Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

Example of Burling's service:

bluegirl_gw
9 years ago

Here's some photos demonstrating why I love dealing with Burling Leong.

Huge selection of moderns, ogrs & minis, big roses are $11.50, minis $7.50.

She ships Priority, flat rate. In an $18 box, she can fit 8 roses efficiently with zero damage. They come looking like they were just pulled. I ordered 14 plants, she included another that I wanted, gratis (& she often does that).

They came in a $31.60 Priority box (2x $15.80) works out to a bit under 2 bucks per rose to ship.

She doesn't have a fancy catalog or website, you need to go to her HMF plant listing & click on links to study a bit what appeals to you. But she answers e-mails virtually at once & is extremely courteous, helpful & knowledgeable.

(this isn't a knock at other vendors--I've ordered from lots, but her shipping is simply the best, the cherry on top of a great selection & fine service)

This post was edited by bluegirl on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 19:04

Comments (11)

• bluegirl_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Individual plant:

• bluegirl_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unwrapped:

• jerijen
    9 years ago

She is also -- as anyone who's met her will attest -- one of the worlds nicest people. I guess that's another cherry on the ice-cream sundae.

:-)

Jeri

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I ordered an assortment of old garden roses and the older hybrid teas from Burling. She mailed her most current list to me and I emailed her my selections and have visited with her over the phone. She is so pleasant to deal with and so helpful. My roses won't be shipped until spring, but I am looking forward to it. The cost of the roses and the shipping charges are very reasonable.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I ordered 2 boxes rose bands (12) from her this year, another box is coming next Spring. She is wonderful indeed.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

This brings home something I've come to notice -- shipping differences between big and small nurseries. The big boys go to such lengths with regards to how they pack lots of plants into big boxes so as to give top-growth room, but then have to have all this extra packaging to hold pots in place so they don't bounce around on their way to you. Then the little nurseries keep it simple -- pack 'em tight and they'll hold each other in place, keeping things from shifting around while en route. I realize that if I'm ordering 30 bands from one place, they'll think it's more efficient to put it in as few boxes as possible. But then I see how well things hold up in the all-purpose priority mail boxes when they're filled to the max with 4-8 plants each.

:-)

~Christopher

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I also received a Leonie Lamesch -though it is headed for my aunt- from Burling last week amongst others. Being in state for me, her shipping really is the best. I haven't lost any rose from her and she replaced the only one my mom has lost with a different variety. Her Buttercup (HT) was replaced by Grandmother's Hat I believe. Burling was happy to do so. She is great about responding to emails quickly, her packaging is great, the gold and rose invoice or receipt sent with each order is a nice touch, her selection is great, and I could go on. I consider it very lucky that she's so close compared to most mail order rose nurseries.

Because the roses are so low in price and shipping costs -and despite poor reports for Coastal So Cal- my mom is giving several Tea-Noisettes a try that she wouldn't have otherwise. She is hoping to cover a long expanse of wall with Jaune Desprez, Crepuscule (Edit: I always mistakenly place an E for the first U in Crepuscule), and Reve d'Or. Only the last is supposed to be a winner here.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 14:35

• buford
    9 years ago

I ordered some from Burling and was happy with them. They were all minis and are doing well. I am not sure about the one regular rose I bought, Twilight Zone. It's bloomed twice and the blooms have been a mauve color. Maybe it will darken as it matures?

• buford
    9 years ago

Forgot I also bought Playboy and Paul Ecke Jr. Both are in the ground and doing great. Playboy is beautiful. I love it.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I know I will be getting roses from her at some point soon- how could I resist such great prices, selection and service? I don't have much of a budget for plants, but feel that it's important to try and support the small vendors while they're still here.

I worked for a good many years for several independent bookstores in several different cities... all gone now, as are too many of the Indies in this country... I know whereof I speak.

Virginia

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I keep a list under the computer mat on my desk with a Burling list.

She has sent out nice plants, for much less and far faster than any of the other vendors I have bought from this fall. They might be smaller bands, but the bigger gallons from 2 vendors have not been that much better it would be worth buying from them. Except for them having something she does not carry.