Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Rose Rosette Slide show for talk

henry_kuska
11 years ago

If you are planning a talk on Rose Rosette Virus for a local meeting, the following may be useful:

http://www.aces.edu/home-garden/lawn-garden/pests/documents/RoseRosetteDisease-Jacobi.pdf

At present I do not agree with the information on slide 28:

"Glyphosate or herbicide damage can cause distorted growth.

⢠But doesnâÂÂt cause:

Reddened new growth

Rapid stem elongation"

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Comments (6)

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I view the entire link, very helpful - thanks, Henry.

My rose from Home Depot is the only one in my entire garden with multiflora parentage. It's the only one rose BY ITSELF, and I spreaded black plastic to kill grass, to make a huge rose bed for next year. That rose is practically isolated with a border of 10 feet of plastic in all directions.

If it's a herbicide damage, or Scott's Weed-feed white pellets from my fertilizer-spreader, that rose gets none, since it's surrounded by 12 feet of black plastic.

My bed of 15 Austins got plenty of Weed-Feed pellets since it's next to my lawn. All are clean. Same with 6 Knock-outs and many roses in other beds, bordered by the lawn. None of my roses have RRD after I removed that multiflora-rose in July, with thorniess early April and got progressively worse.

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can Weed-and-Feed contaminated water runoff affect roses?

Please see:
    http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/32/3/430.1.short
    Please note that Canna hybrida `King Humbert' is a rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• everyrose
    11 years ago

I'm concerned about this slide show. Its liable to send newbys into a panic and cause them to rip out perfectly good roses as soon as they show signs of new growth. Many roses will normally have reddish new growth. Emphasis should be made that reddish new growth is diagnostic only if it is not normal for that variety of rose. Many roses will have very vigorous new growth that is very thorny compared to the older canes. Many roses throw excessivly vigorous basil canes that look very different than exsisting canes. Experienced rosarians know what is normal for a rose and abnormal growth stands out like a sore thumb. The same cannot be said for those who are less experienced. Any talk about rose rosette disease should emphasize that anyone who is not sure if their roses have rose rosette disease should contact a local consulting rosarian through their local rose society for a diagnosis before panicing and ripping out roses. Thats what consulting rosarians are there for.
    Round up damage will affect new growth and if the rose normally has reddish new growth, the roundup damaged new growth will be red too.

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

everyrose, thank you for your comments. The only comment that I question is: "anyone who is not sure if their roses have rose rosette disease should contact a local consulting rosarian through their local rose society for a diagnosis before panicing and ripping out roses. Thats what consulting rosarians are there for."
    -------------------------
    My experience in 2 local rose societies is such that I "predict" (i.e. extrapolate) that some/many/most/all? of the local consulting rosarians in many clubs probably will not be able to distinguish between herbicide damage and rose rosette symptoms). I no longer have a consulting manual. Can someone look up what the current manual states about rose rosette virus?

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

The second edition has less information than the first and the Compendium of Rose Disease 2nd edition also has less than the first.

• barbarag_happy
    11 years ago

Call me a cynic, but when RRD showed up in a public garden here, we trotted around to 3 different county agents. All 3 confirmed it as RRD without any hesitation.

However we didn't have a "control"-- that is, a cane with herbicide damage.

I've seen both simultaneously in this garden & was easily able to distinguish.

Good point about the consulting rosarians IMHO!