Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Pictures and themes

sharon2079
9 years ago

I have really enjoyed finding this website. The information everybody gives is wonderful and the pictures that people post of their roses is just divine. Unfortunately, now I want more roses after seeing all the pictures..... So, I may be shooting myself in the foot by asking some of you if you would mind posting pictures not only of individual roses, but maybe a shot of your gardens. Personally, I just started planting roses in a straight row down a fence line. Nothing fancy..... just a straight line. No thought of color - just put in a rose that I thought was 'pretty'.
As I go forward, I would like to see some ideas to how people may have landscaped with their roses. Both sunny and shady locations.

Also, has anybody done a theme type of Rose Garden such as using Anne Boleyn and the Mary Rose, or maybe a Shakespeare Garden.....

Thanks for sharing

Comments (27)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I posted a couple of pictures of parts of my garden below, but it is really a matter of personal taste, and of course your climate. What warm area are you in? US South or SouthWest? It makes a great difference for roses whether your warm climate is dry or humid. There are roses which like lots of different climates, but you will get better advice if people know vaguely where you are.

I garden in No California, not far from SF Bay. We have a Mediterranean climate - long dry warm summers, and cool, wet (at least when we are not having a drought) winters.

I prefer OGRs and climbers in my garden. We have deer, and they are not very tall! Also, the old tea and china roses like our warm weather a lot.

Here is a pic of roses growing around our back patio:

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of roses growing out by the street, behind an old wall. All of these roses are OGRs, mostly teas and chinas. This area is in partial shade from the large trees most of the year. The roses nonetheless bloom for 10-11 months.

Jackie

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures Jackie! What is the gorgeous red rose in the first picture?

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

boncrow66 - that is 'Cl Crimson Glory' - in addition to being gorgeous, it is very very fragrant, and in my garden, at least (I don't spray) very healthy.

Jackie

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my new bare root roses this year. They get a dappled spot.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Jackie--I just love those pictures of your rose beds! Beautiful!

Several of my beds sorta specialize in certain color combinations. In the center of my backyard is a larger bed I usually think of as my Red and White bed--lots of red roses when they all bloom at the same time (they don't always) and white hardy geraniums and white lilies and white daisies--oh yes, and my big beautiful white hydrangea paniculata.

Here's one view of the Red and White bed, showing the Perfumed Path right down the middle. Fragrant hybrid teas line the path:
    {{gwi:291304}}

As you can see, there are other colors in there also. I also have a red climber out there--Dublin Bay!

Here is another view down at the other end of the bed--shows more of the red and white. Starting at the far end, there is white Arctic Queen clematis, pink Pomponell floribunda, white Gourmet Popcorn mini, bright red Eutin (I have several of them scattered randomly throughout the bed), white Green Ice mini, and the remnants of a white peony.
    {{gwi:291305}}

Here's a view down near the end of the red and white bed but later in the summer--the white lilies make quite a show along with the red rose (and golden Black-eyed Susans):
    {{gwi:228924}}

Here's a very narrow bed on the eastern property line in the limited space I have between my neighbor's (ugly) garage and my driveway. Here I picked hybrid teas and hybrid perpetuals that are narrower and tall and alternated the colors down the narrow strip--pink Mrs. John Laing perpetual hybrid, white/yellow Elina grandiflora, and hot pink Peter Mayle hybrid tea, etc.--with blue pansies at their feet. Note, however, that we had a brutal winter and several of the roses had to be spring-pruned almost to the ground, so some of them are not forming the continuous "curtain" of color that is supposed to hide the neighbor's (ugly) garage. Hopefully next year they will be 2 to 3 times taller.
    {{gwi:333384}}

I have a couple other beds with their own color schemes also. One thing that is different is the row of big sprawling hybrid musks I have at the back of the property (Buff Beauty, Felicia, Ghislaine de Feligonde--to which, next spring, the old rose/noisette/bourbon Boule de Neige will be added. Oh, there is a rugosa out there too.) The reason they are there is because my neighbor on the south has a big oak that casts a lot of shade back there part of the day, so I picked these big sprawlers for back there since they are shade tolerant. They are all shades of pastel blooms--creates a soft impressionistic effect as one pastel merges into the next pastel.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Although I don't have a bed just devoted to Austin's literary named roses, I do tend to pick the ones with literary names--Lady of Shalott, Scepter'd Isles, etc. I guess if I had lots of room I might actually think about making a bed of just literary roses--but I'm out of space once I plant my old rose I'm getting in the spring.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 9:23

• subk3
    9 years ago

These are the most mature roses I have and the most formal set up. My younger roses are in more of a cottage (mishmash) layout.

• subk3
    9 years ago

A little more what the rest of it looks like. Although this is Baronne Prevost who will be pull out this winter and will be up for adoption and available to a family that either doesn't mind 100% defoliation for most of the summer or one that sprays!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Just took this photo today... Roses with Marigolds...

{{gwi:333385}}

9 years ago

Just now took this photo also..Plants still going strong here...
    This is half a bed as our dog ran over the flowers on the other half of the bed so do not want to show you that...lol
    Blue Petunias, young zinnia plant, coleus... Not sure what that potted plant is neighbor gave that to me yesterday...

I'll be adding 2 buck roses in this bed next year...

{{gwi:333387}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 10:48

9 years ago

Took this pic today also...
    Blue flowers are Invasive Morning Glories but they work well here in that location.. The flowers have actually stayed open most of the day during September and October due to cooler weather and less sun...
    Rest are Marigolds and a Blue Putunia in there somewhere...
    There is a small rose bush but it has not done well this year so will be replaced with another rose bush next year...

{{gwi:333389}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Wonderful gardens, everyone!

• sharon2079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to those that posted their pictures. This gives me ideas.... though my thumb isn't quite as green as everybody's. Thank you for sharing

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

subk--those mature climbers are impressive. Wish mine would fill out that way.

jim--such healthy-looking annuals mixed in with your roses. Great color combinations also!

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Beautiful pics of everyone's gardens! I love seeing how everyone had their gardens laid it out, it helps inspire me.

9 years ago

Thanks Kate!
    Great pics everyone!
    Our dog ran over a few flowers and ripped them right out of the ground...lol..She likes to run back and forth playing with our neighbors dog...
    {{gwi:333390}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Hey, she looks like a sweetheart to me! A wannabe gardener maybe?

Kate

9 years ago

She is a sweetheart but likes to run back and forth in that location to play with the neighbors dog beyond the fence.
    We always catch her smelling flowers Kate...lol
    First dog I ever had that went around smelling flowers as much as Gracie does... She loves flowers!

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Themes : old fashioned garden to go with our Victorian house. Not a rose garden, but a garden with roses in it. Untidy, rampant, exuberant, volunteer flowers welcome, and messy. In this picture the roses are behind the wall, along with other things, and in front of the wall are ground covers, bulbs, and volunteers.

Jackie

• ehlerslw
    9 years ago

great pictures. I also have to put fences up around my plants because my dog wants to go in between the roses and dig around them.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Jackie, I just love your garden.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Jim, that looks like a doodle or a wheaten. Darling.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Welcome to my home. My front door is to the left of this tangle. The little tree on the right is a wisteria that throw fronds of white flowers when she is in bloom. Generous gardener climbs up the porch In the center. Chicago can be tough.

This post was edited by susan4952 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 23:50

• susan4952
    9 years ago

How I keep the dogs out of the roses. Sorry, off topic.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

And because I am a cold zoner, I have tree roses in pots. They are arranged in a way that leads to my entry way. And I drag them into the garage after thanksgiving.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Alternative view of entrance with potted roses. Lots of minis in center planter.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

There are some beautiful gardens here. Talented and hard working gardeners for sure. I have learned so much from this site and I appreciate every opinion and picture shared. Happy Fall everyone. Some of our best roses are coming! Lesley

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner