Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paola_b

Mildew & rust resistant for coastal Zone 10

paola_b
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am planing to replace some of our older roses and thought I'd ask your opinion on specific ones to buy. I need five medium size roses, ideally 4 ft, round shaped. They will be planted in a flower bed that gets 5 hrs. of hot CA sun 10 am - 3 pm. One of the roses will get only 3 hrs. of midday sun. Really wouldn't want anything that likes to be 12' tall in my garden...
I would love a peeony-type of a rose with many petals, but it doesn't have to be and really any color even I am sort of thinking of orange. Mildew and rust-resistance for coastal Zone 10 is a must. Would love an "unpretentious" type that blooms constantly and have a long-lasting flowers.

Already have:
Easy Does It, Strike it Reach,
Ebb, Molineau, Belinda's Dream,
Trumpeter, Disneyland,
Mardi Gras, Hot Cocoa,
Rina Hugo, Rosette Delizy,
Julia, Fragrant Plum (not my favorite)
Quietness, Cinco de Mayo
Just Joey (a stingy one)

I've spent a good while on "helpmefind.com" trying to determine what these may be, but I apparently don't know enough. Needless to say, I think I've read every single post on a "potential" rose candidate... Here what I have so far:

Abbaye de Cluny
About Face
Gingersnap
Marmalade Sky (sold sometimes as Tangerine Streams)
Tuscan Sun (evidently is very good - thank you Hoovd)
Outta the Blue
Sophys Rose
Young Lycidas

Appreciate your input and recommendation.
Thank you!
Paola

Sent from my iPad

Comments (18)

• paola_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Kathy. It helps me a lot. We have visitors out of town for two weeks in November, otherwise I would come.

Any other roses you could recommend?

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Hey there!

Rust and mildew are definitely the biggest problems I face in Coastal So Cal, so I feel comfortable that my experiences would be similar to yours. I have or look after several varieties you already grow, but only two which you have asked about. Those are About Face and Abbaye de Cluny, both of which my mom bought as bare roots this past December.

I don't see them all the time, but About Face seems like the healthier rose. The flowers of Abbaye de Cluny are prettier and more fragrant (I don't think About Face has any fragrance) in my opinion, but the plants have been far less vigorous than About Face. As first year plants, it's too soon to say what the habits will be like, but I imagine About Face will be the prettier shrub even though Abbaye de Cluny has glossier foliage. I haven't noticed rust on either, maybe a touch of mildew on Abbaye de Cluny, but nothing bad at all.

I've never seen a speck of rust on any true tea rose though some are quite mildew prone. If you're looking for disease resistance and regularity of bloom over other traits, perhaps look into something like General Gallieni, Catherine Mermet, Madame Berkeley, Gilbert Nabonnand, or any of the teas that do well here. Jeri, Kippy, and others like Kathy would have some good recommendations for these conditions. They may not all be 5x5 or smaller, but you can assuredly avoid the biggest monsters and still have a lovely bed with fewer but larger rose shrubs.

As far as the low sun spot, consider Lyda Rose, Iceberg, or something else with fewer petals. Lyda Rose has done fantastically for my mom in a very shady spot near the coast. The foliage is perfectly clean despite the difficult conditions.

Jay

paola_b thanked ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
  • paola_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Arbutus. I've looked those up and it seems like Gilbert Nabonnand (if I could find it) would have a place in my garden.
    Much appreciate,
    Paola

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I second Kathy's advice to avoid Gingersnap at all costs. There isn't a fungus issue in Creation Gingersnap doesn't adore in our climates. Kim

paola_b thanked roseseek
  • leezen4u
    9 years ago

I am in coastal SoCal Z10 Sunset 24 in Palos Verdes so my local climate should be similar. Check into Lasting Love, Honey Perfume, Moondance and Bees Knees. They are very good for us.

All of our David Austin roses are healthy and will do well with less sun. Most of them have lots of petals. They tend to sprawl at first but you can train them to be more bushy with summer pruning. You have to experiment with your pruning to see what will work. The David Austin U.S. website has a list of roses for hot and dry climates. We grow Princess Alexandra of Kent, Christopher Marlowe, Mary Rose and Sir John Betjemen in full sun.

I don't grow these yet but they are disease free at the South Coast Botanic Garden in Rancho Palos Verdes (3 miles from my home): Glowing Peace, Crimson Bouquet, Judy Garland, Betty Boop, Fame, Lasting Peace, Marmalade Skies and Love and Peace. Entrance to the Gardens is free the third Tues. of every month.

Some coastal Ca. posters here have had mildew issues with Secret and some have not. We have two and neither mildewed after their first year. They get sun until 3 in the afternoon. The Secrets at the SCBG are in full sun all day and I've never seen mildew on them.

Good Luck in your search!

Lee

paola_b thanked leezen4u
  • paola_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about the Anwick Rose, Darcey Bussell or Prospero? Would those be OK with only 4 hrs. of midday sun? Bloom, mildew, rust?
    Since Kathy didn't comment on Young L., I am crossing it out.

Thank you much,
    Paola

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Other than my one interesting climbing cane of Darcey Bussell, that is one of my favorite roses just up the coast from you in Santa Barbara. She gets a lot of summer shade but blooms and blooms. Never massive shows but also almost never with out a few.

If you have space for a taller one, Bishops Castle has done well too.

I accidentally got a probably Prospero and it had a very nice couple of blooms this year (a band so still a baby)

paola_b thanked Kippy
  • paola_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy,

And how old is your DB? Do you deadhead? I suppose at this stage you don't cut down to the first 5 leaf branch as there are not that many? Mildew? Rust?
    BC would be too tall for this particular bed.
    Thank you.

• leezen4u
    9 years ago

The Alnwick has an upright growth habit and is disease free here at the public gardens.

Another poster in Camarillo recommends Prospero for disease free consistent blooming. I don't know about its growth habit.

I don't know anything about Y. Lycidas.

Lee

paola_b thanked leezen4u
  • paola_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Lee. Much appreciate.
    Paola

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Paola I usually just snap off the dead head, if she is getting too big I will cut lower at times, but I dead head rather randomly when I have time. Yesterday I was working near Darcey she had a dozen big blooms. And I enjoyed her very much. Munstead wood has flashier blooms but also wicked thorns. Darcey is much more friendly to have at the front of the bed

paola_b thanked Kippy
  • kstrong
    9 years ago

I don't know Young Lycidas either. Have never grown it, which is why I didn't make any comment on it. Of the Austinis I have grown, Princess Alexandra of Kent and Molineaux have been the best ones for me, by far. But I also like Munstead Wood, Ambridge Rose and Perdita.

As for the visitors you are hosting in November, Paola, they are welcome to come to our rosey seminar also -- the more the merrier. And of course, LegoLand is right next door to the hotel we are at, if there are any kiddos involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auction/Seminar website

paola_b thanked kstrong
  • kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Here is Tuscan Sun from the Huntington just before Halloween. Even the older flowers look good.

paola_b thanked kittymoonbeam
  • paola_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. Thank you so much. I did order this one!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I can vouch for the disease-resistance of 'Prospero.' It has been clean in Camarillo (Coastal Ventura Co.) for many years.

Also many of the Tea Roses, such as Rosette Delizy, General Gallieni, and DEFINITELY 'G. [Gilbert] Nabonnand'. The latter is blooming well at present.

"Grandmother's Hat" is a wonderful, disease-free, fragrant rose that is good in a vase. It's disease-free here (no rust or mildew). It is sometimes available through Rogue Valley roses, and Burlington Rose Nursery. (See Grandmother's Hat att.)

Jeri

paola_b thanked jerijen
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I have 'Tangerine Streams'. It gets rust. It is nearly a dead-ringer for 'Pure Poetry', which doesn't rust nearly as much. In that color range I'm really liking 'Easy Does It' these days

paola_b thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

Lee asked about Prospero's growth habit.

It is a slow-growing, very upright quite twiggy rose which does not take kindly to "normal" pruning. In fact, it is best treated like a China, and pruned minimally. Removal of dead growth is about all it needs.

It does not arch nor spread. After several years, our budded plants are about 4-ft. tall.

Jeri

paola_b thanked jerijen
Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider