Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwayzbgrateful

How would you handle this? Have we been swindled?

Alwayzbgrateful
10 years ago

A few weeks ago my husband ordered what he was told was a 1 gal own root rose online. He did do his research on the company, they had a pretty good reputation, a few complaints on plant size but not many. This place doesn't specialize in roses , they sells all sorts of annuals trees etc.This was supposed to be his way of surprising me, in order to help with grandmas garden.Anywhoo long story short, when the 1 gal own root rose arrived we found out it was nothing more than a newly rooted cutting with a tiny root system (no root ball) . He paid 45 $ for the cost of the rose plus s&h, I've contacted the comp, to ask if there was some mistake.My answer was, "nope thats the established 1gal own root rose, own root plants are always smaller then the grafted ones your used to seeing in nurseries" Seriously? I'm pretty upset that this company it trying to pass off cuttings as established plants. How would you handle this if it happened to you? I try to keep my emotions out of my purchases, complaints, but I'm so upset that this person took advantage of us (the look of dissapointment on my poor hubbys face), and I dont know how many other people.
Thank you all for listening, sorry my post is so long. Any advice how to handle this?
âÂÂ¥Lyna

Comments (44)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Personally I would have thanked him ecstatically (remember the old adage about gift horses..), and fed the rose and kept it in partial shade until it recovered, and loved it, and eventually planted it in the ground where it would hopefully have grown into just as big a rose eventually.

It is bad that they shipped you a tiny rose in a one gallon pot, but I would not have let that turn what was supposed to be a joyful experience into a tragedy.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

That's a terrible shame, Lyna. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that you can do about it. With the costs of shipping going so high most places are sending out smaller and smaller plants. The good ones let you know that you're getting a small band and don't advertise them as 1 gallon grow out roses though.

I would do as Jackie suggests and pamper that rose into a beautiful plant and thank your hubby profusely. That was a very sweet thing for him to do. Let him know it wasn't his fault and you appreciated the gift. Then give him a list of reputable vendors for future gifts.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't go into enough detail, the plant wasn't shipped I the pot they placed a little soil around the roots and wrapped it up in wet newspaper, it was bone dry when it arrived, even after a week in a pot its lost all its leaves and looks like a goner. He was the one that was bummed out, I made it out to be the best plant I'd ever seen. But he was super disappointed . He tried to get a refund, but the comp said they only give refunds if the plants diseased (and only for 7days after purchase although it takes two wks for processing) Thank you, jackie I agree with there, but the plants DOA and I'm feel like we got taken for a ride.
    Lyna

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I've made it standard practice to photograph received packages containing anything of any consequence upon receipt. I also photograph the packing, how it was packed, what it was packed in and the condition of the contents upon opening should there be any question why or how something fails.

If you feel you've exhausted your efforts to obtain satisfaction from this company, and if it is pretty conclusive the plant is a goner, perhaps you might bare root the plant and take clear, close-up photos of it, including the "established, one gallon root ball" to post here for more opinions. If the consensus is you have been shorted, it would then be time to post the documentation here, and to every other rose and gardening forum you are aware of. Not to "disparage them", but to document their quality of product and customer service. Posting clear photographic proof of the size of their "established plants" and documenting your efforts and what has been said by both parties is not slanderous nor libelous. It is documentation provided for any other potential customers to use to form their own judgements and decisions whether they wish to risk their money ordering from them.

Most sources are good and make every effort to prove it, if given the chance. If they don't, they deserve for that knowledge to be publicized. Bad service continues because there are new suckers found all the time. Educating people against the bad service is noble and necessary to get these people to either do the right thing, or get out of that business. That goes for any and every type of business or service out there. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck! Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 12:57

• User
    10 years ago

If they sold you a gallon sized plant but shipped a tiny cutting in poor condition, and then refused to refund or replace it, then you should go straight to your credit card company and refute the payment. Tell the merchant you plan to do this to give them one more chance to correct the problem. If they still won't budge and allow you to dispute the purchase with your CC, it will show up as a black mark on their business.

I don't suppose you can show us photos of the plant in question? A verbal description is helpful in determining the pros and cons of a situation, but a picture is worth - well, you know the drill. :-) Eventually, someone is gonna ask who the seller was, and its not unreasonable to out the disreputable merchants when required. (I have to wonder if you dealt with GrowQuest, the biggest nightmare in the industry)

• User
    10 years ago

even here, in the UK, the word 'Growquest' popped into my mind - complain, ferociously and tenaciously.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Someone above suggest my idea. There is a 1968 law in the US that affords considerable protection if you pay by credit card. On a paper bill there is usually a place to claim your rights. I don't know how it works with paperless billing.

