Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many roses do you have?

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 16:28

I don't why, I have always been fascinated by how many roses other people have. I guess because I think I never have enough and always want more, but I know at my age there does have to be a cut-off point. I have about 70 and plan to add a few every year as long as I am able to care for them, I have a huge yard, so I have lots of room. Anyway, for those of you who would like to share, it is your chance to brag, whether it is one or just a few really special roses or hundreds or more, we're all rose lovers and in my opinion if you love roses there is no such thing as too many as long as you can handle caring for them or hire it done. Pictures of your garden or any special roses would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many roses do you have?

Having a lot of roses isn't necessarily something to brag about. I have a very large garden and then past that a collection of Ramblers. It is my life's work and many other things go by the wayside because of it. I am fortunate to have room and water. My strength and resources are limited. I do really love what I am doing. I have something over 1300 roses.

o

'It is my life's work'.........you don't say!

And for sure, I would be bragging (and knackered) if I had to maintain over 1000.

Anyway, I am just tipping around 100 (and quite enough work for me)

o

• Posted by zjw727 Oregon Coast 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 21:06

52...at this time.

o

85. Loose about 6-7 every winter.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 22:59

180 as of last Friday, 50 seedlings and 130 named varieties.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 23:30

Well, according to HMF, I have 1727. But there's probably a few that I could take off there because they've died. And there's tons that are still not on the HMF list, plus the several duplicates, and mismarked ones. So it's probably closer to 1800! LOL OMG and I just ordered about 8 or 10 for fall/spring delivery, and might order a few more. Auuggghhhh!! I'm nuts!!!

o

Appox 465+-

o

This is a great thread! Bragging? Rose lovers ? Never! Lol.

o

Dang, I'm new here on this forum and was sure that my 32 was going to be the winner!!! Talk about being humbled.... I'm still in the starting gate. Anyhow, I can now walk tall as I know a lot of folks crazier than I am.... (a whole lot more!!!!!!!!)
BTW, all but two are ZD and my fence line sure pops each Spring!!!!

o

Very pretty !!

o

Toolbelt68 - What a beautiful display. If you choose just one or two ZD is good choice, very impressive. Beth, I knew you must have a lot, always enjoy yours so much. Whatever number you have, whether it's just a few or bunches and gobs isn't the key, it is how much joy they bring. I just think it is fun to know. I guess I became interested in knowing when I used to be a member of the ARS. It was in name only, so I could get the magazine. I would have to go 60 miles to the nearest meeting place and I've never been too keen on big city driving, although I'm sure some of you think, "Tulsa, that's not big city". Sometimes they would list info about the contributors and state how many roses some of them had. I knew I was a little crazy for always wanting so many, but no way could I ever match those numbers, but I think it's a good kind of crazy if it brings enjoyment. If it ceases to be fun, it wouldn't be worth it. I know roses can be a headache at times, but to me the pleasure they bring outweighs that part of it. I appreciate everyone who has shared so far, thanks.

o

I figure I'll be that crazy rose lady (beats the crazy CAT lady) but I think cats are easier to care for than roses....
They definitely bring infinite joy...I think I have close to 200 but most are babes...
Going to have to start planning front yard space for roses!
Susan

o

I have around 65 roses--and that is getting to be too much for me to care for. I'm trying to convince myself not to replace any roses that die--that ways I may slowly bring them down to a more manageable number--but I only have a 50% success rate on that strategy so far.

I do miss ordering at least a handful of new roses every spring, but I must admit that the half-dozen new roses I got the few years are some of the very best roses I've ever grown--like Munstead Wood and Lady of Shalott, for instance!

Kate

o

I have 109 at the moment. Hoping to pick up a few more OGRs this weekend and planning to add a few Austins this spring (I haven’t tried growing them here in many years). That should give me a pretty well rounded assortment. I’m going to try to slow down for a few years after that. Running out of time to maintain the growing number of them and space that’s either irrigated or can be reached easily with a hose. Once I get my youngest through college (she just left for her freshman year this fall), hopefully I’ll be able to semi-retire and ditch the 110 mile round trip to work and back each weekday. That should free up some time to tend to more and some funds to expand the irrigation. I’m telling myself I can be happy enjoying my current roses and planning my retirement beds and will have the willpower to resist too many new additions in the coming years...will see how that goes...

o

25 years ago I had over 200. What remained was about 15 and I planted 4 more this year. Realistically I didn't have room for 200. Trees and other foliage have grown over time and If I wanted to plant the maxium number where there was adequate sun I could plant 25 more and 20 would be in a place were I had only planted 2.
I must have had a bad case of rose fever.

o

I thought I was going overboard! You all make me feel better. :) I have 14, which will turn into 18 in the spring. Not much room or I'd have way more. . .but I plan for the future!

o

I thought I was going overboard! You all make me feel better. :) I have 14, which will turn into 18 in the spring. Not much room or I'd have way more. . .but I plan for the future!

o

HMF says that I have 128, but there are around 140 ish if you count duplicates and roses without names. There's a little of everything out there, moderns & antiques. The only roses that I do not have are those for cold climates (gallicas and the like) and house eaters (ramblers, etc.). I don't really think I could do more than that.

o

This is really interesting. I have around 35 roses. Heat in my parts is tremendous. Keeping these alive is a tough job. But I plan on adding 30 to 50 more this november . In November thats our winters , roses do best. Its like magic time for them .

o

Even if I tried to brag, which I agree with MendocinoRose isn't the point, I'd look like a piker against the numbers of roses she has and Beth has! I'm going to estimate about 750, up a bit from the HMF garden listings for the duplicates and roses I haven't added yet. I don't have a huge garden, though it's about double the size of an average suburban yard, but in zone 5 roses don't grow quite as big as elsewhere, and I don't grow the house eating Albas and Gallicas that would be huge in my zone.

Once they're planted in the spring, maintenance takes a couple of hours on the weekends for deadheading and maintenance pruning, but I work more than full time and have a family, so I can't (yet) spend as much time as I'd like. It means the roses mostly have to fend for themselves without any spraying, but that would be my preference even with all the time in the world. The point is to enjoy the roses you have, and not to let the growing or acquiring of more roses become a stress. For me, however many roses I do or don't have, they are my down time and excuse for some "me" time. If they ever get to be anything other than a stress relief, that's when I start downsizing.

Cynthia

o

I love this thread. I too have often wondered how many roses you guys have.

I have 42 ( approximately - Not counting all the cuttings and seedlings.). I rent, so i have my favorite roses in pots.

Owning 42 roses in my area is unusual. I'm considered a Rose hoarder. :-)

M

o

Well I am on the other end of the spectrum, yet a new addict. I have one, yes one, rose planted in my gardens and 5 in pots I am going to over winter in my shed to plant out in spring as they are considered 'tender' for the area by my garden centre.

I partially blame my addiction on this forum. If everyone wasn't so nice and helpful I might have gone along with the notion that roses are 'tricky' to grow. You have cost me thousands, thanks *smile*.

Now how to limit my Pickering order to 10 when the wife thinks it is 5.

SCG

o

I managed to stuff 850 into an acre .

o

I have almost 500 and would be well over that if RRD hadn't taken out 50+. I also have 11 cats, who claim they help with the roses. But the other day I caught several of them sitting around chatting with the deer, so I'm not sure whose side they are on.

o

Boy am I glad I found this forum!!!
Mendocino_rose and Sara-Ann glad you liked the pictures. I have to agree that ya gotta enjoy them or forget about it!! Our whole place is here for our enjoyment, and we don't worry about curb appeal. Come Spring we will have at least 5 Robin, 4 Dove, and a Mocking bird nest built in the rose bushes. Each trellis will have at least two nest per season. The doves trust us so much that I added a wire mesh to keep their eggs from falling through their skimpy nest without them moving while I did it. That doesn't count at least 50 sparrows or our bats. We have to clean out the bird bath each day. We toss out 10 big handfuls of sunflower seeds each morning. One would think that we live way out in the country side for all of the animals that visit us but guess what, we live almost in the center of over 2-3 million people.....
Tonight when we let the dog out to do her duty two rabbits were eating clover and just looked up, saw us, and went back to eating. We enjoy our place!!!!! Thanks for listening....lol

o

I have around 75 which is just right for me since I hand-water and live in a hot and dry area where I would feel guilty using more water than that for a garden, and it's really all I can handle. Although not large in number, the roses have been one of the great joys of my life.

