Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoore66_gw

bare roots

what are the best places to buy bare root hybrid teas?

Comments (7)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

For Eastern growers, Palatine and Pickering in Canada.For varieties they don't carry, try Regan in California.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I would add Witherspoon Roses and Rosemania.com, they carry grafted on Dr. Huey (which I try to avoid these days).

If adventurous, Wisconsin Roses, but you have to be willing to follow the directions on handling the maidens.

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane,
    Don't understand your answer.
    Are you suggesting the two rose growers or avoiding them.
    Also what are maidens!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I get my bare root roses from Edmunds, Regan and Palatine. In that order. Have never had a problem from any of them.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I recommend Witherspoon and Rosemania.com because they have great plants, but I caution because they graft on Dr. Huey. I prefer grafted on R. multiflora rootstock, especially for hybrid teas. Pickering nursery also sells grafted on R. multiflora.

"Maidens" are newly budded bareroots. Wisconsin Roses buds to R. multiflora, and sells exhibition quality hybrid teas, minis, and some floribundas. Details linked below. I have had great success with roses from Steve Singer (the owner).

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Roses - What is a maiden?

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane,
    What's the difference between maiden and own root?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

The "maidens" are budded (grafted, on R. multiflora rootstock) bareroots, but you see the process of the budded variety growing early in the process. It is thoroughly described in the link.

As per Steve's page: A maiden is a rose that has been newly grafted. Unlike most grafted roses which are sold as #1 bushes, maidens are field grafted in summer, dug and shipped the same fall, a full year before most of the large growers harvest and ship their #1 grade roses.

Own root plants are cuttings taken from the variety and rooted, they are not grafted to another rootstock.