Debit cards sometime offer similar protection but, to my knowledge, this a benefit not backed by law.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Last I heard, the Growquest guy was on his way to the slammer, for violating plant quarantine laws at a massive level. I rather hope so, because his last known address was here in Ventura County, and we sure don't need him!

• saldut
    10 years ago

I'd sure like to know the name of that Co., or even where it is located, most of us know most of the Nurseries and deal with them and would love to know who-which one- did this? sally

• nastarana
    10 years ago

In addition to disputing credit card charges, you would be not at all out of line to post a negative review on Dave's Garden.

Many buyers, raising hand here, simply cannot afford to be making multiple purchases from different vendors until we find one we can trust. It is not fair to expect us to throw away money on the products of disreputable companies because we all want to be nice, or they employ a lot of people, or such like reasoning.

Someone who buys from this company might just never buy online again, to the detriment of all the good and worthy companies we would all like to see remain in business.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Ditto on reporting the problem on Dave's (although "Dave" sold the business a few years back so I think it's another name now, but still available as Daves). I almost always check a companies reviews there before I buy from a new company.....Sure I'm curious about the company, but I'd also like to know what rose it was.....Maryl

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so very much! You've certainly given me a lot of ideas as to how to go about resolving this.I've decided to give the comp one more chance to resolve this issue. I plan on sending an email later today pics included, and I will make sure they know I have no problem plastering otheir name all over web as well as my personal experience dealing with them. Lol, my hubby just said, "uh oh woman scorned".
    It wasn't grow quest thank goodness! I've heard so many horror stories about them its unreal, I hope they lock that man up and throw away the key!
    My husband made the mistake of looking in my tablet and saw I made several visits to three stores on EBay, one was Long ago roses, the other riobay both I've made small purchases from (under 50 $) and got fantastic plants (several) he assumed I checked out all three and gave that last store a look see and made an impulse buy, which is very rare for him. When dealing with these places payment must be cleared before they ship. So its more difficult to dispute. I keep everyone updated!
    Thank you again!!!
    âÂÂ¥Lyna
    Oh yeah I almost forgot, I got an email from Paul Zimmerman that's said Delbard painter's series roses will be widely available here in the US in the next few yrs and that Roses Unlimited MIGHT get ahold of them before hand! Just in case anyone wanted to know ;-)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

If he purchased the plant through EBay, you have their buyer protection which should cover any problems. If he used PayPal, you have a limited time to request their assistance in resolving issues. If he used a credit card, you CAN dispute the charges. All three can result in some pretty heavy problems for the seller. I purchase infrequently through EBay and every transaction I have engaged in for several years, included the sellers begging me to PLEASE let them know if there were ANY issues first so they could do everything in their power to resolve them immediately. There are ways to help bring pressure on the seller to make good. Believe me. Kim

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Kim !! Thats made me feel way more comfortable about the email I just sent. I really hope this gets resolved.
    Thanx again!!!!!
    Lyna

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

On another note, how are your other roses doing?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I received 2 small roses in Mid July that were baked in high heat inside the shipping box. Leaves all fell off and soil was dry as a bone...

I placed into ground babied and they look fine and strong now...

Or is your rose already deceased???

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Don't wait on the credit card action. You don't want too much time to go by. I got my money back from a bad online seller from my credit card company. Do whatever you can and then get a good rose from someone who will give you great service. You don't have to put up with this.

• joshtx
    10 years ago

I cannot imagine the company would be Long Ago Roses. Mrs. Loe runs one of the most professional and personable nurseries I have had the pleasure of buying from in the short time I have been an active member here. She does run an Ebay store as a means to purchase from her nursery but this does not in any way diminish the quality of the product she offers.

I would really like to know the name of the company the plant is from. Here on the boards we need to know the good companies and the bad ones so we can advise new members. I also agree with the others, jump on that refutation as soon as possible. If the company is being unreasonable then by all means hit em where it hurts. A complete lack of business integrity warrants such action.

Let us know how it turns out! And do tend to the rose as if it were not presumably DOA. You'd be surprised how tenacious these little plants can be.

Josh

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Let's make sure we all understand it was NOT Long Ago Roses, nor any other of our valued specialty rose concerns. Lyna was quite clear when she stated, "This place doesn't specialize in roses , they sells all sorts of annuals trees etc." That eliminates any of the online rose specialty sources we've come to trust, respect and love. Kim

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kim, I appreciate you making that clear, for how may have missed that part of my post.So far the I've e-mailed them twice and I have not gotten a reply (yet) I'm hoping they're just busy. The stems of the rose are a yellow brown black color at the base and its continuing to grow up the stems. They arrived that way its just taking over more of the stem. I'm gonna try to get around to taking a few pix later today or tomorrow. The leaves were crispy chips on arrival still no swelling at the buds. They're place under a tree in one of Grandmas portable greenhouses (cover removed) so they morning sun till about 10am then its dappled throughout the day.
    Mgleason, They're doin fantasic! They've leafed out and grown at least 4-5inches! That just goes to prove even in the hottest part of the summer, got "misplaced" for a few days by the post office and STILL were green strong healthy roses , tired maybe, but healthy happy Moist roses! Thank u again, you I think I could say that a million times and still wouldnt be enough!
    I'll keep yall posted on that other matter. Here's hoping I get a reply
    âÂÂ¥Lyna

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

The answer to your second question is yes, you were swindled.

