Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountie_gw

Queen Anne vs Queen of Sweden

Mountie
9 years ago

Does anyone out there grow David Austin's Queen Anne? How does she compare with Queen of Sweden? I'm in the mid-Atlantic. Comments and photos are appreciated!

Comments (2)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I have grown Queen of Sweden but not Queen Anne. I'm not sure anyone in the USA has Queen Anne--don't think it is offered here. (I might be wrong--but doublecheck.) Are you sure you were looking at the American site?

Right off hand--comparing the English site's description of Queen Anne with the Queen of Sweden growing in my garden, I'd say the main differences are height--QofS is 4-5 ft tall in my garden whereas Queen Anne is evidently a shorter rose; Qof S has very good disease-resistance whereas Queen Anne probably does not (when Austin says nothing about how "healthy" the plant is that is usually a clue that you may have to spray it to control blackspot); and the pink bloom of QofS is highlighted in the center with a faint blush of pastel apricot whereas Queen Anne is solid pastel pink. QofS also has what I think is called a "cupped" bloom (very attractive) whereas Queen Anne does not, but I don't know how to describe her shape. The only somewhat negative thing I can think of about QofS is that she is rather slow on the re-bloom in hot weather and she seems to like a bit more water than most of my other roses.

If you are interested in a somewhat darker pink rose that is shorter than QofS, check out Princess Anne (on the American site). She sounds terrific--if I had any space left, I'd try her out.

Kate

• Mountie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response, Kate. I learned about Queen Anne rose from my 2014 David Austin catalog (15th USA Edition), so that's how I know that she is available here.

I have considered the beautiful Princess Anne rose, which you suggested, but have read, on a thread or two, that she is "uber thorny", as opposed to Queen Anne and Queen of Sweden, who have few thorns. I believe that I am ready to deal with a few thorns, but not with "uber thorny"!

You made a good point about disease-resistance. When David Austin does not comment on the healthiness and disease-resistance of a particular rose, I have to wonder about it. However, I believe that all of the roses that he has bred, in very recent years, are probably healthier than many of those that he introduced years ago. If a rose is featured in the main collection of the current catalog, I feel that it is worthy for me to give it a try.

Another pink rose that captures my attention is Lady Salisbury. I simply cannot resist the description and photo of her "matt" green leaves. (This is a description that D.A. seldom uses in his books and catalogs.) Foliage and growth style is every bit as important to me as the blooms.

Thank you for your input on Queen of Sweden. She is very appealing to me! I have read many good things about her on this forum. : )

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone