Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

northern cal rose watering?

andreark
10 years ago

We don't really get much winter around the SFO Bay Area, so do I need to keep up the same watering schedule that I have done in the fall?

andrea

Comments (5)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Unless it rains . . .

Down here -- NO rain. :-( Just hot, dry, desert wind, with occasional lapses into fog.

Jeri

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jeri,

I forgot to ask about fertilizing or foliar feeding. I know most places in the country stop fertilizing so that they don't 'inspire' any new growth that may freeze. We don't have that problem here, our temp dips to MAYBE 32 degrees MAYBE 3 times during our (fake) winter. Should I stop feeding? We (usually) have lots of nice rain during the winter.....Santa knows when to deliver presents. He delivers when our hills turn green.

Thanks again,

andrea

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Andrea - I live in the No SF Bay area. Our normal rainy season starts here in Nov, and it usually lasts for 4-5 months. So, of course I turn off the irrigation when it starts to rain - nothing sillier looking or more useless than sprinklers running during a rainstorm!

Right now it has not rained hardly at all for months & months, so of course we are still watering. Very much looking forward to the rain starting! Then we turn OFF the irrigation system, and hopefully don't have to turn it on again until next March. However, last Winter was really weird - it rained hard all during Nov and Dec, and then...nothing. So, we did have to turn our watering system back on in lat January and leave it on. Hoping that does not happen again!

What I do re feeding is throw some multi-month osmocote on everything when I do the Fall clean-up of the garden. I also use the mulch/compost my DH digs out of our compost bin to make room for the new chopped leaves - two 5 story scarlet oak trees produce a lot of leaves!

Fall is almost a sort of Spring around here - this is the best time to plant new perennials - the mild WInter rains get them established. In Jan the fruit trees & wild acacia trees will all start blooming, and the bulbs will start coming up. I have learned to only buy daffodil bulbs which are the shortest I can find - the tall ones fall over into the mud during rainstorms, but the short ones stay upright, and provide a cheery look when the sun comes out. Fall is one of my favorite times of year - enjoy -

Jackie

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Except for the babies all my landscaping is established and gets watered once a week. I've slacked off recently except for the roses. The babies get watered almost daily. Most of my landscaping is oaks and they don't get watered.

When there is enough rain and cooler weather that the ground stays wet, I stop watering until the weather heats up in the spring.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are ALL wonderful for answering. Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving.

andrea

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!