Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
diagnose and advise plz.

Posted by muks29 Lahore Pakistan (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 15:20

This rose is forming flowers and buds but the leaves are terrible. I am in Lahore Pakistan. Its approximately zone 10 b. Very very hot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: diagnose and advise plz.

Sorry -- Can't get a good look at your growth and foliage (but a great image of the variegated companion plant!)

Can you isolate a photo of the troubled growth?

Jeri in Southern California

o

The foliage looks like variegated pothos.

o

Well, I don't think it's the pothos he's inquiring about.

Jeri

o

The pothos looks nice but the canes and the graft look pretty bad. I would take some of that new growth and make some cuttings.

o

Do a web search for the pest called Chili Thrips. They are a world wide problem with many, many host plants and are especially bad on roses. They destroy foliage and without the foliage, roses suffer badly.

Two of the bits of new growth on your well established rose look good, but the one at center shows damaged leaves. That the buds are coming so low implies that the rose is stressed (that we see so few leaves is another clue.)

The state of Florida in the US has several good websites about these thrips and may help.

o

I agree with Anntn. It looks like chili thrips damage. We see it often here.
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here