Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zjw727

"Scentimental"..?

zjw727
10 years ago

Has anyone grown "Scentimental"? I've been thinking about it quite a lot lately, mostly because of it's wonderful, sweet scent. And the colors ARE what I consider to be "tasteful"- it's very much like Variegata di Bologna, but it re-blooms, and is a much more attractively shaped bush, from what I've seen. It also appears to not have TOO many petals, which helps against balling in my damp climate.

If anyone grows or has grown this, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it- whether they be praise or condemnation.

Thanks,

Zachary.

Comments (17)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Zachary -- I loved it. (At one point, I had 3.)

But the repeat wasn't satisfactory here -- tho that doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you. It is a lovely thing, IMHO.

Jeri

• amberroses
    10 years ago

I have Scentimental and it really does have a great scent. On fortuniana rootstock it is very vigorous and has above average disease resistance. Its main flaw is that the flowers don't last long on the bush.

• zjw727
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri,

I'm so glad to hear that from you! You know, that thread about VDB on the Antique forum sparked this interest- I'd noticed Scentimental at Heirloom months ago,without knowing anything about it, and thought it was charming. Then a few days ago I was at the Rose Garden in Portland and there was a nice hedge of it, and the flowers were just lovely. Especially the scent. It looked very healthy, as well.
    What kind of repeat did you get? Spring flush with afterwards just a flower here and there? Did you get rid of all three?

Amberrose, I wondered about that very thing.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I've had mine for many yrs. I have different climate than you do. I get summer temps into the 110s sometimes, and probably milder winters than yours. For me, it's not a great repeater, and why they call it SCENT-imental, I dunno. Not much scent. The blooms are lovely when it does bloom, but they don't really last all that long. There are better stripeys out there.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Its a winner in Orange County. Grows tall and repeats well with a sweet and spicy fragrance that sometimes reminds me of Double Delight. I don't cut the plant much. I just snap off old flowers and that helps the plant repeat quickly. I love the variation in the flowers. Don't let it go dry or the repeating slows down.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Loser here in Kansas. I dug mine up and gave it away. Too many BS problems, blooms quickly shattering, and slow repeat.

Kate

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Not a winner in my coastal part of Orange County. I got rid of it. Even in my cool climate, the blooms were one day, tops.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Amber -- We no longer have any of the three . . . But that's not altogether the fault of the rose. It was one of the last modern roses we planted here, and over the next few years, almost all of them transitioned out.

But if I were planting moderns -- I might very well still have at least one of the three, because I loved the bloom. Loved the stripes.

It bloomed heavily in the spring, here. Little during the hotter part of summer. And a smaller flush in the Fall. Not unlike its Hybrid Perpetual ancestor, 'Ferdinand Pichard.' But with much larger blooms.

I think that, as a plant, it's prettiest if allowed to grow very tall. I saw a giant plant years ago at Tom Carruth's home, and it was swoon-making.

Here's what its blooms looked like, in my garden.

Jeri

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

I grow scentimental in a container. It is now huge, grows every fast for me. Blooms well too. But blooms don't last very long and are prey to the winds- very delicate. Lasts maybe 7 to 9 days in a vase though and is very nice to look at. Attached is a picture of my first bloom after planting (about 2 years ago).

Best.

P.S I read the bug in the flower is actually a rose pest? Haha.

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

And another one. Does anyone know how to upload multiple pictures in a single post?

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

and the last. Sorry! Lol.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

dragoon--there is no way to load more than one picture per post if you use GW's method.

If you want to load multiple pics on one post, you will have to get a (free) account with photobucket.com (or some place like that), upload all your pics to that place, then copy the HTML CODE they create and paste it here at GW in the message box.

Your pics of Scentimental are lovely. Was I the only one who had regular BS problems with this rose?

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Blackspot is rarely an issue here in SoCal, so no. That was not a problem. But the blooms indeed did not last long.

Jeri

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I love my Scentimental here in hot, humid Alabama. It really struggled its first year, but improved tremendously its second year and has gotten better and better each year thereafter. ItâÂÂs not my quickest to repeat, but doesnâÂÂt shut down in our heat. I get small flushes throughout the summer. Blooms donâÂÂt last as long when itâÂÂs really hot, but they do last more than a day in my garden and hold their color well in the heat. Great scent, but sometimes fleeting. Mine is a nice shaped bush of about 5 x 4. It hasnâÂÂt completely defoliated on me since its first year, but its resistance to blackspot is not great here. It does require spraying to stay clean in my climate.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

I got Scentimental the year Edmund's offered it. It does get BS, has a wonderful fragrance, and blooms are beautiful, but first to die in a vase. It does better during the spring/fall. The blooms literally fry in the heat. I do like it, but 1 is enough.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Go with one of the newer stripes, or Rock N Roll, or Julio Iglesias instead. Just my opinion.

• Holly Kline
    10 years ago

I adore mine - it's my favorite scent of any of my roses, even over Mr. Lincoln. Nice shape, nice rebloom, and a lovely variety in coloration. Susceptible to blackspot, so you have to keep after spraying if you get it. Otherwise, I totally love it.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County