Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Brandy in the rain

andreark
9 years ago

I just had to go out and stand in the rain. Only second time I've had a chance to do this in a year. And what was waiting for me? This gorgeous baby.

I joined this forum about 2 1/2 years ago with only one bed of 6 roses. Brandy was one of the originals. She now has 39 siblings. When I first read some of your posts, I thought to myself, how could they keep on adding more roses? I now know. I have more in mind for the spring. I have 13 HTs, 6 Kordes, 3 miniatures, 17 DAs, and one Carruth. Twilight, my only Carruth, is only 2 weeks old from Chamblees and already has a large very deep purple blossom.

I would like some more of the OGR looks, but some that bloom more than once a year. Any suggestions?

By the way, Kim, you said to be patient (not a natural instinct for me) and you were right. My first bed at 2 1/2 years old is just now beginning to look and behave like a mature rose bed.

And by the way, it was suggested that I SP two roses, that at 1 1/2 years, were still less than 15 inches tall and rather sickly looking. But my local rosarian, Victoria from Regans, suggested that since it was winter(?), I prune them back to 8 or 10 inches. That was a little over one year ago, and one of them (Oregold) is now over 6 feet tall and glorious, and the other (First Prize is about the same height and produces (not many) but gorgeous HUGE blooms. I am happy that I didn't want to give up one them.

Thank you all for helping me with one of the most rewarding 'hobbies' I've ever had. I will retire in a couple of years and am really looking forward to having more daylight hours to spend with my darlings.

Hugs to you all,

andrea

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x