Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Should I use both of these?

andreark
10 years ago

I have been using this first product as a 'tea' and pouring it under the roses as directed.

Organic 3: Rose & Flower Fertilizer 5-7-2

But I recently purchased the following liquid that I have used as a foliar spray.

Fish and Seaweed Fertilizer 2 - 3 - 1

My question is, can I use only the Fish and Seaweed foliar spray? I purchased a Chapin sprayer and it is much easier to spray than to do the 'tea' thing.

Even though the fertilizer has more of the big 3, I understand that a foliar spray is more effective than the in ground fertilizers.

Thanks,

andrea

Comments (6)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I just throw any fertilizer on the ground and water it. This is easier than spraying as well as easier than making tea. With organic fertilizers, it is best to put it under the mulch, although if you put it on top, it will eventually work through.

Soluble elements that are extracted in tea will also be extracted by irrigation if the fertilizer is placed on the ground. Insoluble materials have to be broken down over time by soil bacteria.

In general, do not apply two fertilizers at full strength within the recommended time intervals. Typically, each fertilizer applied as labelled gives a full dose of nitrogen, and a double dose of nitrogen can poison plants. However, I don't know whether the organic foliar feed does in fact deliver a full dose.

Foliar feeding is not necessarily more efficient, especially with organic feeds. The insoluble organic materials (mostly proteins) will not be absorbed through the leaves and will just be goop on the leaves until washed to the ground where they can be broken down. However, seaweed does have a compound that stimulates leaf growth and that may have more effect as a foliar application.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Michael.

I am posting a follow-up to my own post. I just spent the last hour or two reading information about foliar feeding from 'learned' types.

From what I just read, foliar feeding can't hurt. And in the case of seaweed spray can be beneficial to leaves.But it will never replace using good organic fertilizers and applying them to the ground.

It appears Michael, that you are 'dead on' with your answer. Thanks again,

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I agree with Michael. I can also add, it is entirely possible to over do foliar feeding, just as you can fertilizing the soil. More is as harmful applying to the foliage as it is to the ground. Over doing feeding the leaves can easily dry them out and fry them, so proceed cautiously. If used correctly, foliar feeding is as safe and beneficial as soil application, as long as it's done sensibly. Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim.

I have decided (no matter what the manufacurers say) that I will alternate monthly in ground and foliar feedings. And I think, after what I've read (univ. hort. depts.) that maybe the foliar fish spray isn't that great....ESPECIALLY WITH THE FLIES IT ATTRACTS!

I will spray 1 month with seaweed then the next month use my organic in/on ground fert (Dr. Earth).

By the way, if you know of a really great dry organic fertilizer, I'd love to know.

Also, should I be pinching all new buds off for the rest of the year? I will if you say so, but it breaks my heart to do it...My Young Lycidas is covered with blooms.

Thanks again Kim. And have a great Halloween,

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Hi Andrea, thanks. I don't see any need to alternate types, unless it satisfies your sensibilities. My comment simply meant to advise against over use of either type, separately or in combination. If a Tbs per gallon every other week is good, more, or more frequently of the same concentration is likely too much.

When I could get away with using organic fertilizers (which, now due to dogs everywhere; coyotes, racoons, rats, moles and and other "vermin" in my own yard/garden I can not), I used what was locally available easily and at an efficient cost. Grow More Organic. The All Purpose 5-5-5 was just fine. I'd mix it in equal amounts with Gro Power Plus inorganic, spread it around and water it in well every month. But, all of the above mentioned "critters" absolutely ADORE all of the organic ingredients. I don't wish to deal with a growing, year old Great Pyrenees rolling in, digging up and eating the final vestiges of "garden" remaining in "his domain". (not my dog, one with whom I have to battle to keep plants looking and performing as decently as possible. Nice, friendly dog, but not "garden friendly.") The more organics I add to my own environment, the more earthworms, hence moles; the more rabbits, squirrels, rats, racoons, etc. and more coyotes. No way to prevent them as we invaded THEIR turf and they are as opportunistic as we are about it.

But, Gro More was/is still the easiest for me to obtain and its cost has always been reasonable. Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking of alternating because I've read that the seaweed spray is great for the leaves, but doesn't provide enough nutrients for the rest of the plant.

I am sorry you have a garden MONSTER!!! So do I. His name is Painter and I rescued him. Now I'm the one that needs rescuing. He just loves to dig up my new babies.
    His last target was Eglantyne. This plant was doing great a week ago, Then he partially dug her up. I guess we'll see how tough she is in the next week or so. He didn't actually break canes, but the upheaval may have been traumatic for her. I have one perfect Airedale princess and one monster that Stephen King probably created. Oh well, He's cute.

Once again, Thanks and have a great Halloween,

andrea