The suggestion that you should assume a Pollyanna attitude and THANK the vendor is astonishing. To do so, is essentially the same as condoning those unacceptable business practices.

Your rose is no "gift horse". Those who coined that pithy old rejoinder generations ago would surely agree that it is not .

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jax, I'm not assuming a" Polly Anna attitude" that's just me. I try my very best to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Unless or Until they've proven undeserving. I myself have my own business ( dealing with pets) I know I'm not perfect and have made a few mistakes in my business. So I understand very well when dealing with living creatures/plants is not an exact science. Sometimes things don't run perfectly, but when that happens or a mistake has been made I know I would appreciate the opportunity to rectify the situation. So I would like to extend the same courtesy to the businesses I deal with.
    By the way I never thanked the business I am having issuses with.
    If you were referring to my last post I was thanking a Gardenweb member (Mgleason) for being very kind to me and my family by helping me to create a rose garden for my ill grandmother. I hope that helps to clear up any misunderstanding.
    Thank you all!
    âÂÂ¥Lyna

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick up date, I just got a email from the seller, Im returning the plant first thing Monday for a full refund. I'll let yall know if they keep their word

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by Alwayzbgrateful on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 1:29

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I'm glad they're listening to you, Lyna. At whose expense must you return the plant? Hopefully theirs. Good service would either replace the plant or refund it without putting you through the hoops of having to box it, mail it and pay postage for the "priveledge". I'm sorry, requiring you to return the plant seems more than a little spiteful to me. Kim

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Alwayzbgrateful: Good grief. If you would prefer not to have honest personal answers from forum members, THEN DON'T ASK QUESTIONS -- especially provocative ones like HAVE WE BEEN SWINDLED?

In point of fact, my response was in reply to the airy jacqueline who states that she would have been virtually lost in throes of ecstasy had she been so fortunate as to have received a barely rooted twig in a gallon jug (like you did) at a cost of 45 dollars, plus shipping.

Now I learn that you apparently share jacqueline's (inexplicably) sanguine attitude about being had -- or maybe you don't, since we're now informed that you're returning the plant. Very confusing.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, from what they told me I was to send back the plant so they could "investigate the plants issues in case it was somehow diseased, or perhaps not in the correct soil for shipment" Whatever that means. They asked that I attach proof of postage paid so they could then refund that as well. Is seems to be a lot to go through, but I think there may be something going on "behind the scenes" Who knows but I will make sure they cover the cost of shipping both ways. I REALLY appreciate your help! I'll keep everyone updated on how all this turns out.

Jax, The only reason I post questions here is because I realized very quickly how willing most everyone is to help, to give honest up front answers from their own personal experience. As a matter of fact when I posted my very first question I was absolutely astonished by the amount of people willing to give me ideas & guidance. Someone they don't even know, yet so willing to take the time to help.I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want an honest answer.
    However I am EXTREMELY grateful that my husband took the time to buy me something more meaningful than candy or jewelry,(IMO) ;) He didn't have to anything for me its not like it was for a special occasion. But that's just him he always go out of his way to let me know He's always thinking about me. Thats something I will always be grateful for. The very reason I chose my screen name was because I'm a forever optimist, I will always go out of my way to give folks the benefit of the doubt. That does not mean I will allow someone to take advantage of me or my family.
    By the way, It may help if when you reply to someone you let us all know who you responding to since you response was right after my last post, I wasn't sure if you were responding to my thanking Mr Gleason. Which is why I said " IF you are responding to my last post"
    Hopefully you have a better understanding of me and why I chose Garden web for guidance.
    Thank you all who replied I really appreciate your help!!!
    I'll keep yall updated!

Alwayz Grateful ,
    âÂÂ¥Lyna

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I hope it is to "investigate" what the issues may be, Lyna. And, I do hope they reimburse you for postage, both ways. I'm sure had the plant been sufficiently mature and shipped appropriately, it should have lived. From your description of it, they mishandled the whole transaction. Good luck! Kim

10 years ago

jaxondel,

Someone pee in your Cheerios or what? lol

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Heavens to Betsy!
    Let's not snap the noses off folks who have questions!

Please be kind.

