Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublin29_gw

Bi Colour - Garish Roses

Dublin29
9 years ago

My sister loves bright & contrasting roses. She owns Grace Donnelly & Double Delight. I've just bough her Harry Wheatcroft.

Anyone got any tips on really cheerful HT or Floribunda roses I could get her for Christmas. I'll buy them bare root.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here's Gemini.
    No fragrance, but a wonderful bloomer.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Rock & Roll (grandiflora) - not Rock n' Roll (floribunda).

Here's a picture. And it has a remarkable scent

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

And lastly, here's Paradise. No scent, but lots of flowers.

My caveat is that I don't know what zone your sister is in. I grow all of my roses in pots and overwinter them in the garage. So zone doesn't affect my roses. If you could tell us that we might be better able to help.
    Have fun picking out roses!
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Here is a solid-colored hot pink Peter Mayle (HT). Fairly good bs resistance also.

Peter Mayle
    {{gwi:333801}}

Peter Mayle close-up--it is truly that vivid and has BIG blooms! (That's Elina in the background.)
    {{gwi:240466}}

A bright (but not necessarily "hot") pink can be found on Earth Song, a grandiflora that has fairly good bs resistance also.

Earth song--that's it in the front (Molineux in the background).
    {{gwi:259578}}

Any bright red rose would work--especially the original Red Knock Out. If that is too large, a red like Firefighter (HT) would be bright and more manageable size-wise.

Come to think of it, the first time I saw the sun hit Crimson Bouquet, I could have sworn my garden was a blazing fire.
    Crimson Bouquet

If you want to go larger, Austin's Lady of Shalott may not be "hot" but it is brightly colored--a blend of apricot/gold/yellow with a touch of nearly orange sometimes. But most yellows would come on strong also-like Mellow Yellow (HT)-- Mellow Yellow

I haven't seen it in real life, but the pictures of the climber Joseph's Coat certainly look "loud." Everything from yellow to bright orange, depending on what stage it is in. And it is supposed to be a good bloomer.
    Joseph's Coat

Or try something like Rio Samba or Disneyland--
    Rio Samba
    Disneyland Rose

Speaking of orange, Fragrant Cloud (HT) can knock your socks off colorwise. Fragrant Cloud

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head--but I'm sure there are dozens (and dozens) of others also.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 19:13

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

To my nose Gemini is scented. Here some I could think of anf looked up as well, the spelling may be off on a couple Oranges and lemons, double delight, love and peace, color magic, papageno, brother's grimm fairytale,
    champhane coctail,fire and ice, hurdy gurdy, henri matisse, nicole, pandomonium, sheila's purfume, and if you wren't just staying in that class I would add Rainbow, rosette delizy and leonie lamesch :) Happy rose hunting!

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 16:40

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Granada is a really nice bi color that has a great scent. Voo Doo is another good one.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Lots of the stripes are good, George Burns, Oranges and Lemons, Scentimental and there's a new one coming out this year called Neil Diamond that looks nice. Dick Clark can be quite a show stopper!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Sheila's Perfume, a floribunda which reminds me more of a hybrid tea is a very colorful rose and has a nice fragrance.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Fragrant Plum is a brightly colored grandiflora that sometimes has a bi-color look and is also fragrant.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Floribunda Easy Does It fits that bill here. Bi- or tri-colored, it's a blend of saturated orange, raspberry & lemon sherbert hues that opens brightly intense & mellows beautifully. Prolific with dozens of buds swelling & blooms opening simultaneously, consider it truly continuous from early to late. Solid fruity perfume of 6 on a scale of 10 to me, it's a bushy 3'x3' without pruning & fully clothed in glossy dark green leaves (unmarred by disease in this humid no spray central Virginia garden). It looks like a child's drawing of a rose bush with its globe shape studded all over with colorful buds & blossoms. It's the most cheerful rose I know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Does It on HMF

This post was edited by vasue on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 20:19

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Oranges & Lemons is about as garish as you can get but I have a soft spot for this rose. For me it's been a healthy vigorous plant with a nice shape and very pretty foliage. It's such a cheerful plant. Easy Does It looks downright demure by comparison, though actually they'd probably make good neighbors.

• Dublin29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Firstly a big THANKS ! for replying. My sister is in the UK, not sure how we line up zone-wise. She loves fragrance as well, so that's nice to know. Wow those pictures knock me out, what beautiful roses. I'll spend some time looking through all the names mentioned on HMF. Then see what's available here in Yorkshire. I'll post again soon.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

I second the recommendation of Granada. It's still in its first year here, but it's very healthy, blooms frequently, and is magnificent at any stage. Granada can be any combination of colors from yellow to magenta, but it is never boring. Here's an example from June 1.
    I'd also vote for Chihuly, a floribunda. Striped, anything from coral to deep pink and white. Very fast growing, and large for a floribunda.
    I grow the "loud" roses in the front, where their colors stand out against my pale yellow house, and Austins/teas/OGRs in the back, where subtlety is the key.
    They're all beautiful as far as I'm concerned.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Here's another,more traditional Granada image. The orange overtones in the other photo probably reflected hotter weather at the time.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County