Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

suckering

andreark
10 years ago

My beds are under 2 years old and I have never seen what many of you call 'suckering'. Could someone post a photo of this (prior to cutting them out)?

andrea

Comments (19)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

There are two different things. One is a grafted rose making shoots from the rootstock. These are basal shoots that grow vigorously but do not set flower buds in the first season. Foliage, thorns, and flowers will differ from the scion variety.

The other is an own-root rose (whether bought that way or converted) that sends up shoots a foot or more (maybe even six feet) from the crown of the plant. The rose wants to form a thicket and colonize the neighborhood. Gallicas and rugosas do this. The suckers go up from shallow, horizontal fleshy roots.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

According to my e-mail, I have had 4 answers on this post. According to the web site I have had only one.

The follow ups were at 9:20;10:24; 10:48: and 12:48.
    Have I upset someone and they are not posting my follow ups?

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

There are three answers on the other forum.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks,

AquaEyes, Michael, Annalyssa, and DublinKay.

I know that all of these replies can't be seen here. Another thing that is broken on this website.

It seems as if, since I have only HTs and Austins, that maybe I won't encounter these suckers.

Thanks all,

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Michael, but why would the follow-ups be on a different forum than where the post was originally placed? And WHAT other forum? There are many, but this is the only one I use.

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Check your identical thread on the Antique Roses Forum.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Some of my own-root Austins have created colonies. 'Tamora' and 'Glamis Castle' must have some gallica in them somewhere. 'Dr. Huey' appears the year after a grafted rose has been dug up.

Here is the thread on the Antique Forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: same question, different forum

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a copy of the post I put on the other forum:

Thank you all so much. What I was actually interested in was the suckering by an own root rose. I will be getting 5 of these from Chamblees this week.

The suckering by a grafted, I would be able to see very easily. I live in California and our grafts (Huey) are above the ground line. Anything below that is probably
    a sucker.

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving. This will be the first time in about 30 years that I haven't made a 25 pound turkey and ALL trimmings.....(all cooking alone) This year I will be dining at the Claremont in Berkeley. I probably won't know how to handle it!! I love the cooking,,,,,but doing without ALL the work, might be nice.

Happy T-day to all,

andrea

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what is causing the confusion, andrea, but here is what you posted on the "suckering" thread on the Antique Forum:

I have read a number of posts that refer to 'suckering'. And the people writing the post, say that they have to cut out many suckers.
    My rose beds are young. The oldest being only 18 months old. I just don't know what suckering looks like.

If anyone has photos (prior to cutting out suckers), of these suckers, could you please post them here.

Thanks,

andrea

Not that any of this really matters since you obviously got all the answers--which is the important thing.

Kate : )

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate. My confusion was, how did my post get over to the other forum. I didn't post it there. If I hadn't opted for receiving an e-mail with every follow-up, I wouldn't have seen the answers. I don't look at the other forum.

Michael told me where it was. And thanks for your answer also.

Have a great Thanksgiving,

andrea

P.S. Someone had posted a question about Olympiad some time ago, and I said that it wasn't a great rose. It was too small and the color wasn't great, AND it didn't last for long on the bush. THIS IS HOW YOU CAN PICK OUT BEGINNERS!!! They don't realize that after a year or two, your roses will 'grow up' and start behaving. I just had the reddest and most beautiful velvet and long lasting blossom from Olympiad. (Not the time of year. I had this rose last year at this time. But it had only been in my garden for about 6 months at the time.)

I NOW have learned not to make any judgements about about a rose until it is grown up....A bit like children.

andrea

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Andrea

My guess is some times you open the Rose forum and other times the Antique Rose forum when you are posting with out realizing it. Because you regularly have similar topics posted on both forums. Maybe that is the source of some of your troubles with the gardenweb format that you have complained about in the past.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kippy, but I don't ever open the other forum. I don't have any antique roses. That is why I'm confused.
    I have a shortcut on my desktop that takes me directly to the 'Rose' forum.

andrea

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Andrea, the other forum is antique, austin roses and ogr.

I had noticed that you posted similar questions on both in the past. But since you said you have had issues with posting, maybe you are clicking a different link or using a back button too far back?

Just a thought.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but I still have not posted anything on the antique rose forum. I did a search, and it appears that some of my posting have gone to that forum. But not by my choice.

This website has many problems. IF, I've ever looked at the antiques forum, I don't remember it. BUT, if I have looked, it is no reason to enter any of my posts on it.

I posted this last thread on the ROSE forum, NOT the antique rose forum.

andrea

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I have never posted on the Roses Forum and had it appear on the Antique Forum.

And I have never noticed that this website has many problems.

But I have occasionally accidentally clicked on the wrong link and thus ended up in the wrong forum. My error--not the forum's error.

Sorry you are having so many problems, andreark. I don't know why.

Kate

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate,

Quite a few people have been sent back to 'log in' when in the middle of a post or follow-up. This is one problem. And about hitting the wrong link, I have only one link to the Garden Forum, and it's for the Rose Forum, not the antique rose forum.

Thanks anyway,

andrea

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Guess I am lucky, only had to relog in two GardenWeb a couple of times this year and never mid-post.

I know I have posted on the wrong forum accidentally. I have a link too, but post and follow several forums.

Hope you figure out the computer issue, I use Google Chrome if that helps.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Andrea while you may not have any antique roses I highly suggest the forum. While it is mostly the same people a lot great information is discussed. I learn a pile from both forums.

Have a great day :)

SCG

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kippy,

Do you have Windows 8? I do and Chrome doesn't seem to like it. But thanks anyway.

And SCG,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at it.

andrea