Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalchick27

Roses for shaded front lawn?

Naturalchick27
12 years ago

Are there any roses that grow in shaded areas? My front lawn receives sun from about 7am-12pm then the sun moves to the back of the house for the remainder of the day. I planted a hybrid tea and a few minis on the front lawn. Will they be ok with only 5 hours of sun?

Comments (5)

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Usually HTs require more sun than most roses unfortunetly. Your best bet for shaded areas are hybrid musks if you're looking for reblooming roses (Buff Beauty, Excellenz von Schubert, and Bubble Bath are three of my favorites). Some Rugosas also. I have 3 Hansas planted on the East side of my house and they bloom all summer long with just morning light!

If rebloom isn't a big concern, than Alba's in gereral do well in partial shade also...

Although, I have to admit I have a couple of HTs & Chinas on the side of my house that gets only morning sun, and they do bloom, but they usually suffer from more blackspot and a longer time between flushes. They only stay there because its the side of the house sheltered from winter winds, and the roses are really not suppossed to be hardy in my zone. :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Since you've already planted them I would let them grow a couple of seasons and see how they do and if you like them. They will probably grow fine but will bloom a little less often than they would in all day sun. I have several that get only morning sun and they're healthy and do bloom but the time between flushes is a little longer.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Also depends on your latitude. 5 hours of sunlight in Arizona is different than 5 hours of sun in say, Maine.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

I have multiple roses that do well in shade for me, but bear in mind that my zone is much different than yours.

Souvenir de la Malmaison likes the shade, as does Roberta Bondar (mannerly climber), Baty's Pink Pillar (another climber that is easily tamed but yet is quite vigorous and tall), York and Lancaster (a damask and once bloomer with wafting fragrance and also gets quite big), Queen of Denmark (alba, once bloomer), Reine des Violettes (hybrid perpetual), Stanwell Perpetual (hybrid spinosissima with excellent rebloom in partial shade!), Paul's Himalayan Musk (rambler, once bloomer, but a MONSTER of a tree-eating, house-eating rose--be prepared for 30-foot canes produced with ease), Portland from Glendora (found rose, excellent rebloomer, happy in shade), Charles Metroz (polyantha, small and quite leafy little ball of green, actually *thrives* in shade and blooms like a crazy thing--I think this rose prefers filtered shade all the time to full sun), R. roxburghi (species, new to me this year and hasn't bloomed yet, but growing very well in partial shade most of the day), R. alabukensis (small-growing species that seems to do equally well in full sun or partial shade most of the day), R. californica "Los Berros" (species that sends out many new shoots in shade--warning it likes to sucker!), and R. hirtula (species that looks more like a tree than a rose, it has peeling bark like that on a crape myrtle, with the bonus that when the "bark" peels off the thorns come with it leaving smooth canes--new in my garden this year and hasn't bloomed yet, but is gonna be a big 'un). All these roses are also fragrant, to my knowledge (except I don't know about R. roxburghi or R. hirtula as they haven't bloomed yet and Baty's Pink Pillar is only lightly fragrant). The fragrance on R. alabukensis is the most unusual (like linseed oil + something sweet), but I like it--some people find the smell on the icky side.;)

Melissa

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

If you are into hot-colored hybrid teas, check out Peter Mayle. Not only is he shade tolerant, but he is also heat tolerant and disease-resistant. And those BIIIIIIGGGG hot blooms--you can see them way across the yard.

My only reservation about Petey is that he isn't the heaviest bloomer nor the fastest repeater. But usually he does a decent job , and those big fat fully packed hot blooms are fairly long-lasting.

Love my Peter Mayle--got three, in fact.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Mayle at helpmefind.com

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting