Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

'Souvenir de Baden-Baden' / Pink Enchantment

michaelg
10 years ago

I haven't seen any comments on this recent Kordes hybrid tea, but I wanted to offer a preliminary thumbs up. It is disease resistant so far, but may not have been exposed yet to the full range of blackspot races that infest my garden. It got no cercospora spot in a season where that disease defoliated some roses. It is claimed to be mildew resistant, but I have not had any PM in the garden this season.

In cool weather I have been getting blooms that are prettier than most of the pictures on HMF. They are full and fairly high centered, cream with a mild pink picotee and center. There is a good fragrance. They have long stems that are heavily foliated with beautiful dark leaves, not too shiny.

My plant is an own-root from Roses Unlimited. It is showing more vigor than other own-rooted HTs I have grown.

I don't know how heat-tolerant it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

Comments (18)

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, Michaelg. I've looked at this one a couple of times and am tempted.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

I planted a SdBB grafted on Multiflora this spring also, very healthy looking so far. BS pressure has been very low in my area but PM pressure above normal & earlier this year. The rose next to SdBB has PM but no sign of it on SdBB. I also planted a Solero Vigorosa that is ADR certified & that has been very healthy looking also. I've seen very good results with the Easy Elegance & ADR roses in my garden so far.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

That is a lovely rose. I really like the picotee and don't have any picotee roses in my garden yet. You said you didn't know about heat tolerance, is it a recent acquisition?
    Susan

• rosybunny
    10 years ago

Thank you Michael, your report came at the perfect moment as far as I'm concerned because I was browsing through Edmund's new catalogue and was quite tempted to try this one, good thing I know now it prefers cooler weather, probably not a great choice for my garden.

Wishing you a warm and relaxing weekend.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting Michael, I've had my eye on this one for a while!

• michaelg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan, it never gets very hot in Asheville. I planted this one sometime during the 2012 season, I think fairly late.

I don't know whether the plant dislikes hot weather, but like most roses, the bloom quality improves in cool weather.

I have one on my desk that is crisp and fragrant in its fifth day. I carried it in for a half hour with no water and plunked it into plain water. Yesterday it was high-centered. Today it is tulip shaped with a full center, not cupped. (Some of the flowers are cupped.)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Yes, I forget you are in Asheville. What a beautiful place! I will add this one to my list to try.
    Thanks for sharing the photo and experience, I am always looking for fragrant, lasting cutting roses.
    Susan

• lainey2 VA
    10 years ago

Do you spray, Michaelg?

• michaelg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do spray but I give new roses a chance to show whether they are disease resistant. I haven't sprayed this one for some months. Still I'm not prepared to say it will continue to resist blackspot in my garden.

My carelessly-handled cut flower is still OK in its 6th day, so it does keep well for a fragrant rose. Unfortunately, there is generally an inverse relationship between fragrance and vase life.

The open flower is over 4" with 40 petals plus many tousled petaloids forming a quartered center. It is slightly cupped.

This post was edited by michaelg on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 15:35

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I got SdBB last yr from Pickering. It was in a big pot for a yr, and I recently planted it in the ground in one of my DA beds to replace one that died. As I recall from last yr, it got thrips reeeeeeally bad! This season it didn't get them quite as bad tho, but it only bloomed once before I put it in the ground. It kinda went into dormancy after that. Not sure why. The blooms are lovely and large, but they blow pretty fast. I have really warm temps, so maybe it would be better in the cooler climates. I dunno. We'll see how it does next season, after it's been in the ground for a yr.

This is the one bloom I got this yr:
    {{gwi:335288}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I just wanted to comment on what must be an exception to the fragrance-vase life relationship--Frederic Mistral. It is my most fragrant rose and consistently and significantly outlasts any other rose in any bouquet it's part of. But the competition isn't very stiff, since most of my roses are fragrant and don't last very long in a vase. Still, I consider FM to be an outstanding rose-for its huge, rounded shape (doesn't look anything like a typical Hybrid tea), continuous bloom, beauty, and vase life. Diane

• michaelg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane, I agree with that. I like FM for those reasons. In our climate it is susceptible to botrytis petal blight and blackspot, but still worthwhile.

Do others notice FM throwing floppy six-foot laterals all over the place in fall, some of them non-blooming? That's after growing to 8 x 6 in late summer, despite severe spring pruning and aggressive deadheading. In spring and summer there are plenty of flowers to justify all that growth, but in fall he seems to turn partially veggie.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Arg. Beth, mine looks nothing like yours! Did I get another mislabeled rose?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Michael,
    My FM does keep growing in fall--a lot, in fact, but they aren't the long floppy canes you mention--it's a general pushing outward of the entire shrub. I haven't noticed non blooming canes, either. He's getting so big, though, that I reluctantly had to cut FM back in a few areas so we could walk by without haven't a rose "confrontation". Diane

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

What does yours look like Susan?

• michaelg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ms. B-B is still fat and sassy after a week in the vase--now 5" with flattish rosette form.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Mine has more defined pink ? The plant seems bushier and less ht form. I think my blossoms had a bit of ruffle to them and a tinge of green on the outer petals. Didn't take a pic. She is is on year two from palatine...I think.
    Yours is lovely, Beth .

• michaelg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The amount of pink, the form, and the number of petals will vary with the weather. Mine has green tinges on the outer petals. The inner petaloids are ruffled.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner