Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Has anyone anything to report from ARS National Meeting?

henry_kuska
9 years ago

I am particularly interested in the Rose Rosette "roundtable" that was scheduled, but anything else that anyone considers newsworthy is welcome.

Comments (5)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

guess not -

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Seems like it would be discussed in future ARS printed materials.

• buford
    9 years ago

I didn't go to the Convention. The ARS usually puts out a bulletin with information from the meetings. I think it's quarterly.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I heard the Rose Show was a little "rinky dink". A lot of exhibitors were not really to happy with the way thing came down.

• buford
    9 years ago

Hi Henry, several members of my Rose Society were at the meeting. Here is a report from our newsletter about the RRD Roundtable:

Then we heard a great panel discussion on Rose Rosette Disease, including Drs. Mark Windham, Byrnes, Ong, and Tzanetakis, all of whom have been studying RRD. The RRD virus has been identified, and research recently has fulfilled all three of KochâÂÂs postulates to prove that it is the causative agent. The disease has been observed in the US since the 1930s. ItâÂÂs transmitted from bush to bush by the âÂÂrose leaf curlâ eriophyid mite. It moves through the plant slowly at first, from cell to cell, but then rapidly moves through the plant to the roots and to other branches. So what else did we learn? The disease may exist in plants and plant parts that arenâÂÂt showing symptoms, so if we have any suspicion of RRD we should act quickly to remove the entire plant from our gardens. After removal of an infected plant (and ALL its roots), we can safely replant in that space in a couple of weeks, since the mite doesnâÂÂt seem to survive in the ground. Early studies have been inconclusive about controlling the mite with common miticides, though research continues. Different herbicides (Round-Up vs 2,4d) may produce different symptoms on roses, but unless those symptoms appear in several plants/places, damage is probably not due to herbicide drift. Meanwhile, we may also see different symptoms of RRD on different cultivars, and different symptoms when there are multiple viruses infecting a plant. We donâÂÂt need to worry about transmitting the virus from plant to plant with pruners (unlike rose mosaic). We learned that Lysol is inadequate as a disinfectant for our pruners �" the professionals recommend non-fat milk!