Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any trouble with this pest?

Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:00

Just wondering if anyone ever had any significant damage to your roses from grasshoppers???
Just wondering...

We have grasshopers here but I've never seen much damage from them...
Looks like he's resting and munching alittle in pics below.
I see them mostly in the grass...

photo CIMG5583_zps4555ac72.jpg
 photo CIMG5577_zps9f47d9ce.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any trouble with this pest?

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:11

I see the Katydids every once in awhile. They don't really do much damage that I've ever noticed. Interesting looking critters. I did see many yrs ago when we lived in the mobile home park, a big fat mama mantid caught one and spent all day eating it! It was almost as big as she was.

o

Yes, probably a katydid. They like rosebuds and can do quite a bit of damage.

Grasshoppers can be terrible garden pests at times on the Great Plains and in Florida--but not here.

o

duplicate

This post was edited by michaelg on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:57

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:39

I just looked he's still laying in that same bloom...
He's been there for a couple days...
Soon those petals will fall and so will he...lol
(Mister Lincoln bloom)

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 16:16

Getting cold for him. Here Katydids do rosebud damage. If you go out about an hour after sunset with a flash light and felcos you can see them munching. Snip, no more munching.

o

Katydids will eat the stamen out of the blooms. The'll chew holes in the flowers and they will eat the newly emerging foliage on your new growth tips. They are a constant issue in my climate/garden as it never gets cold enough to kill them off. I have to rely upon predators and my clippers to knock them off. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Katydid damage on rose bloom

o

Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 20:10

Thanks for info...
Our cats roam the backyard and have been catching and killing a lot of Katydids lately...

I think I'll go out right now with a pair of scissors and ...

Thanks!

o

I got rid of my gorgeous Abraham Darby one year because for too many years they would chew/ruin sooo many of his beautiful blooms that I finally got too frustrated with it. Dirty rotters. They WILL ruin roses here in Spokane, Washington so I love it when I see my cats eating them like tacos. Crunch, crunch, crunch...lol. ;)

o

Good to know! I have a lot of katydids, too,but was never sure what they were actually doing sitting in a rose: eating the flower, or preying on ,say,thrips???Now that I know that they are Bad Guys, I'll act accordingly...bart

o

Some years they are almost as bad as the deer.

o

There is a really easy way to see what a bug is eating: after you have decapitated it, see what's in its gut. Especially the color.

Simple, straightforward and easy, before you recycle the thing by dropping it to the ground.

o

Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 13:16

Sorry I missed your post Ann... I already sliced and diced him and he's now deceased all over the ground....
Wish I would of saw your post because that's a great idea Ann!

Looks like this new Mister Lincoln bloom has been untouched and I do not see anymore grasshoppers on any roses.

Maybe the katydid liked the smell of a ML bloom...lol

photo CIMG5594_zps19c471d4.jpg
 photo CIMG5587_zps8b55b084.jpg

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 20:47

We have both Katydids and Grasshoppers. Some years worse then others. For me Grasshoppers are far worse then Katydids, but then our Grasshoppers can get very big and have an enormous appetite. Mostly what I see Katydids doing is sitting on a rose. Mostly what I see Grasshoppers doing is eating a rose. I leave Katydids alone just because they don't do much damage that I can tell.....Maryl

o

Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 21:56

Gee I thought Katydids was just another name for grasshoppers...

I have no doubt this Katydid ate some of the rose bloom.
But I see no other damage anywhere else.
So far they have not been much of a problem here either.
Hope it stays that way...lol

This post was edited by jim1961 on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 22:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here