Jeri

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Jeri &Jim!!
    I have a pic ( NOT OF THE PLANT IN QUESTION, just to be clear) of a customers rose that has the same coloration as I described above. The yellow brownish black at the base of the stem traveling up. The difference is that the plant in the pic is still budding out and growing whereas the plant we have is not there is no green at all, just the yellow brown color in the pic. Just wondering what signs this typically means? Root rot?

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Uhm...i don't know what that means but I received a band from a place that looked JUST like that and died. I was pretty sad because I really wanted it to grow...it was Souvenir du Docteur Jamain. I don't know what causes that but the rest of the rose stayed green but died... if I looked really close the cane, although green, had wrinkles in it from where it had just sort of...dried up I guess. I felt like maybe the brown part at the bottom keeps the rest of it from getting water and nutrients. I sure would like to know about this because the resemblance is uncanny!

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry just realized the pic is up side down, dont know why my pix keep doin that. Anywhoo latest up date , I got another email from the company today.
    They were extremely apologetic saying the true owners were out of town, and they had "hired help" to keep the business running while they were away. They went on to say they'd much rather shut down operations in the future to ensure something like this doesn't happen again. They informed they'd already refunded me in full plus the cost of shipping if I choose to send the plant back for "investigation" and also that they will be sending the correct sized plant and in good health first thing monday morning free of charge. I'm so happy to report finally a good outcome ! Thank you everyone for all of your advice !
    Racin,
    I've seen that coloration on quite a few of my customers new rose plants all purchased locally, (sort of she had them special ordered)the top part of her plants are still green and still leafing out. I hope she doesn't lose them ! Evidently they are very difficult to find. I sure hope we find out what it is, and if theres a way to save them from an untimely death.
    âÂÂ¥Lyna

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Hey Jim1961, Never cared much for Cheerios, but assuming your crude inquiry is indicative of a heartfelt concern regarding a sub rosa plot to defile my breakfast, then I'm not the person to whom your distasteful question should be posed.

As you know, my posts were directed to jacqueline and her kindred spirit (or perhaps alter ego), the alwayzgrateful person who, as things unfolded, was less than thoroughly grateful when a very costly, but purportedly substandard rose was delivered to her doorstep. Now, I'm not being accusatory, Jim1961, but perhaps you should do a bit of sleuthing with those two. I shall be forever grateful for any clue(s) you uncover pointing to the identity of the incontinent culprit who has diabolical designs on folks' morning cereal. Be assured that it's not only myself that I'm concerned about. Nobody wants their breakfast messed with (or in).

After finding a missive from a charmer like Jim1961 at this hour, how does one deal with even the THOUGHT of breakfast? I think there's an open bottle of prosecco in the fridge. That might calm me down a bit. It's probably flat now, but who cares?

On second thought, after charming Jim and his Cheerios, do you suppose flat prosecco might remind me of anything disgusting? Ewwww . . .

But enough fun for one morning . . . Re-reading Lyna's posts (esp the one just above), then jacqueline's, now racin' rose's, the whole thread suddenly comes into sharp focus for me. Anybody else get the picture?

This post was edited by jaxondel on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 8:19

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

I would absolutely consider myself swindled if I paid that much for a tiny, dried up rose. Glad they refunded you at least, and I hope you leave accurate feedback so that it doesn't happen to others.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Don't drag me into this. The band to which I referred came from a very well-known vendor whose name I chose not to slander, and from whom I've received some very nice roses.
    My post had absolutely nothing to do with any of the nastiness happening here and my name can be left out.

Have a Blessed day.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Jax, you were rude and Jim called you on it. Your follow-up was uncalled for.

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Okay, Florida, I understand that you're very okay with crude, but not with rude. You will find time to come back and elaborate on my rudeness of Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 21:19, won't you? Thanks in advance for your coaching.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

At least no one need feel badly at having offended jaxondel -- since jaxondel has taken the trouble to offend everyone else.

Honors even. And that's enough.

Jeri

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Well said.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to all who've helped guide me through this!!!

Racin' I sure hope someone comes along that knows what causes that coloration on the rose stems. How many plants have you lost that displayed it? Hopefully it was only the one plant. Although even losing one plant is too many. (Especially if you cant identify what the cause is!)

I will alwayz be grateful ! In the midst of a storm, there's always a silver lining,
    ;-)
    âÂÂ¥Lyna

• User
    10 years ago

I once got told I was a 'good person' by Jax.....so am inclined to feel well -disposed towards him/her. Terribly shallow, I know, but there ya go.

Plus, as a fellow traveller in all things pompous and verbose........

10 years ago

Jax, the Cherrios thing is just a common saying...
    Better than saying:
    If you don't have anything nice or helpful to say then
    you shouldn't say anything... :-)

Glad things worked out Alwayzbgrateful! :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Please be kind.

Yes!