Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdlm_gw

Unusual and fun colored climbers

SdlM
10 years ago

Live in North Texas. Fragrance not an issue. But would like something that pops. It will go on a Pergola.

Ive seen fourth of july and purple splash but I have decided not to go with them. Would really like an orange or apricot, Im thinking Westerland, but any other unusual and fun colored climbers would be great. Let me know any suggestions.

Comments (6)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

'Rosarium Uetersen' is a traffic stopper, often a brilliant coral with vermillion and purple reflections. At times it can be salmon pink or a more normal medium red or deep pink, the last being its official color class. All the color variations are vivid and saturated. Looks great with blue and purple companions. It bears great numbers of large fragrant flowers in clusters the size of a volleyball. Mature plants repeat well. It is heat tolerant and resists blackspot in some gardens. It doesn't make true climbing shoots, but sets flowers at the end of temporarily flexible shoots averaging 6'. However, it will cover a good-sized support. I maintain mine at 10' x 10'. Downside, very thorny.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

In Texas you can grow Noisettes and climbing tea roses.

RU is a fabulous rose, but you might want to check with a local rose society about how well the Kordesii hybrids grow in your conditions.

Ginger Syllabub is an orange climber from Harkness which might work for you. It looks fabulous in pictures.

If you like yellow, there is always Merechal Niel.

Golden Celebration can, I believe, be trained as a climber. With its old gold huge blooms and quick repeat, it is indeed a traffic stopper.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you're looking for something fun and colorful I really love my Candy Land!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

My Rosarium Utersen is in the bed right next to the house (so gets warmth from the house).. It has survived our winters unprotected - but so far not too many blooms or much height. Next year is its 3rd year - hopefully it's not too cold here for it to leap!
    Carol

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

If you like apricot, try Royal Sunset - its beautiful! For reds, Dublin Bay and Dortmund. White - I love my Sally Holmes. I cut it like a standard - it is loaded with white blooms that are carried up past my head - it really stands out. I adore America - its a very different coral type shade that you might like. I am enjoying Crown Princess Margareta, though mine is paler than David Austin's photos of it. For a small pink bloom, I love Clair Matin and its fragrant. If you like orange/apricot, the mini Work of Art is really pretty - I was admiring mine this morning. I have seen Fourth of July blooming and it was really something - don't know why I haven't bought it.
    Judith

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

mmmm, shame it is so difficult to get hold of some of the European roses - in particular, there is a vibrant and ridiculously healthy little patio climber called Warm Welcome - for those keen on continuous orange bloomers, this is a terrific Chris Warner rose.