Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

do you have 10 acres for regan's ????

andreark
9 years ago

First, I am not an employee of Regan's Nursery in Fremont, just a truly devoted
fan for over 35 years.

The following information was not given to me by the owners or any of their employees. It is simply information shared with me by other devotees.

They are going to have to move by the end of the year, I believe. And I also believe that they haven't found a new location in the East Bay area close to Fremont.

I think that so many of us would be devastated to see one of California's, possibly one of the country's finest nurseries lose it's home. If anyone that I ever meet is looking
for help with flowers, I always send them to Regan's. The first rose I ever bought was a Pristine Standard from Regan's for my mom over 35 years ago. (I am now dripping all over my keyboard.)

If any of my Forum friends knows of a possible site for my favorite nursery in the world to move, please let them know! Not just for their sake, but for yours and mine.

Very emotionally yours,

andrea

Comments (8)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Andrea - I do hope they find a new location. It would be sad indeed if they had to close. They have a superb selection of modern varieties and their rose bushes are top quality.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

My favorite for years. Sad and scared. Must be pricey real estate.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

A friend and I were just planning a spring trip there and then to Annies Annuals. Drats. Calif. land prices are ridiculous.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

What's equally tragic is that I do have the land, a seventeen acre island in the Holston River.

Now for the negatives: Rose Rosette Disease
    My own conscience would never let me send roses from here to places where there is no RRD/RRv.
    There is no vibrant gardening community and a neighbor about five miles away did sell miniature roses from her home (on a state route, just off a US Hwy) and maybe had one walk in buyer a month.

Also lots of Black Spot, some Cercospora and Anthracnose and occassional gardens that get Downey Mildew in Fall.

Oh, and the occasional pesky very late winter hard freezes that really are hard on growing plants of all kinds. And summer dry months.

Years ago on Gardenweb I talked about what a great place east Tennessee was to grow roses. Then karma came and kicked me and other rose growers real hard in our backsides.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I am very sorry to hear it and understand what a loss it will be. I enjoyed visiting Regan's when I stayed a month in Palo Alto. I couldn't buy a rose to take home to Sweden but I bought some terracotta ornaments as a keepsake from this lovely place. I even kept the plastic bag for years.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear this. I've gotten some amazing roses from them. They carry a lot of the older HTs that I love. They are also a good source for some breeder's roses that are hard to find like John Sheldon. It would be another major loss to the rose world.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

What affordable land is left, really that is appropriate for rose nursery operations?
    Lower Mid West?
    I have no idea. Seems ARE does well in TX. RU in South Carolina. Rogue/Heirloom are both in Oregon, correct?
    Obviously it's just a matter of time before California dries up and blows away. That is not said lightly nor as a joke. It is very frightening what is going on out there. I saw some statistics the other day on what percentage of our fruits, veggies etc. come from CA. The drought forecast is not good and it seems the drought areas are spreading farther north and south, even reaching into Oregon.
    Maybe Regan's should consider a greenhouse in upper Canadaâ¦.shouldn't be too long until they could do away with the greenhouse.
    What kind of legacy are we leaving our children?
    Trees, great while they lasted!
    Susan, who just had to rant to folks who understand.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    9 years ago

I have Regan to thank for many of the bare root roses that I planted this year. Their bare root roses have top-notch quality and the best thing is I can pick them up locally. I live south of SF.

I contacted them a few month ago asking about their relocation plan so that I can either select picking up locally or shipping for my 2015 order and one of the ladies there said they will be in the same location through July of 2015. So, I think they still have time to find a good place for their new nursery.

This post was edited by bayarea-girl on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 11:47