided, but just accept that you can't do a lot shape-wise at that point.

Do not panic if it is slow to get started in the spring. It will have to grow some new roots and take time to settle in.

By the way, what gardening zone are you in (or what region or state)? It is sometimes easier to give specific instructions if we know. I am in Zone 6 (Kansas) and my advice is based on what I would do here in my zone.

Good luck,

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 18:25

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Knowing your zone would help a lot. It does make a difference as Kate said. And do prune them back enough now to open up the steps so you can get in and out. Once we now where you live we can give you more advice from there.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Knock Outs are a compact growing shrub rose and tend to have a low, spreading habit. Not sure exactly what you mean by a "nice shape" in this regard......the plant tends to grow wider than it does tall, not exactly a tradtional tea rose shape.

I am assuming the numbers after your screen name is your zip code, which places you in a zone 6. While not an ideal time to prune now, I think you can get away with it without too much worry about the health of the rose. And if they are blocking your entry, it is really something you need to do anyway.

It sounds like the roses are not well sited for their growth habit and so I would consider relocating them in spring as others have suggested.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Knock Out gets to 7' x 3' here if not kept trimmed/shaped. It was definitely planted too close to the stairs. Follow what Kate recommended.

• amberroses
    9 years ago

Get rid of them and try more compact Drift roses.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Knock-outs will grow quite large if not pruned in the spring. Last winter the weather pruned mine for me and they are now about two feet high. Cut back hard in early spring before growth begins and they will remain manageable.

Avoid pruning on any plant at this time of year if you are in an area that has freezing weather. When plants are cut, they respond by sending out new growth. You do not want tender, new growth going into cold weather.

As a landscaper myself, I can say I would never plant something that has thorns, barbs, prickles, etc., near an entrance.

The problem with using a landscaper from a nursery is that they will often use the plants that they have in stock, not necessarily the plants that are best for your situation.

Linda

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Do not hesitate to cut the thorny canes away from the entrance at any time of year. In spring you can prune them to 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 , and after each flush of bloom you can cut the stems back a foot or so. I wouldn't move them unless they are centered less than 2' from the walk. It is not hard to keep KOs around 3' wide, especially in zones 7-5. If your plants want to be more than 4' wide, maybe they are some other variety.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm