Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana5a

Please share your expereince with these white roses

dana5a
15 years ago

Hello,

Please share your expereince with the following white roses in regards to hardiness,disease resistance and fragrance.

Prairie star,Queen Mary II,J.F.K,Ice girl,Jardins de bagaitelle,Penny lane(tried the last two as own roots and lost them to winter)and white lighting .

Thanks for checking the post.

Dana

Comments (15)

• mashamcl
    15 years ago

Hello Dana
    I am in California, so I can't comment on hardiness or BS issues. I grow Queen Mary II- it is a late bloomer, very fragrant, it blooms in clusters if you don't prune it too hard,rebloom is OK, and it is the most disease free HT in my garden (PM and rust-wise). Right now it still has gorgeous totally clean leaves all the way to the ground.
    Masha

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Unless you can find a virus-indexed John F. Kennedy, don't bother. Even then, it will not be disease resistant. The JFK plants sold locally more than likely carry rose mosaic virus (RMV), which will seriously affect the hardiness and vigor of the plant.

JdB was very fragrant, but was not disease resistant.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I think Penny Lane is such a nice rose, gorgeous color and nice fragrance. I wouldn't call it white though. Definitely cream.

• kathwhit
    15 years ago

I have White Lightnin'. It's a highly scented white grandiflora that is more like a floribunda. It stays small in my garden. The bloom form is like Angel Face, one of it's parents. It has small ruffly double blooms. I get 3 flushes from it, but it is in a slightly shaded spot and I might get more blooms if it got more sun. I will probably move it and put Pope John Paul in it's place. I want a taller white scented rose for that spot.
    Kathy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

I pulled out my 6 Prairie Stars when I decided to stop spraying. If you spray regularly, they get very little black spot. if you don't spray, they get very few leaves.

I did not like JFK.
    Sammy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

'Jardins de Bagatelle' is more of an ivory with an overlay of delicate sunset colors--pink, yellow, peach.

Having said that, bloom production, speed of rebloom, and fragrance are excellent. Flowers are a little on the small side. Disease resistance has been somewhat better than average.

Not considering PJPII? It's a superb white rose:
    {{gwi:333930}}

• susan4952
    15 years ago

JFK was not wonderful in zone 5. I tried him twice.
    I have always had difficulty with whites living through the winter.
    Susan

• petaloid
    15 years ago

I'm also in a different climate from yours, but I want to say that Queen Mary II is very disease resistant here and has medium fragrance to my nose. I find Jardins de Bagatelle very fragrant and reasonably resistant in my garden.

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Dana, the only one I have on your list is Ice Girl. I found her to be disease free (her first year), a nice bushy shape and quite generous with blooms. She still has a few blooms and some buds yet to open. Lovely fragrance, and long lasting, just as advertised. I will be anxious to see if she makes it through her first winter here, but being bred by Kordes, she may be a little hardier.
    Judith

• celeste/NH
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Pope John Paul II is a VERY fragrant white h.t. and mine came through my zone 4 winter with some dieback but recovered quickly. This is one beautiful rose, and the scent is strong rose/citrus. Other pretty whites include Prairie Star, Paloma Blanca and Winchester Cathedral. They do quite well here.

Celeste

Prairie Star

{{gwi:314561}}

PALOMA BLANCA

{{gwi:314564}}

POPE JOHN PAUL II

{{gwi:333933}}

WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL

{{gwi:265962}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

I have White Lightnin', Prairie Star, and QM II. All need spraying. The one that does the least is QM II. Prairie Star is pretty. White Lightnin' is fragrant. For that matter, Memoire is nice and very fragrant also. Other nice white ones are Loving Son, White Success, Ice White, Glacier, and French Lace.

• dana5a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.I should have mentioned that I have julia renaissance,PJPII,gingerhill and joan fontaine.I had pennylane and jardins de bagaitelle and lost them to winter.I liked the blooms I saw on those two .I would like to know that some one had success with them in zone5 before trying either one of the two. I should have requested for the information on how badly the roses mentioned get affected by thrips and JBs .I didn't see a decent bloom on julia until fall and we didn't have too many jbs in our yard.
    As always I appreciate sharing your expereince and look forward to more of them. Thanks.
    Dana

• athenainwi
    15 years ago

I have White Lightnin' and it is two years old. Unfortunately it doesn't bloom very much for me, and the japanese beetles really like it, so I almost never see a bloom. It is one of the few roses that is on my watch list and might be replaced next year if it doesn't improve. Ice Girl is new this year and has done better. The scent is fairly light for me but it does smell good. It lasts for a long time in a vase. My favorite white is actually Moondance. It smells great and blooms a lot. The only drawback is that the blooms don't last very long.

• marcia_mo_5b
    15 years ago

Dana, My Jardin de Bagatelles has survived 2 winters here in central MO but it's protected from the North wind on the south side of my house. Mine is not an own root rose. It's a beautiful, incredibly fragrant rose for me, well worth the extra effort!