Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susurro2u2

newly planted rose bands

susurro2u2
10 years ago

My 8 roses just arrived in the mail from jackson and perkins . I planted them in the ground . and they have scattered leaves around them. it is now oct. 20 they were planted.

2 zeffys
2 jane seymour florabundas
1 blackcherries
2 monkey business
1 america climber
ALSO
and my newly rooted cuttings were planted
2 zeffys
2 viking queen
1 mayflower
1 scepter,d isle

The question is:
Will they make it through my zone 5a northeast NY winter.
I am on the Adirondacks border. near the hudson river.

What can i do to help their chances of surviving through the winter?

Thanks for your advice.
Dennis

Comments (3)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Unless you freeze and *stay frozen* covering causes problems. If the J&P roses are two year old bareroots, they are large enough to have a decent chance. The rooted cuttings are going to be a lot more problematic. I usually had mine spend the winter inside, in a cool, damp basement under lights.

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

I got the Black Cherry Floribunda and Monkey Business from J&P a few weeks ago as well and although they were large cuttings, they were still bareroot cuttings.

As long as the roots are hardy then they should survive but when I planted J&P roses last year late in the year they struggled the following year (my Disneyland is barely over five inches tall this year). I would make sure the ground is mulched around them. You didn't by any chance plant them next to the house did you? That would increase their chances due to protection from the wind and some warmth radiating from the house.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

It says a lot about the quality of the new J&P that they sent these out to such a cold zone this late in the season. Most good nurseries would have set a date for shipment next spring. In your zone these are going to be very hard pressed to survive this winter. I know that Mad is correct that heavy mulching can cause disease problems but personally I think it's the only chance these have of making it through your winter.

Hopefully you planted them deep. Even if they are own root plants deeper is better in your zone. Instead of mulching with leaves I would suggest mounding them as high as possible with soil. You can actually bury them completely, like they do when they do the Minnesota tip. If you do this make sure that you put markers around them so you know where they are and can find them and unbury them come spring.

I don't ever recommend keeping roses in the house. It's a very tricky thing to do. They need much more humidity than a normal house has and even with lights they won't be happy. They also tend to have terrible problems with spider mites as well. If they were still potted I would suggest getting one of the small free standing green houses to put them in, outside, for the winter. The green house was very inexpensive at Big Lots (you can also find them on line this time of year) and I've had very good results with doing this with my seedlings and new cuttings.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm