Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldschool_rick

when to bring potted knock-out rose tree inside

oldschool_rick
10 years ago

Hi Folks.

This year we bought one of those knock-out rose trees that sits in a very large pot out on the patio. It did beautifully all summer, and I was told to bring it inside and place it in an unheated garage all winter. My problem is, I don't know when to bring it in. So far most of our days have been no colder than 47deg F, with a few dips down into the upper 30s at night. We've got some colder weather on the way, at least overnight, but during the days it will still probably be no colder than the 40s.

So, when do I bring this thing in? My unheated garage is still not very cold, and this plant just bloomed last a couple of weeks ago. Do I put in on our porch under cover for a while, and let it feel the cold for a while, so it goes dormant? Am I worried about night time temps down to the low 30s at all? I'm not sure when I should bring this thing into the garage. Right now, it's leaves are changing character, but it's not bare.

I'd appreciate any advice that you can all give.

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Not until it is fully dormant and temperatures below 10 F directly impend. You want the rose to go through the winter in cold storage.

If this rose were planted in the ground, it would be OK with no protection. The issue is the exposed pot and whether the center of the rootball will be chilled to below 20. I am guessing at this temperature; the roots may well stand 10 F soil temperature, but they are more cold-tender than the canes. Also clay pots can break by expansion of the frozen rootball. It would probably be OK to move it against a south wall and heap leaves or other insulation around the pot.

The problem with the garage is getting too warm. When it averages above 40 F for a while, the rose will try to grow out. So move it outside when you think the worst of winter is over and temperatures will stay above 10.

This post was edited by michaelg on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:34

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

All my potted roses now overwinter outdoors. Of course we are in a warmer zone then you, but still the only time in 25 years or so that I lost any was when we had an arctic blast that dipped temperatures below zero (-7) for a few days. Then I only lost a couple of tender yellows and oranges in smaller pots (3 gal and 5 gal = 10"/12"). I didn't have the tree roses then, but in the past I've had a few of them. Because of the weight involved in having to move them around I wasn't able to ever put them into big pots, and the smaller the pots the more the risk to the roots. However they survived our typical teens winter weather with only a nod to protection on the upper half. I wrapped burlap around the exposed upper graft and trunk. They did just fine in a sheltered area up next to the house on the west side. ....Michael is spot on with his advice about the garage etc.......Maryl

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Wherever you decide to overwinter, make sure to water once a month. If u decide to go with the garage, try to use a dark cool corner. I overwinter about 10. I am in a colder zone and it IS a pain to drag them in and out. I usually don't bring them in til thanksgiving, This is burgundy iceberg early last spring. So much fun when they live.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Follow Michael's and Susan's advice and it should be fine. I keep my rose tree in my shed for the winter and in the spring when things start to warm up I can tell when it looks like it wants to start budding out. That's when I wheel it back outside into the light. If there is going to be a deep freeze I wheel it back in. That's when the wheeled pot trolley is the most beneficial. It makes it much easier to move that big, heavy, tall awkward pot in and out. I've been doing this for 6 years now and it's still doing great!

• oldschool_rick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a shed, and I didn't think of that. It will be a bit of a pain to think about watering it in there, but it's definitely cold in there. Of course, if it's 5deg F outside, it's probably the same in that shed, but from what you are all saying, that should be OK.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Those rolling plant stands are so awesome! I need MORE, so dH doesn't hide from me.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Big Lots! I get a lot of my gardening stuff there because they're prices are very reasonable. The metal ones with 4 wheels work the best, I think. They last for a good 4 or 5 years before they break and need to be replaced. The wood ones are cheaper but they don't last as long and don't bother with plastic ones because they don't last for even one season before breaking. Besides they don't allow for good drainage because they hold water in them.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Wheels bow and break on my metal ones. Got some from Arizona pottery, made of heavy duty plastic. Expensive but hold up to 500 lbs. thanks, Seil. Will try big lots .
    And old school, I just take a milk container bound for the recycle, with me. Snow can work too.

• dibob2012
    8 years ago

Hello All,

I have 6 Knock Out rose trees that I have successfully overwintered wrapped in my garage zone 4. The covers were removed yesterday and all have sprouted. I noticed last season, the bottoms were pretty woody with the growth mainly mid plant and up. I hate the "bare bottoms". Anyone have experience cutting these trees way back almost to the graft?

• michaelg
    8 years ago

Not sure what you mean by "trees." Are these shrubs with multiple stems coming from the base? If so, severe pruning, say to 12", will force them to make leafy growth lower down. However, they will probably produce more blooms for the season if you just tip-prune.

Congratulations on overwintering.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have 23 Knock Out rose trees, I don't cut the trees way back, just a light hair cut to make them around on top.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

If they are standards (tree shaped with a single trunk) don't cut the top off. You will be left with just the rootstock