Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Knockouts in zone 9 in partial shade

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

I have one knockout rose - Blushing Knockout. It bloomed very nicely the first Spring after I planted it, but has not done much since then. It just sort of sits there - its "Fall flush" consisted of 1 (one) bloom. It is free of disease, but has not grown much at all after its initial growth spurt.

Undoubtedly my fault, as they seem to do amazingly well for other people. My garden is sun challenged. I planted BK in a rose bed full of teas and chinas who all bloom happily in partial shade. Right now this knockout rose is 3 feet away from a "Mme Joseph Schwartz" tea rose which was planted about 40 years ago, which is pumping out both its usual lovely white blooms, and also pink ones, because part of it has reverted back to "Duchesse de Brabant".

So, any suggestions? All of the roses in this bed get fed and pruned (fed with 9 month osmocote) once a year. They get weeded and mulched. They all get irrigated through our long long dry (it has not rained since December 2012 - which I admit is unusual - our normal rainy season is Nov - May) Summers.

My BK is about 3 years old, so it is coming to the end of the slack I give "infant" roses. Perhaps it does not like zone 9? Needs real "full sun" conditions, unlike my OGRs?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jackie

Comments (6)