Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

Questions About Roses, Obelisks and Clematis

wanttogarden
16 years ago

I live in Nor Cal in SF Bay Area near San Jose. I have 2 Falstaffs, one Crown Princess Margarete and one Abe Darby which I like to grow as climbers on 3 obelisks. My husband and I decided to build them ourselves.

1. Should I make them 8' tall or shorter?

2. What color should I paint them?

3. Recommendation for Clematis ( name, color, size,) I should grow on these obelisks?

Thank you for any advice.

FJ

Comments (11)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

I use 8-ft-long poles to make tripods/"teepees," so I'd think 8-ft should be ample.
    Bet Abe Darby looks beautiful that way. :-)

Jeri

• wanttogarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jeri.

Obelisk idea came from your tripod suggestion. We may go back to tripods if I cannot get the angle cut on top of them right.

This is what I have in mind but taller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obelisk

• ceterum
    16 years ago

H just constructed an obelisk from 6 rebar twisted at the top. The cuo used as finial is not painted yet. Except for the rustoleum and painting it was done and installed in half an hour. I tried to post 3 photos from 3 different angles.

{{gwi:334695}}

{{gwi:334696}}

{{gwi:334697}}

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Oops! I forgot the recommend a few clematis

For Abraham Darby a very dark blue would be gorgeous. I have Triketrei with Colette and it looks great
    {{gwi:334698}}

or Warsaw Nike

{{gwi:334699}}

Crown Princess Margareta

Perle d'Azure

{{gwi:334700}}

or Rooguchi

For Falstaff I would choose a white with red anthers but if you do not like white, how about this?
    Jeanette just Id-d my unknown clematis as Hagley's hybrid

{{gwi:334702}}

Even better - check out Jeanette's Claire de Lune or Arctic Queen. (I have these but just got them, among others from Koi garden, so they will not bloom this year. A few has buds but I do not remember which ones)

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

FJ, the taller the better. And paint them whatever color you like. I would do it white or off white. Natural wood looks good, too.
    Kathy

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I agree with Kathy, the taller the better. I have some 6 ft obelisks and I quickly realized they are just too small for most roses. The one you are looking at is very pretty! I also made the rebar ones but I used 10 ft rebar, drove it 18 inches into the ground and that still left me a little over 8 ft above ground. It took a very few minutes to make them and they disappear visually once the rose grows. I grow clematis with all of my climbers and it is just a matter of what color combinations you like together. The type III clematis are the easiest because you cut them back hard in the spring when you prune your roses.

Carol

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I like Maries' Idea of making an Obelisk from Rebar..very important to coat with Rustoleum as Rebar will rust and painting black makes it disappear into the background..making your Roses and Clematis stand out..which is what you want..I think Marie meant Jeanne not Jeanette..LOL..hey girl..love your pics...I have DA "Abraham Darby" sort of in an Esplanier along my white trellis fence and it will most definitely grow 8ft+ easily...I have Clematis "Etoile Violette" planted with mine..
    Marie...where did you get the finial you have on top to hold the three together?...Jeanne

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I apologize, Jeanne for mistyping your name. I shouldn't post after 10 PM.

I'll ask DH where did he find the top but I seem to remember that at Lowe's in the plumbing department.

At the first five years or so we painted everything to white. In this climate white gets moldy and ugly in no time. To clean a structure with roses on it is not that easy, believe me. I wrestle with our pergola every spring and I wish we had left the wood panels in natural colors as it came from the store.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Hon..you never have to say your sorry to me!!..I knew what you meant..Lowe's...oh kewl..I spend 75% of my life in that store...do you cement your rebar into the ground?..I do here because of hurricane force winds..plus living on the lake it's much windier here...Jeanne
    10pm?..those were the days my friend...I'm in my bed and almost asleep...but up at 5:30 am..

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Paint them the same color as the trim on your house. This provides visual unity between the house and your garden.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Hoovb - that's why we painted the structures to white at the beginning: because white is the trim on the house. It probably works in your dry climate but it doesn't work here, since these white structures become slimy dirty green. Anyway, I like the black because as Jeanne said it disappears as soon as the roses/vines get big enough. I am aware of the basic design principle that the structures should not be covered fully but in certain cases (do-it-yourself projects) it is an advantage.

But, everybody should paint to the color they like; "varietas delectat" altough HOA boards hate any break of uniformity.