Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Uncharacteristic gopher...

roseseek
10 years ago

I know there are many moles in the front terraces, and I haven't found any evidence of gopher mounds in many months, but this Austin red recently turned from its general malaise to complete collapse over night. None of the English roses in the front terraces ever really look GOOD, unless I water them at least every other day, but this one seldom looked "happy" even then. Finally, just a few days ago, it completely collapsed.

I searched for any surface evidence of gophers and found nothing. However, when I pulled on the plant and it easily uprooted, the evidence was revealed.

{{gwi:335407}}{{gwi:335408}}{{gwi:335409}}{{gwi:335410}}

I'm not really troubled this rose is gone as it never really "pleased", and I know to expect Dr. Huey to resurface from what's left in the soil. I loaded the tunnel with bait, carefully covered the exposed areas with cardboard, soil and mulch in hopes of sending the varmint off to his eternal reward before he attacks something I actually care about. Now starts making sure the Terrors stay away from the area in case of any carcasses occurring on the surface. Kim

Comments (26)

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I didn't know they would eat roots that large. They must be like Panda bears, having to eat a large quantity to get any benefit. I hope this is the last attack.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, me, too! I've seen them eat the whole under side of a bud union before, so this didn't surprise me. What did is the total lack of any mounds or other digging. That's scary! Kim

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

That is one mean gopher. I had them in Vista(N. San Diego) I swear they had a condo Association going on. They tunneled from the neighbors yard (he couldn't bring himself to kill them) under the fence into ours, we all were on 1/2 ac. Never saw anything, no mounds until they got established. We got rid of them buy using gopher candies. They are used on the golf courses. Some nurseries carry them, mostly mom and pop.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

DAYuuuhm!!

I'd hate to run into that gopher in a dark alley.

I recommend napalm.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Gee that sucks Roseseek... :-(

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Sorry for your loss, Kim. Now get that blankety-blank before he gets more roses...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Are you sure don't have beavers? Just making a bad joke. That's the worst gopher damage I've ever seen. The best cure for mean gophers is a meaner badger. Love those guys. And I'm sorry for your loss, too. Diane

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, nope, no beavers. No water. I've had moles enter the drain holes of pots to root around inside them, and there have been gophers in these terraces before, but never without any other evidence. The only two plants in there I am fearful for are the sole remaining budded Grey Pearl "one cane wonder" and the one Purple Buttons I have. It's too hot and dry to dig them to protect them, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed.

• lookin4you2xist
    10 years ago

I had not heard of gopher candles. I have read of things, such as, using everything from Euphorbia lathyris to Wrigley's gum. Also, would something "sonic" work? I know you have a dog. Not something I see in Florida. Best of luck Kim. That damage is pretty scary looking.
    Regards,
    Andrew

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Sorry about your continued problems with these varmints. It seems like it's always something we're at war with in the garden.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

One really bad thing about them is that, even if you kill one, you can be sure that by spring, a new gopher will move into those palatial digs.

We won't use poison, because of dogs, hawks, and hunting cats. All of those do take a toll on our gopher population. Two properties here were extensively re-done in the past few years, and all of THIER gophers moved over HERE. So we no longer have a lawn -- but rather an open area where the dogs hunt gophers.

Any rose (and most other plants) to be planted in the ground MUST go inside protection. I have seen roots eaten down to one smooth stump. If it's on its own roots, you can sometimes salvage the rose. Budded? I think not.

I REALLY hate gophers.

Jeri

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. If by "gopher candles", you mean "Gopher Gassers" , I can't tell you how often, over the past nearly thirty years, I've followed the directions closely, only to find the burned-out hulls of them pushed from the holes by the gopher repairing its tunnel. Bait and a garden hose (used separately) have been the most successful in both gardens in which I've battled them. Just not out where this one is due to accessability. It's also worked quite well for a rather long time to fill any tunnels I found with the cat box waste and all the dog droppings I clean up.

"Gopher Purge" is the biggest hoax anyone can imagine. It is as invasive in warmer climates as any other Euphorbia, only it is not decorative nor attractive. Like Amaryllis belladonna and all other bulbs supposed to rid gardens of gophers, they do not. Gophers won't physically EAT them, but they WILL burrow right through their roots to get where they want to be. Been there, done it. When my sister bought her place in 1985 and discovered gopher issues, we planted Gopher Purge by the dozen. They didn't slow the gophers one bit and they were absolutely ugly. For nearly a decade after all were ripped out, new seedlings continued appearing where they had been.

Don't waste your money on the electronic gopher cures. I've observed them in three friends' gardens, all of whom have determined they did nothing to repel the varmints nor prevent them from damaging their gardens. Fortunately, all were bought where they could be returned and were.

Any "outdoor pets" here quickly become coyote bait, so cats aren't the answer. After this last one, there will never be another. He "cured" me of liking cats permanently. There are coyotes, owls, hawks, etc., but I never see evidence of their helping with this issue. Fortunately (and unfortunately) the only snakes I ever see here are black racers which aren't usually of any gopher help. So, I'm back to flushing tunnels with the hose; washing dog droppings down the tunnels and baiting. Fun stuff. Thanks. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Gopher Gassers

• jerijen
    10 years ago

You know, I've had little success with water -- but putting dog droppings down the holes DOES seem to put the little buggers noses out of joint.

It doesn't kill them, of course, but it makes them change course at least. AND the dogs stop digging at that particular hole. And that's important. Because Katie, in particular, will dig until she gets the gopher. One gopher gone = good. But the collateral damage is bad.

Jeri

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

The "candies"( that's what we called them) I am referring to are not those gas bombs. These are about the size of a nickel, green in color. They are soft like a marsh-mellow. They come in a bag of about 20. Throw them down the hole as far as you can with a little help from a stick. Never, never have I had one returned to me up top. We got rid of maybe 50 that way. Golf courses use these.
    Sometimes I would set on the porch w/the pellet gun and shoot them when they popped up. Actually that was the very best, instant gratification.

• subk3
    10 years ago

This might call for the Rodenator!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rodenator

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems VERY satisfying...except I live in an extreme fire danger area; on a 24% grade, slippery hillside north of Los Angeles. Imagine my neighbors' screams when they feel "the earth move under my feet" and hear the explosions! LOL! My luck, I'd trigger the next movement on the San Andreas! Kim

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Don't know if this would be effective on gophers, but there is hope if the problem is rats. I'm checking out the website of the company providing the sterilization product.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: As rates persist, transit agency hopes to curb their births

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I hate gophers, but I hate rats even more.

Our deeelightful neighbor poisons his gophers. Then, we find staggering, sick gophers coming across the street, into our yard, where the dogs are.

If my neighbor is ever found murdered . . .

Jeri

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We'll all know it MUST have been one of his poisoned, sick, staggering, delirious gophers who beat him bloody with that shovel, Jeri! LOL! It was a "revenge killing!" Kim

• jerijen
    10 years ago

The world will not be poorer for it. Trust me.

Jeri

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thankfully, only two of the nine neighbors who touch this slope fit that category. Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Not by a gopher but this morning I feel your pain. I went out to walk my roses and the nice fat bud showing color on Granada I was hoping to see open this week is gone! The entire cane is neatly sheared off and laying in pieces on the ground next to the rose...minus the bud. D* rabbits!!!!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

knocking on wood and too early to tell, but our wall, sonic gopher thing, windmills, rows of society garlic etc... And so far no return of the gophers.

It helps that the neighbors new kitty lives to hunt and that the neighbors are clearing out the pile of rumble so gophers are easy targets.

The week and $$$ spent on re-rat proofing the chicken coop seems to have them looking else where for dinner (of course that could also be the ripe persimmons too...ugh)

We have done pretty well with the in hole snap traps too. My guy must have the technique down, he bought a few of the traps and seems to fill the traps almost as soon as he sets them.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Kippy, with rats, we've had the best luck with zappers. Multiple zappers . . .

Jeri

• prickles
    10 years ago

gophers and rats?--no, only enterprising squirrels here at their little industry of farming peanuts and stones from fruits, and skunks searching for earthworms dig so deep into the rose bed that they expose some of the roots.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jeri, I need to invest in a few of those.

As long as a few neighbors have breeding grounds for them, they will continue to be an issue. It was only the little baby rats that used to make it in the coop. Now they are cat toys and are locked out! Varmints were digging 2 feet under pavers to get in.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting