Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

any trouble with this pest?

Just wondering if anyone ever had any significant damage to your roses from grasshoppers???
Just wondering...

We have grasshopers here but I've never seen much damage from them...
Looks like he's resting and munching alittle in pics below.
I see them mostly in the grass...

{{gwi:333125}}
{{gwi:333126}}

Comments (14)

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I see the Katydids every once in awhile. They don't really do much damage that I've ever noticed. Interesting looking critters. I did see many yrs ago when we lived in the mobile home park, a big fat mama mantid caught one and spent all day eating it! It was almost as big as she was.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Yes, probably a katydid. They like rosebuds and can do quite a bit of damage.

Grasshoppers can be terrible garden pests at times on the Great Plains and in Florida--but not here.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by michaelg on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:57

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked he's still laying in that same bloom...
    He's been there for a couple days...
    Soon those petals will fall and so will he...lol
    (Mister Lincoln bloom)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Getting cold for him. Here Katydids do rosebud damage. If you go out about an hour after sunset with a flash light and felcos you can see them munching. Snip, no more munching.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Katydids will eat the stamen out of the blooms. The'll chew holes in the flowers and they will eat the newly emerging foliage on your new growth tips. They are a constant issue in my climate/garden as it never gets cold enough to kill them off. I have to rely upon predators and my clippers to knock them off. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Katydid damage on rose bloom

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for info...
    Our cats roam the backyard and have been catching and killing a lot of Katydids lately...

I think I'll go out right now with a pair of scissors and ...

Thanks!

• dove_song
    10 years ago

I got rid of my gorgeous Abraham Darby one year because for too many years they would chew/ruin sooo many of his beautiful blooms that I finally got too frustrated with it. Dirty rotters. They WILL ruin roses here in Spokane, Washington so I love it when I see my cats eating them like tacos. Crunch, crunch, crunch...lol. ;)

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

Good to know! I have a lot of katydids, too,but was never sure what they were actually doing sitting in a rose: eating the flower, or preying on ,say,thrips???Now that I know that they are Bad Guys, I'll act accordingly...bart

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Some years they are almost as bad as the deer.

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

There is a really easy way to see what a bug is eating: after you have decapitated it, see what's in its gut. Especially the color.

Simple, straightforward and easy, before you recycle the thing by dropping it to the ground.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I missed your post Ann... I already sliced and diced him and he's now deceased all over the ground....
    Wish I would of saw your post because that's a great idea Ann!

Looks like this new Mister Lincoln bloom has been untouched and I do not see anymore grasshoppers on any roses.

Maybe the katydid liked the smell of a ML bloom...lol

{{gwi:333127}}
    {{gwi:333128}}

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

We have both Katydids and Grasshoppers. Some years worse then others. For me Grasshoppers are far worse then Katydids, but then our Grasshoppers can get very big and have an enormous appetite. Mostly what I see Katydids doing is sitting on a rose. Mostly what I see Grasshoppers doing is eating a rose. I leave Katydids alone just because they don't do much damage that I can tell.....Maryl

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gee I thought Katydids was just another name for grasshoppers...

I have no doubt this Katydid ate some of the rose bloom.
    But I see no other damage anywhere else.
    So far they have not been much of a problem here either.
    Hope it stays that way...lol

This post was edited by jim1961 on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 22:11