Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Edmunds' 2015

Edmunds' Roses has their 2015 rose selection on the website. I saw that Neil Diamond was available in the "new" category. Does anyone have info on that new rose?

Comments (9)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I'm glad that I can finally place my order with Edmunds. I don't know much at all about Neil Diamond, I'm thinking that Beth has it, maybe she'll see this.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Yep, I got NEIL DIAMOND this season from Michigan Bulb. Was kinda risky, with their past reputation for sending out inferior plants. But it was a surprisingly good quality and very large plant. I potted it up in a 16" plastic pot. It grew well and bloomed well for a first-season plant. Peaked out about 4ft tall and maybe 2ft wide. The blooms were nice and big and had decent repeat. I seem to remember it has a pretty nice strong scent. I think it's going to be a pretty good rose.

here's a pic from spring:
    {{gwi:313331}}

So... anybody know anything about another new rose they list... LADY SADIE? Looks interesting.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I'm glad they are finally up. I've been waiting all summer for this. They are one of three nursery's I order from. I need to replace 8 roses up at church and I need 4 to finish a small garden at work. Plus I need 3 varieties for my own garden. I have always gotten good roses from them. Let the ordering begin!!!

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Can I order just one for spring 2015? I do have room for one more rose, and they have a rose I have been considering for a long time. If so let the ordering begin indeed!!!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

I've never ordered from them before. How are their roses? Are they bareroot?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Bellarosa - I've ordered from Edmunds for years. They've always been reliable, and their prices are very reasonable. I was a little disappointed when J.W. Jung took over, I was worried that the quality wouldn't be as good, but I believe it is. Their roses are bare-root.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I also ordered a Neil Diamond this year - from Springhill which is a similar iffy vendor like Michigan bulb - and I've been pretty impressed with the plant so far. I pinch off bulbs in the first year, so I don't have a lovely bloom picture like Beth, but it certainly has TRIED to bloom on me countless times this summer. It's a nicely branched bush about 3' high so far, and has very healthy leaves and canes. I am optimistic about its chances of surviving the winter, given that a related Carruth rose Rock 'n' Roll is resolutely hardy for me. All in all, well worth the gamble.

As for Edmunds, they have a good selection and support their roses well, though I have had a higher rate of failure from their bareroot plants than other equivalent companies. Having said this, I tend to have at least 10% of my bareroots from any vendor canker to death in my first summer (or die from "verticilium wilt" as I understand it), so I'm not the best judge of these things. Regardless, I'll be ordering from Edmunds myself as soon as I can look over their options for spring.

Cynthia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Ooo, Lady Sadie looks very intriguing, Beth. I don't know anything about it other than the picture now, but I'll keep my eye out for more info on it.

Jay

• margaretmerrill
    9 years ago

I just ordered Neil Diamond today from Edmunds. They did have me pay for it, but it won`t be shipped until next april. I am looking forward to growing it. It will be in a pink and white bed.