Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Is there a good purple climber?

Karolina11
10 years ago

I have an area to cover with some climbers. I already have Purple Splash (purple/white striped) planted in the middle. So far I have ordered Cloud 10 (a pure white with HT like flowers) for one side. I am looking for a purple with HT like flowers for the other side. Needs to get 8'-10'. It doesn't matter to me whether they are one time bloomers or rebloom but blackspot resistance would be a plus. I am in zone 6b in central Pennsylvania.

Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Russelliana 10-20 feet. One long annual bloom.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

I really liked Veilchenblau in my no-spray garden. Unfortunately one winter it died. I do not know if it was virused. I say this because it is supposed to be hardy to zone 4.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help-Me-Find link

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Night Owl is supposed to be a disease-resistant purple--although I'm never sure exactly what people mean by purple since most of the pics they show look magenta/purple/wine colored to me.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Night Owl at HMF

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never would have thought of these, thank you! This is harder than I thought due to the varying colors under "purple" and trying to match a purple that is often burgundy in Purple Splash.

Steve, have you had any luck training Russelliana up a trellis? It looks like most of the photos on HMF are grown as shrubs.

Henry, in your climate, any idea how often Veilchenblau stayed that nice blue purple versus turning more magenta?

I am surprised by how magenta Purple Splash appears since its parent is Rhapsody in Blue which looks much more blue. If you had asked me I would have said Night Owl and Purple Splash had to be related by how much they look alike.

Has anyone tried planting two different purples together? I am having trouble visualizing the results but I think it is going to be impossible to find an exact shade to match Purple Splash.

Thank you for the help!

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

It has been many years ago. All I can confidently say now is that I really liked it. At that time many of the rose growers that I knew in this area lost most of our roses in about 5 years. We knew nothing about viruses being a problem.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Nite Owl for us here was a red-purple, and only approached what I would call "purple" when it was ageing.

Still -- I liked it, and it'd probably still be here, but for the fact that it was a poor bloomer, for us. I suspect that it might prefer to have some winter chill, to do its best, but for us, it is a fading memory.

Jeri (Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal)

• susan4952
    10 years ago

So pretty, mine died.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have Stormy Weather, I don't think it likes our heat, but it is rather purple only single more like purple splash

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

I have two Russelliana. The self planted one worked it's way through the abelia is about 7 feet tall.
    The one I planted on a slope (not where my other roses are) is sprawled all over the place. It seems like it could be trained on a trellis. The canes are flexible.

• User
    10 years ago

Would suggest Purple Skyliner....but nothing like a hybrid tea.

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve, thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know about the canes.

Kippy, I had not seen that one! You're right, the color matches Purple Splash perfectly. Since I can't find an HT purple maybe a Stormy Weather/Purple Splash/Stormy Weather trio would give a pleasant affect.

Thank you!