Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirendajean

Watering in a mild winter and other questions

We are having an incredibly mild winter. The last couple of weeks have been sunny, in the low 60s, very dry, with frost free nights. ( A couple of years ago it was snowing in early October.)

My potted roses look fantastic but the soil is dry. There isn't a wilted leaf or droopy bloom in site.

My Questions...
1. Should I be watering my potted roses? They look happy but my gardener's hands twitch at the site of dry soil.

2. How will my roses slip into dormancy? Usually there is a gradual decline in sunny skys and temperatures. My roses are still trying to put forth new growth.

3. What will happen if there is a sudden cold snap?

Thanks guys.

M

Comments (6)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Roses will begin preparing for winter (raising the sugar content of stems) with low temperatures of 35-45 F over a few weeks. It doesn't require frosts.

I would water them if they are dry.

A freeze of around 27 F will kill any soft new growth, but that happens to my roses every year.

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Michaelg. Thanks for answering. What is baffling me is that there hasn't been a gradual decline of temperature this year. In fact, it's meant to be slightly warmer next week. The night temperatures have been around 50f. (unseasonably warm for this part of Ireland)

What happens if the temperatures drop suddenly instead of a gradual decline?

M

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Lacking the normal preparatory cool-down, stems will be damaged at higher temperatures than would normally be required. However, your winters in Ireland are so mild, I would think you would avoid major damage to the old canes. Maybe campanula will comment from England.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

You can't force them to go dormant. If the weather is good they will continue to grow until the weather changes so keep them watered. You don't want them to go into winter water stressed. I wouldn't worry if there is a cold snap. That will tell them it's time to stop growing so you'll only lose a minimal amount of new growth. It happens to me every fall to some extent and can't be helped.

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I've lived here for over 8 years and have never seen a fall/winter like this. I was out gardening in short sleeves yesterday which is Absolute Madness for mid October.

I am used to mild winters but usually the night time temps plummet this time of year. When I take the kids trick or treating we always end up looking like pumpkins because of all the layers.

Most of my roses (and dahlias) are blooming away, some are covered in blooms.

M

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Mirenda - well, the promised temperature drop has happened here in the UK with lashing north/easterly winds. Although you have been in Ireland for some time, I really had to laugh when you commented on mild winters in October. As you say, we had snow, this time last year while I have been picking raspberries until late November in some seasons. All goes to illustrate the vagaries of a temperate maritime climate - we gets lots of (short term) variation but never those extremes which afflict places like Kansas, Illinois and other exotic (to me) locales where temperatures rage between boiling and freezing across the gardening year.
    So, whats happening to mine? Although my pots are still green, they are more or less static in that not a leaf has changed over the last month - only the hulthemias are still hopefully producing buds while all my others are definitely winding down. As for watering, until a couple of weeks ago, daily watering was a given but now, shifting into cooler weather, I tend to let the plants dictate their needs and hold off on the watering cans until it is obvious (by crinkly leaves) that some is needed. I can go for days or even weeks without filling a can. Trust your eyes, Mirenda - if the roses look OK, they are OK. They do not lose their leaves like trees, but drop foliage gradually over the whole winter, caused more by winds and rain rather than the very straightforward leaf-shedding in deciduous trees. I don't know whereabouts you are in Ireland but if anywhere near the west coast, you can probably stash the watering equipment till next spring and let the misty Irish climate do the work for you. Even here, in the arid east of england, I heave a sigh of relief that the incessant watering becomes less urgent.