o

I appreciate everyone who has contributed so far, thanks.

o

• Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 8:31

I have 13 roses and I'm already worried my house-minders aren't going to be able to care for them properly when I go away at the end of the year - our very hot summer. There 's a sale of heritage roses this Sunday on the other side of the city and I'm going there to test out my resistance. Also to see the display in their rose garden. I'd love to get a Francis Dubreuil...

o

In Connecticut I had as many as 300 and here in Pasadena it is about 100 not counting 82 miniatures. I was overwhelmed in CT and never really was able to keep up after the spring flush so here in SoCal I thought 100 would be easy. Guess what. It's not as easy here as I thought. Roses grow like crazy so one huge HT might equal three or four in CT. So now I'm wondering if I overdid it again.

o

Five years ago I had about 65. Now about half that. Its just too much work to keep roses here. I do OK with black spot and Japanese beetles, but the midge have defeated me.

Tamora hangs on:

Tamara bush photo DSC_0043-1_zpsa431e4b1.jpg

o

Harryshoe - Too bad you have so much to contend with, that is a lovely rose anyway. The RRD thing is kind of scaring me right now. I've had one infected rose, keeping my fingers crossed.

o

Harry, I'd say your Tamora is doing much more than just hanging on. Still, it sounds like a lot of negatives to contend with, and that can take the fun out of growing roses. I've found that growing roses is a lot like life: If it's not one thing it's another.

Ingrid

o

Would be nice to hear from more of you, if you would like to share.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 17:09

I have around 200. I was thinking of cutting way back, but I do love them. The fragrance, the colors, the arrangement of the petals, the fragrance...

o

I seem to remember the accounting method for roses means one does not count cuttings, bands, duplicates, seedlings, ones with similar names......

Using that method I am well under 100 :)

But, big garden means roses occupy just a small amount of regular care. If I happen to notice some dead heads while mowing or edging what little lawn we have, that gets done. Otherwise they have to pretty much care for themselves (they are on drip systems) which they do rather well.

It seems to me like some people spend a lot more time on a few plants than others do on a bunch, the wonderful thing about gardening is that we don't all have to do the same things.

o

Not counting duplicates - 39. I'm aiming to break 50 next spring.

o

harryshoe, I'm so glad you dropped in. I remember when you had to make the big decision about cutting the number of roses you grow in half. I've often thought about that as I realize I can't keep up very well with the 65 I presently have. Glad to see your remaining roses look so wonderful! Always enjoyed your pics of your roses.

Kate

o

Great photo, catsrose! Gave me a giggle.

o

I have 205 different roses, duplicates of several and many more plants of some. I don't know how this happened as I always thought a hundred roses would be a nice even number for my not very large garden. I was sure many roses were dead after our terrible spring and was quite reconciled to the idea but most came back. I am a rose rustler and have been given quite a few local roses and other found Swedish roses, with or without names. I can say no thanks now to such kind gifts and I've began to cull my collection recently. I've developed an interest in ornamental trees and shrubs and need to make room for them and for more fruit trees and soft fruit bushes.

o

I am growing 135 roses in my Louisville,KY garden. I still feel that I can care for them even tho every year new issues come up. I dug up a few this fall but will replace them in the spring. I can`t imagine life without my roses! Lesley

o

I have 27 in my tiny Brooklyn back yard. Many are in containers, and of those quite a few were intended as gifts and then it was the wrong season to plant them or they were too little as yet and wouldn't survive, or I simply decided the recipients wouldn't cherish them. Or they are duplicates, because -- you never know when you might need a backup in case one didn't make it. I really have to get rid of some. How I hanker for a quince tree! I don't think you can grow quinces in containers, though.

o

Thanks again everyone, appreciate all of you. Lesley, such a lovely picture, you certainly have a knack for design. Was wondering what red variety that is?

o

Quinces in containers - yes you can.....although not the enormous cydonia oblonga but the smaller ornamental quinces (chaenomeles sp)....which will, as well as delightful blossoms, also produce many perfectly edible quinces.....and while you are at it, check out the equally lovely medlars.

o

You guys are so funny with your crazy math. Of course we can't count duplicates, miniatures, bands, seedlings, roses without names, roses we mean to give away someday, roses that aren't currently blooming, roses bought on the clearance rack, or novelty roses. So really I have hardly any at all. Where's that rose catalog?

o

16 more or less. If I dont like a rose or it doesnt live up to my expectations after a few seasons, I (gasp!), toss it. That is, if no one else wants it. Then I'll replace it. This year's casualty was New Dawn. Too big, too little bloom. My property is only 90x90' with our house placed oddly angled in the middle. I have other garden obsessions to feed as well, so I'm limited in my rose space. The ones I keep, though, are really 'keepers."

o

Amberroses, it's called fuzzy math!!! And I agree with you there are a lot of folks here who use it. That is all except you and me of course but I'm still a little doubtful about you..... LOL Love this forum!!!!

o

I have 41 roses now........and along with other perennials, dahlias, and annuals.........they keep me busy .

carol

o

Sara-Ann, the red rose in the picture is Armadeus. It has been a wonderful rose with a lush spring bloom and a few blooms thru out the season. I really love this rose. I got it from Palatine. LesleyP.S. This picture has 4th of July with Armadeus.

o

I just checked my master list and other than cuttings and any rose I might have forgotten, even with duplicates I am under 100. (99)

On the other hand, my fruit tree list is at about 70

o

Thanks Lesley, it is really lovely. Kippy, wow 70 fruit trees, I think that is great, What kinds do you have?

o

I have too many for someone in my health condition, BUT not nearly enough to satisfy my desire for them. I love them so... ♥

o

Lovely photo Lesmc. Kippy 70 fruit tress is amazing. I can barely keep up with ours. We have nut trees too. My husband planted them all before I started planting roses.

o

Currently 72, but then I moved into my wife's house so most of my roses are in pots waiting for new garden space to emerge from a huge patch of ivy and St. John's Wart that my wife grew because it was NO maintenance.

To make the garden very Hummingbird and Butterfly friendly there is already a lot of hardy fuchias and various types of sage planted.

o

Many of the fruit trees were planted by my dad, but probably an equal number are new replacements. I think we had at least 150 when I start clearing out the yard. It was a jungle!

Copied off my spreadsheet:

Lemon-Eureka
Lemon-Eureka
Lemon-Pink Varigated Eureka
Lemon-Meyer Dwarf
Lemon-Meyer Standard
Lemon Monachello
Lemon root stock
Oranges (6x Navel)
Oranges (6x Navel)
Oranges (6x Navel)
Oranges (6x Navel)
Oranges (6x Navel)
Oranges (6x Navel)
Oranges-Blood Moro
Oranges-Blood Tarocco
Orange Cara Cara
Mandarin-Satsuma
Mandarin-Clementine
Mandarin-Golden Nugget
Mandarin-Seedless Kishu
Mandarin Page
Lime-Key
Lime-Bearrs
Grapefruit-Dwarf
Grapefruit-Standard
Nippon Orangequat
Australian Finger Lime
Pomegranate-Wonderful
Pomegranate-Red Angel
Pomegranate Eversweet
Pomegranate Parfianka
Guava; Strawberry, Hedge row
Guava; Apple
Guava; Pineapple
Apples ? Upper garden
Apples ? Lower Garden
Apples ? Fence
Apple-Beverly Hills
Apple-Petingale
Apple Golden Dorsett
Apple Anna
Peaches Raspberry 1
Peaches Raspberry 2
Peach gate
Peach-Red Baron
Peach-Santa Barbara
Peach Babcock
Nectarines Artic Star
Nectarine-Panamint
Pear Bartlett
Pear Steckel
Plum ? Methley
Plum Mariposa
Apricots Blenheim
Apricot-Gold Kist
Aprium Flavor Delight
Pluot Flavor Grenade
Pluot Flavor King
Pluot Dapple Dandy
Fig
Persimmons, Fuyu 3x
Persimmons, Fuyu 3x
Persimmons, Fuyu 3x
Persimmons, Giant Fuyu
Persimmons, Hachiya 3x
Persimmons, Hachiya 3x
Persimmons, Hachiya 3x
Banana
Zapote
Avocado-Hass
Grafted tree w three varieties

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 14:58

Abt. 150-- MOL.... less when they succumb to Chili Thrips in my no-spray garden...more when I covet what I know deep-down won't survive, I'm just weak.....also cats, 7 now, 4 inside their paws have never touched grass, and 3 outside still part-wild but allow me to feed them.... and orchids my new passion, I'm learning how to keep them alive, Dens and Phals and graduating to Catts and looking for some Oncidiums, Dancing Lady and Sharry Baby... plus fruit trees, mango, papaya, banana, loquat, kumquat, pecan, and more, ...I hate grass and have been eliminating it gradually over time! My Doctor says keep it up it's what keeps this old girl going (age 86 and counting)...have fun, LOL, sally

o

I have 48 here in my small, coastal garden. That's enough for me to manage.

o

I have fewer fruit trees than kippy, only 4 apples and a meyer lemon; fewer years than sally, only 60 instead of 86 (good for you, Sally!); and way fewer roses than many at only 150. It's all enough for me, though.

Kippy, do you sell your excess fruit at a fruit stand or a farmer's market?

o

My collection has diminished to about 130 from a high count of 270. I no longer feel confident in caring for the climbers. I am trying to look at gardening in a more practical perspective - closer to the ground, and easy care. I also have come to appreciate the use of other bushes and flower since they tend ot draw attention to the rose.

Sara Ann, are you around Tulsa? That is where I live.

Each year it gets hotter and hotter.

Sammy

o

About the fruit trees, Dad had about 150 on the property before I started cleaning it up. They had to compete for space and light so many had grown super tall. Because falls from ladders are a concern, we are cutting the ones that will come back low. Many I just took out because there were so many duplicates or poorly producing trees. About half the current list are trees that have been planted in the past a couple of years. I have about 10 more that I plan on getting this bareroot season. I should note, part of dads plan was that the trees on the lot are not just ornamental, but product food. For about the last 10 years we have given away tons of persimmons, but that got to be too much so most of those trees have been removed.

Going forward, the goal is to keep the trees short enough to pick from the ground. This will also mean we will get less fruit per tree which is fine since we have so many. Also, I am trying to spread out the ripening dates so we can enjoy things like the stone fruit from May thru August rather than a few crazy weeks in summer.

We used to sell the fruit at a stand when I was a kid, later at the swapmeets, but now it is the farmers market that is big. I have to decide if I want to take the time & money to become certified organic or maybe do some kind of home delivery of currently available fruits and veggies.

In the mean time, mom enjoys sharing with her church and friends and I have learned to can!

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 22:13

I got interested in how many I have in the ground - so made a list. Wow, have 186 currently planted. Now....according to the "fuzzy math" discussed above - I don't have to count bands and other assorted potted roses that need to go in the ground. With Vintage going out of business, I couldn't NOT get these! I am afraid to count the pots...... Probably have too many, but they are all cared for and look good [now that the heat is gone]. I assume this doesn't mean I have to add in 10 dogs, 7 cats, 37 miniature horses and 109 chickens. I don't know how I get all this done every day, but it seems to work out......

o

I have a small 10 roses. lol And that's enough for me! Plus with all the perennials, clematis, etc. On a small mobile home lot!

o

Lol, Kentstar, that sounds minimalistic and quite cozy! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here