Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutant rose branch

Posted by bkutz1 Alabama (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 14:03

I have a double white knock out rose in my yard. The rose has one branch that come off it somewhere near the bottom of the plant. This branch blooms some very unique flowers. They are ether Champaign, white or white with just a tiny hint of pink around the outside of the flower. I have been pruning the rose to promote this branch and the past 3 years it has been blooming like this. So this year I pruned off pieces of it and rooted them. I now have 4 little bitty rose bushes that bloom like that. I am not sure what would have caused this mutated branch. Has anyone else ever heard of something like this? I have found some people that have had mutations but never anything like this. Here is a picture of the original bush and I will post a couple blooms from my rooted bushes.

This post was edited by bkutz1 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 14:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutant rose branch

This is one of the blooms off my rooted bushes.

o

Better watch it. The Star Rose patent police will soon be at your door.

o

No. She's quite legal in propagating what looks like a stable sport.

Unless that sport already exists somewhere, it appears that you may have your own rose -- yours to name and register.

Jeri

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 17:40

Wow, it's very pretty!

o

Cool rose!

o

Best lookin Knockout in my opinion!

Congrats >:^)

o

How exciting. What are you going to name it, Alabama?

Kate

o

I love the color.

M

o

That IS lovely, bkutz! And Jeri's right, ignore what Amandahugg said about the patent police. That's nonsense. As a matter of fact, you should consider sending photos of the rose to Star Roses. There's a good possibility that THEY might want to purchase the rights to propagate and market this new variety from YOU.

Let's hope that the sport remains stable over time (ie, doesn't readily revert), and that it retains the disease resistance of its sport parent (my guess is that it will).

Congratulations on your find, Bkutz! Keep us posted, okay?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here