Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coconutty_gw

Any experience with these?

coconutty
10 years ago

Hi! I'm already researching for my spring wish list, but wondered if anyone has any experience with these-
Gloire de Dijon, Purple Skyliner, Louise Leveque, Red Eden, Cecile Brunner, Alliance Franco Russe, Perle de Jardin, and Monsieur Tillier. Thanks! Kat

Comments (6)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Mons. Tillier is an incredible rose in Southern CAlifornia (which may not help you) and seems to be good in most places.

For us, it is wholly disease-free. :-)

Jeri

• gar99010
    10 years ago

What part of Georgia do you live in? Cecile Brunner does well just northeast of atlanta. ( think 85&285) I have seen mons. Tillier around the atlanta metro and it does very well.

• gar99010
    10 years ago

What part of Georgia do you live in? Cecile Brunner does well just northeast of atlanta. ( think 85&285) I have seen mons. Tillier around the atlanta metro and it does very well.

• coconutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm near Rome. I used to have 50-60 different roses, but had brain surgery in 2009, and after that, I didn't remember the names of things or feel too interested in yardwork. :P
    I'm completely well (Woot!) but recently, walking through the yard, I'm rediscovering my old garden. I lost many, and this year, I discovered BR Cant- HUGE and amazing, which I'd never seen bloom before this year.
    I'm scaling back & digging up the dead ones this week, but hopefully I can begin again!

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Um, tricky, Coconutty cos I have/had the first 3 but will have to try very hard to be objective - and as I always fail, my opinion really is quite worthless....but anyway, FWIW, GdD - this rose needs a tender warm wall to really do well in dreary and damp England. I tend to grow all my plants quite hard - while many of them thrive despite themselves, GdD is not one of them. The same could be said about the next on your list.....or at least my version of it. There are several roses with this name (Mme Louis Leveque (I grow the pink moss), but clearly, I do a rubbish job of it because it was a mean bloomer which looked nakedly horrible for a lot of the time. On the other hand, for a clearly slack gardener, Purple Skyliner has been a winner - requiring very little in the way of fuss and attention, PS throws out several generous flushes, with dainty little flowers and fresh green leaves, with a sweet scent and a forgiving nature in its flexible non-prickly amiability. A playful, delightfully informal rose.....and one which might be just the ticket to welcome you back to the pleasures of the garden - well done, you.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

The only one in your list I can comment on is Mon. Tillier. Planted several years ago, in full hot sun, watered well the first year, I was just looking at him today - full of blooms, not a spot of disease on his green healthy leaves. A good one. I have Purple Skyliner in a pot but its not big enough for me to comment. Good luck with your renewed interest in gardening!