Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpergl

Iceberg leaves

cpergl
9 years ago

Hope this doesn't post twice. I didn't appear after I clicked post. I have more than 20 iceberg rose bushes. Some have lots of leaves as pictured, some have a few and others have none. Can somebody please tell me what's causing this and explain why it varies so much between bushes? I appreciate all your help!

Comments (9)

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Could you post more pictures, perhaps one that has only few leaves so we can see what is going on with the more problemed ones? Please also give us your zone, and if you are in a drought? How much you water, and when you fertilize and with what. We need more info than just this one picture. Are they planted in full sun, and when were they planted. The more info you can give us the better we can help.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

mzstich's questions are on point, because at first glance it looks like burn related to some combination of too much fertilizer, other salts in the soil and irrigation water, too little water, and hot sun. If roses are not getting enough water, it helps to cut down on fertilizer.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Our water co is pumping a lot of ground water and it could be higher in sodium than average. Could yours be doing the same?

• cpergl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mzstitch, michaelg and kippy-the-hippy. I think I wasn't clear about the leaves. I didn't mean to indicate that some of the bushes only have a few leaves, etc. What I meant is that a few bushes have lots of leaves that are turning yellow with brown edges, a few bushes have no leaves like that and a few bushes that have a small amount of leaves like that. I am in So California, zone 10A and we are in a severe drought situation. They were only planted about three months ago so I haven't fertilized them yet, I hand water (until I get my drip system up and running) once or twice a week, depending on temperatures and they are in full sun. They are planted in front of a light colored stucco wall. I don't know if our water co is pumping ground water. Again, thanks for all your help! Oh and it was too dark to take more photos. I will try to do so tomorrow.

• kstrong
    9 years ago

Yep, looks like a combo of not enough water and too much salt in the water there is. Without a good rain soaking every once in a while (and its been a good long time since we've had a good rain soaker in SoCal), there is normally a build-up of salts in the soil from our less-than-perfect shipped-in water. Salt in the soil shows up in rose leaves as brown edges.

• cpergl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there any remedy for the excess salt situation?

• kstrong
    9 years ago

There are some very expensive products that claim to do this, but I've never tried them. They are cost prohibitive on a large garden. Clearex, linked below, is the best known product for this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clearex Salt Leaching Solution

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I have plenty of roses with brown edges, Belinda's Dream being one of the worst affected, but most of them have it to some degree. The only answer is rain, and more rain.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

You planted roses in the hottest part of the year if you planted them only 3 months ago. Three months ago was July 30th. They look toasted and no wonder. They are struggling to get going. They'll look better and grow better if we get some winter rains. The cooler weather will improve their looks greatly and you should see significant improvement by next April. That would be the time to start fertilizing.

Mulch. It keeps the soil cool, helps keep the soil moist, and as it breaks down adds nutrients to the soil.