Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Biggest Surprise for 2012?

harmonyp
11 years ago

Well, the year isn't over yet, but for rose growing, just about.

Have any surprises this year? Either rose(s) that really knocked your socks off, or one you expected to do really well, that didn't?

I think my biggest happy surprise this year is Ketchup and Mustard. I came SO close to not buying this rose. I finally broke down, seeing a cute little specimen and planted it late spring/early summer. That cute little plant is now about 3 1/2' tall, and has been continuously covered in blooms that started out about 1 1/2" in diameter, and now are around 2 - 2 1/2" in diameter. The bloom color distinction is perfect. Its form is perfect mini-HT as buds and as it begins to open. The open blooms look like Bullseye, except with bright yellow center, and ketchup red outer. The name really bugged me at first, but really, there couldn't be a better description of the two colors.

I'm quite delighted with this rose and very glad I have it.

How about you?

Comments (80)

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Kippy and Diane: That was funny, I had a good laugh. Thanks.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous rose--dang, I need to quit visiting here.
    Kim--what a great legacy to bred such a beautiful rose. I always wanted to breed one for my Mom. I want a pony, too.

Re. critter repellants, I think the first time I read about humans marking turf was in Farley Mowat's (sp) funny book about his time in the wild studying a wolf pack (was it In the Company of Wolves?). He drank tea all night, marked across a patch of their daily patrolled territory & was surprised to see them "respect" his infringement the next morning as they re-marked their turf.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thanks bluegirl. Remember, ponies DO generate a lot of "fertilizer" and are wonderful if you have the time, room and money to support them. BUT, they LOVE eating roses as much as deer do. Kim

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

LOL! My old cowhorse scarffed down my Dad's pear tree babies. I miss having unlimited on-site poop of every variety.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I feed the rose petals to my bosses goats as I walk past them, this time of year I leave the heads on, but all summer the roses got deadheaded right to the waiting goats

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Bluegirl: Since I use afalfa meal, it attracts animals which give "unlimited on-site poop of every variety" ...such as cats, dogs, racoons, squirrels, and bunnies, plus my horse manure pile. I have to hold my nose in my garden!

Kim Rupert also bred Lynnie, 90% free of thorns, almost smooth. It's more drought-tolerant than Knock-out, very mildew and BS resistant. It's more upright and compact than other shrubs. It blooms well in partial shade, and I don't water this one. The hummingbirds and bees like Lynnie a lot, the color glows from a distance. Blooms are hot pink in summer, and red in fall:

• vickysgarden
    11 years ago

Strawberryhill, those are really pretty pictures of your roses...they look SO healthy and full of life! The blooms on Annie Laurie are really pretty, and I like that is is drought tolerant and no-fuss.

• leezen4u
    11 years ago

It's nice to hear everyone's enjoying, for the most part, their new roses. What an exciting thing to watch as nature unfolds its beauty before your eyes!

My experience this year has been mostly pleasant....

Better than expected ----
    Madam Berkeley is a really great rose, healthy, vigorous and carefree. As the weather has cooled her colors have been better and better. Purchased her own root in February and she now is 4 feet tall and blooming nicely in a 7 gallon pot. She goes to a 30 gal. container before next spring. Thanks for the recommendations for this rose from this forum and the OGR forum!

Dick Clark has outperformed in both bloom production and vigor other much more mature roses in the same bed. New Zealand in the same bed has done NOTHING.... 2 twigs and 5 leaves. NZ looked better when still in the pot from the nursery. If she does not perk up in spring will have move her to a pot and try another spot.

White Licorice and Carefree Beauty (a Buck rose) have been very good.

New Austins that have been really good --- Jubilee Celebration (good in a vase, strong fragrance and vigorous). Sir John Betjeman and Christopher Marlowe are both very nice in a vase and have been disease free and vigorous.

Molineux has not flowered much even though it is right next to Marlowe.

Disappointments.... Walking on Sunshine in the fall has spotted flowers that fail to open completely. Produces lots of flowers but still disappointing; much better in spring. Reve d' Or is just now starting to show some vigor but is healthy and disease free. Here's hoping year 2 will be the year.

My best to everyone during the upcoming holidays!

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

(Preview)is my friend...(preview)is my friend...preview..

Don;t no weather mine tYpin or pfovereadin is wors, sigh--sorry

Thanks for sharing the great photos & recommendations!

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Tipsy Imperial Concubine has been in the ground about 2 years and this fall she is beginning to bloom. Her blooms are spectacular. They are beautiful from bud to open bloom. Incredible number of petals that when fully open have a star-like shape. Wonderful fragrance. She's healthy and easy to grow in my climate. I highly recommend her for a hot, dry climate.

Also, Duchess D'Auerstadt is really coming into own after 2 years in the ground. Big, fat buds open into lovely flowers. Beautiful, soft yellow. Very graceful bush (climber) as well. Love her!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

D. d'Auerstadt can be a truly amazing climber, once she's established and happy. I hope she endures your AZ heat and does well for you. She's a great rose! Kim

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

leezen4u - Ironic that here in SUCH a different zone that I have a new New Zealand planted in a pot. It did nothing too!! I have it in the garage in a pot, and hopefully, it will do better next year.
    CArol

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Carol: The New Zealand bed at the rose park nearby, zone 5a, doesn't bloom unless it's really wet. One really wet fall I saw them blooming, but I wasn't impressed, they flop over, and the scent was so-so.

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Kate, I am glad to hear your Lady of Shalot is doing well. I have her for spring delivery! Is yours in full sun or in partial sun by any chance? I just removed a large tree which opened a lot of sun in my yard but I think the spot I want for her is still dappled for a part of the day.

My biggest surprised were Love and Bewitched. Both were from home depot clearanced this summer in the heatwave. I wasn't even sold on the color of Love but figured I would give it a try. Both have grown very well and are still blooming with no sign of disease or blackspot while roses next to them are defoliating due to it. Can't wait to see them in year two.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Karolina--you'll love Lady of Shalott! Hard to say how much sun she gets--in the earlier morning, a neighbor's giant oak doesn't let the sun through as promptly as I would like, then there is the garage shadow that passes partially over her (quickly, fortunately), but then there is the other neighbor's giant oak and my smoke tree that give her some passing afternoon shade--but I think she probably likes that last bit, considering how hot it gets here in Kansas. I've found that most Austin's appreciate some afternoon sun for a bit during our hot, hot, hot summers. Yet I think she still gets a good 6 hours of sun, maybe even more--and if I remember correctly, Austin does not list her as one that grows well in partial shade. I'd err on the side of more sun rather than more shade myself. I'd basically say she is a sun-lover--for an Austin, that is.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I meant above that "most Austin's appreciate some afternoon SHADE [not sun] for a bit during our hot, hot, hot summers."

Must remember to "preview" before pressing "submit." Sorry about that.

Kate

• EllaRoseT
    11 years ago

Kate,
    Where did you order/buy your Lady of Shalott from?
    Also, I'm wondering if you have a recommendation of an easier to grow blood/bright red rose!

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

StrawberryHill - looks like a rose I can contemplate replacing if it doesn't do well this summer. :)
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Ella, I forget things like which rose came from which nursery, but since Lady of Shalott was ordered while it was still considered "new," I'd guess the only place it was available was from the David Austin site itself--I often buy my Austins from his site.

What kind of red rose are you looking for? My favorites--several different kinds--are:

Braveheart--Clements shrub with some of Austin's Dark Lady in its background--available, I think, from Roses Unlimited. Does have some minor BS problems periodically, but not real bad. Gorgeous dark red blooms.

Dublin Bay climber--talk about "blood red"--this is it! About 10 ft tall (I have it on a pillar). Pretty good disease-resistance.

Chrysler Imperial hybrid tea--shorter HT--most gorgeous velvety red blooms, great fragrance.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Strawberry Hill...

Just a note about 'Lynnie'. The plant can grow quite wide and not quite as "upright' as you described above. The trick is to kind of peg the new canes at the base of the plant so that they are growing at a 45 degree angle and once established, they continue to grow out in that direction.

Before I planted the irises in that bed, 'Lynnie' was over 8 feet wide and well over 6 feet tall. I lost a lot of the bottom growth due to the irises and have had to start over, but my plant is still at least 6 feet wide.

I think my plant is larger than the norm because I have to disbud the rose every spring, along with all of my other roses, to keep rose curculios from breeding in my garden and that energy has to go somewhere. I think that cultural practice allows the rose to grow a bigger plant.

Smiles,
    Lyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Lynnie with a wider growth habit

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Your Lynnie was a REAL surprise for me, too, Lyn! I'd never seen her grow that large. Enthusiastically, yes, huge, no! Kim

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info., Lyn, that would be useful for someone in a warm zone. Everything here dies to the crown in zone 5a, including Knock-outs. They become tiny shoots 4" tall late May. Eight years old Knock-outs in that bed are slender too. Lynnie is very skinny and slender now, I hope she grows wider .... that bed is so wet, and everything are shalow-root and tiny.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

YOU. You TEMPTERS. You ENABLERS. You think I'm MADE of money? You think I have a TEAM of gorillas to chop holes for me?

Gorgeous roses everyone. Love reading about your beautiful plants & how they are doing. I like to scratch the name of the nursery I bought from & the date on the name tags, too. Still have some old Wayside plants.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

You made me laugh, bluegirl. Thanks. I love your sense of humor.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Yer sweet, Strawberryhill, thanks. I appreciate your informative posts & gorgeous pictures.

Karolina11: I got a Vintage Bewitched & its flowers are huge & fragrant here, too. A 'body-bag' LOVE thrown in a scorched bed last year with very little care has done fine & had lots of blooms. Love the reverse white/red

Jaspermplants: Been looking at TIC's picture on Greenmantle's site. Silly name, but your description of fragrance & blooms may make me actually buy it.

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A couple more hugely pleasant surprises for me this year, I noted as I was procrastinating from working, walking through the garden this morning.

cl. Pink Don Juan - huge, vigorous, disease free, and covered in wonderfully fragrant HT form roses, perfect for cutting.

Young Lycidas - I've had a bloom in a vase for 3 days now. It's still gorgeous, and I just can't believe how purple and fragrant it is.

Belinda's Dream. Ok, this shouldn't be a surprise to me. But, it was so "hyped", that I figured it couldn't live up to its expectations. I bought a piddly, bloom free 2.5 gallon, lightly diseased at Home Depot a few months ago. It has grown about a foot, and has about 10 PERFECT great big pink, intense blooms exploding out of it. Talk about instant gratification. And it's in a cruddy, partially shady spot, where I just yanked year old Mr. Lincoln, with only 1 cane, about 6' tall, and one tiny bud on the top of it. Yuck! I put that guy in full sun. Definitely not what I was expecting for infamous Mr. Lincoln (and I checked, the bean stalk isn't Dr. Huey...) Well, I guess Abe Lincoln was supposed to be tall and thin...

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Eyes for You has been revelatory - there are fresh fat buds even now. In general, the hulthemias have been astoundingly healthy, resisting the usual late summer blackspot-fest in east anglia. Completely new to me was a single lilac, Odyssey, bred by the same chap who created Rhapsody in Blue and Purple Skyliner (Frank Cowlishaw). I think, Kim, that he also works very closely with Peter James (Eyes and Blue) and Chris Warner. Certainly, Odyssey has been a cool slatey colour without any pink tones and has a vigour which is often lacking in mauve roses.
    Most joyous rose has been Scharlachglut. I bought this to act as an allotment endstop, opposite a huge R.moyesii at the opposite end. Even after only one year, it has glowed in front of a seedling rowan tree with a massive clump of glaucous euphorbia at its feet. And the heps!
    This year, to my distress, I actually killed a Paul's Scarlet Climber while Hot Chocolate was particularly feeble. Most horrid of all though, is an Austin - Summer Song. What a disaster. One huge cane with 2 measly blooms at the end. No matter what I tried (extra feeding, pruning, water, threatening), it simply sulked and scowled. Destined for the compost heap (a drastic act, hardly ever resorted to because I am cheap - a plant really has to be a bummer).

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Camp: I'm so sorry to hear about your Summer Song. My Austin Eglantyne is the same ... I wasted money on it twice, one died last winter, and the new one gave me only 2 blooms. Thanks for the info. on the creator of Rhapsody in Blue.

Hi Bluegirl: I'm posting this new surprise for me, Norwich Sweetheart mini. It's loaded with blooms after many frosts in November, my zone 5a. The scent is so potent that it perfumes my entire patio. It's a very refreshing scent, better than Crimson Glory. It's so small that you won't need a team of gorillas to chop holes for you, some baby squirrels that bury nuts for the winter would do. It's cheap too, only $7.50 from Burlington in California. She sells Kim's stuff like Annie L. McDowell, Lynnie, Lauren, and other purples like International Herald Tribune, Stephen's Big Purple, plus 380 big roses and 160 minis. Below is a pic. of mini rose Norwich Sweetheart, the bloom is big, very fragrant, and double. It makes good cut-flower:

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

OooohNoooo...!

Seriously, thanks for the recommendation AND telling where to buy it. I had surfed over to Burlingon & was somewhat relieved to see they were out of Annie.

I never thought to look at the minis--so few are strongly fragrant--or at all fragrant. STRONGER than Crimson Glory?! I gotta get my nose around that one.

I know everyone's heard of it, but ICEBERG deserves a re-mention. What a great rose--such a pure white, so floriferous, fragrant, an easy-keeper, readily available at modest prices. I'm enjoying a HDepot bush that's been in the ground ~2ys. Has blooms to cheer me almost every month of the year.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I don't know if it is me or the time of year. But I see white icebergs all over busy blooming and blooming. I need to ask the neighbor if I can take a picture of her backyard, Mexican Sage in front and Iceberg behind them. Pretty combo. And have seen it a few other places too.

Maybe those two colors just pop this time of year. Purple and white.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

There's a strip mall down the boulevard which has the Purple Queen Bougainvillea tightly sheared into a large hedge with white Iceberg exploding out of it, Kippy. Both receive sun and heat most of the daylight hours and have color nearly all the time. That weed simply flowers thirteen months of the year here. Wonderful landscape rose! Kim

• HerdingCats
    11 years ago

My surprise this year?

That I actually have roses. Which are actually growing. And actually giving me blooms. And that I found this site and while you all are insane enablers to be sure, you're also teaching me tons, and tons, and TONS of stuff.

Lots of great surprises for me. Thank you ALL so very much.

Now, if anyone can tell me where I can get an Annie Laurie, I'd be more than happy to indulge myself once again. ;) LOL

Best-
    Herding Cats

• roseseek
    11 years ago

The only two sources I know for sure which are propagating Annie Laurie McDowell (Annie Laurie is a Clemments' shrub) are Burlington Roses and Long Ago Roses. You occasionally find it listed at Angel Gardens, but I've never found it actually in stock there and have never had any contact with the owner of the place. I have regular contact with the other two and know they are working on producing stock for sale. I have provided both Burlington and Long Ago with propagating material of my roses. Kim

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Herding Cats: I love your user's name. Both Burlington Roses in CA and Long Ago Roses sell very healthy band sizes at $10 (LongAgoRoses) to $11 (Burlington's big roses). I grow them in pots and Roseseek's creation, Annie L. McDowell became a huge 2-gallons rootball. I like band-size since they bloom immediately within a month of purchase.

Both Annie L. McDowell and Norwich Sweetheart are 100% thornless, and have great scents. Annie L. McDowell is rust & mildew & and BS-resistant, 100% clean, plus drought-tolerant. Norwich Sweetheart had a tiny bit of BS, but cleared up when I mulched it with horse manure. At such great prices, $10 for Annie and $7.50 for Norwich Sweetheart, they are sold out fast, best ordered early.

My other favorite zero diseases is Deep Purple, almost thornless, it's a Kordes rose and stand up to 100 degrees heat. It smells good in cold weather. Bloom lasts 1 week in vase, and 2 weeks on the bush. See Deep Purple's clean foliage below, photo taken in wet weather:

• mariannese
    11 years ago

My biggest surprise for 2012 and for every year since 2007 is that Secret Garden Musk Climber still lives and to top it, it flowered this year. I planted it as an experiment and I've expected it to die since 2008. In 2010 I planted a Perennial Blue almost on top of it because I was convinced that it had died at last. It's a huge plant but flowers sparsely in its dark corner. Does anyone else grow it in zone 5?

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    11 years ago

Number one has to be Yves Piaget. Now that it has been growing for several years, the blooms are outstanding. Big fluffy, long lasting and an aroma to die for.

Close second is WS2000. I have to stop myself from chopping them all off to bring into the house.

The blooms on Love Potion are so sweet. Tournament of Roses and Sexy Rexy are gorgeous bloom machines.

Golden Fairy Tale is turning into a round little sweet bush. Love it.

Disneyland, the blooms are gorgeous, especially this time of year.

Pope John Paul II is a slow grower, but the blooms are worth it.

Polka climber is really surprising. The blooms are getting bigger and the fragrance is out of this world. So glad I gave her a chance.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Another nice surprise for me has been the HT, Snuffy. Also the David Austin rose, Carding Mill. (own root) it has been a very full bush and blooming machine. Really like the blooms and color.

• HerdingCats
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info re: Annie Laurie. I'll definitely look into that.

Another surprise for me was when I sp'd the Double Delight...stuck it in a 5 gal. bucket of water, and in 10 days or so gave me a bud. I've repotted it, and it now has 4 more buds on it.

I have NO idea how or why that happened, but now I need to find a home for it. LOL. I'm doing the same thing with a poorly producing Midas Touch, and while it's not given me blooms, it's given me new growth.

I don't understand this whatsoever, but I'm not complaining...just voicing some serious surprise at the Double Delight's return from the dead.

Best-
    Herding Cats

• socks
    11 years ago

I had an intresting experience with Tropicana this summer. It has been in the garden probably 15 years, always sickly, plastered with mildew and bad-looking blooms. I finally decided to remove it and ruthlessly hacked off the canes, but the base and stump were so huge and solid that I could not get it out, so I decided just to let it rot in place. You can probably guess what happened--the bush resprouted and looks so healthy and has beautiful roses. That was my surprise this year. Hope it does the same next year.

We had a brutal summer, but the roses are looking better now.

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

I tried my hardest to kill my Souvenir de la Malmaison by attrition (moving during the heat of summer...you might remember our drought...and then not really trying to keep her alive) and I'll be darned if she's not come back!

(She had terrible mildew this spring and so I moved her to a sunnier spot with fewer "friends" to crowd her. If the mildew is as bad next spring though look for me listing her on Craigslist...)

My biggest "surprise" other than the tenacity of SdlM was my new alba, Blush Hip.

{{gwi:334232}}

The flowers on this one are really long lasting and a very dark pink for the class. She's not as common as a lot of the others and I have to say after having also grown Königin von Dänemark that she's my new favorite "dark pink" alba. She's *big*...and doing very well on her own roots (which hasn't always been my experience with albas).

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• minflick
    11 years ago

Anika, what is the central white/lavender flower in this picture?

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

Minflick, that's 3 differently aged blooms from Blush Hip. I found her old blooms (like the one in the middle you're asking about) particularly lovely.

So in order of age the one at the left is just starting to open, the one on the right is fully open (a little blown, to be honest and starting to fade) and the one in the middle is toast.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• minflick
    11 years ago

Thanks Anika, I would never have guessed that it's the same flower. Wow. Interesting!

Melinda

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Campanula, I'm so jealous of you & your EYES FOR YOU! Now that's a rose we need to get over here in the US! But, a really lovely "similar" rose I got from Edmunds this season that did very well for me is BULL'S EYE. Beautiful Hulthemia big-eyed blooms that change color and repeat really well. Loved it!
    {{gwi:310368}}

And a new one I got from Pickering from Fryer's is JAM & JERUSALEM. Lovely apricot-y peachy blooms that repeated really well throughout the season. Kind of a shortish plant, but very lovely.
    {{gwi:334233}}

Yet another one I got from Pickering is LET'S CELEBRATE, another Fryer rose. This first season it didn't do all that great, but the deer got to it a couple of times. But the blooms are going to be very interesting to watch over the next few yrs as the plant matures. It's a very interesting mauve with a white reverse, and it's supposed to get all speckly and spotty. Mine did a little bit, but, like I said the deer got to it so I only ever got the one flush on it. Plus it's in a pot in a not-so-sunny area of the yard. I think I need to move it... or just get it in the ground!
    {{gwi:310372}}

And a rose I got from Vintage at the end of the season here, is PICNIC. The cute little plant arrived with two whopping blooms that lasted for weeks! I'm gonna love this one!!
    {{gwi:334234}}

Oh, and one of my absolute favorites from this yr was actully one of the J&P test roses. Not sure if they will every release it, but I sure hope so. It's gorgeous!!
    {{gwi:334235}}

I certainly hope someone does start selling BLUE FOR YOU again soon. You guys are missing out on a truly gorgeous and verrry "blue" rose! Got mine from Cliff before he closed up, and it's been a real stunner. It's in mostly shade. Does really well!
    {{gwi:259640}}

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It's ironic, Beth, but I just received an email from Tom Carruth about Eyes for You. He said they tested it at Week's for three years and couldn't get a plant under it. It didn't grow well for them either budded or own root. Fortunately, that hasn't been my experience with it potted (own root) here. They tested Bull's Eye and decided on that one instead, probably because it grew better for them, even though it is subject to mildew where Eyes doesn't seem to be. Lack of vigor is also reported from the extreme south of Australia, but not so much from Britain, so it appears it's milder conditions Eyes seems to prefer.

Piecing information together, it seems both Bull's Eye and Eyes for You are of the same breeding. Both stem from CHEWtingle, the SCRIVbell X (Tigris X Baby Love) seedling, crossed with Blue for You. What a break Blue for You appears to be! Eyes for You appears to have inherited its wonderful disease resistance (and scent!) from Blue for You. Other than how long the flowers last in my climate, I find nothing objectionable about Blue for You! I hope someone succeeds in licensing it here so it can easily be offered again. Both of these are great garden roses for me, with amazing scents and gorgeous blooms! Kim

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

What stunningly gorgeous roses, Beth, and as always so unusual. I love them all. Is Picnic a mini or a full sized rose?
    Thanks for the info, Kim. I, for, one would love to grow Blue for You, if it could stand our hot, dry summers.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

You're welcome nanadoll. I know the plant could withstand your hot and dry. I don't know about the flowers, but I would suspect Blue for You would be a better choice for your summers than Rhapsody in Blue, which tends to shut down in extreme heat. From experience, Blue for You keeps pumping out the growth and flowers as long as it has the minimums of what it needs. If you can provide it a bit of shade protection from the hottest temps and most brilliant sun, the flowers will be much better, but that's usual for most roses. Kim

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Aawww, that's a major bummer, Kim. I was sooo hoping someone would sell EYES FOR YOU here. Oh well... Yeah, if you look closely at my pic of BULL'S EYE, you can see a bit of mildew on the leaves. But it didn't last very long.

Nanadoll, PICNIC is an older floribunda from J&P, 1966

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Well, Eyes for You isn't patented, so that isn't a stumbling block to its getting into commerce here. I am pretty comfortable you'll see it on a nursery list before too long. Kim