Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darlow's Enigma

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 14:10

I'm a bit fixated on this rose. Bought two bands for my sister and have been taking care of them to plant next spring. I've decided that I must have one as well, but not sure I have the space. How big will it get in my zone? Estimates say 6-12' feet. Is that overall diameter? Kind of a wide swing there. Also, what's the shape? I'm looking at it as a possible big, drapey shrub that grows as a stand-alone. (As a last resort, I could cut a hole and plunk it down in the middle of the yard.) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darlow's Enigma

In my z4b area, it gets about 4-5' tall & about the same wide. Since you are a zone warmer than me, I'm guessing you should see 6-8' tall. It has very sharp, grabby thorns so not a people friendly rose to plant next to a walkway or patio.

o
RE: Darlow's Enigma

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 9:25

How big it spreads will have to do with how much sun it gets. In a "specimen shrub" full-sun spot, it will be more compact and self-supporting -- but still not a "small" plant. If it's planted in more shade, it will start growing like a climber, reaching taller and wider but not as dense in growth. This explains the wide difference in size estimates posted.

:-)

~Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here