Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

Anna's Promise

pat_bamaz7
9 years ago

New Week's (Carruth) release for 2015. There was one mixed in with the clearance roses at a local nursery last month, and it followed me home :) Unusual coloring, nice scent and super dark foliage. Supposedly good disease resistance, but way too soon to tell on that.

{{gwi:335543}}

{{gwi:335544}}

{{gwi:335546}}

{{gwi:335547}}

{{gwi:335548}}

Comments (27)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Love it! I just bought this one too, but no flowers yet for me.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Love the color Pat, it's beautiful!

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Ohh that is a beauty! Love love love the color!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I love it too!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

The coloring looks very similar to that of About Face. This rose is prettier though IMO.
    The cupped stage you show is very striking!!
    Carol

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the sneak preview. I've ordered one for the spring.

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Love mine! The blooms are just gorgeous. :)

• kstrong
    9 years ago

I;ve been growing Anna's Promise for a year now, and to me it seems like almost the same rose as About Face. Very, very similar in all respects, except maybe fewer thorns, and the green color of the foliage is less gray than About Face. (About Face has foliage that is a strange color and a stiff texture with even the foliage having annoying thorniness underneath that snags everything, especially your skin when you reach into the plant.)

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Thought I would post pictures since itâÂÂs such a new rose without much info available yet. Carol & Kathy, it does look a lot like its parent, About Face. I've always loved the coloring of About Face, but passed on it due to lack of fragrance. The few blooms AP has given me so far seem to have a nice scent. Kstrong & Holly, have you noticed much fragrance with yours? BTW, Holly, how is Over the Moon doing for you?
    Here are a couple more pictures. These from this morning after strong storms passed through last nightâ¦so apparently she is fairly rain tolerant:

{{gwi:335549}}

{{gwi:335550}}

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Nice photos of Anna's Promise! I planted mine in a combination deal from Edmunds this spring, and this rose has settled in very nicely with clean foliage and good prospects of a nice root system to survive the winter. I disbud throughout my first year so I don't have any official photos, but one or two blooms snuck past me this summer, which is usually indicative of a very healthy growing plant in my zone.

Hoovb, as I understand it, this is part of a new series of roses that will be dedicated to the show Downton Abbey. Having never seen the show, or frankly much of any TV for the past several years, I have no information beyond that, but it may not be a specific "promise" event but her promise for the future. Needless to say, I bought it for the delightful colors and health of the rose, not its unfortunate marketing connections. Still, it's no worse than any of the multitude of roses named after celebrities, some of which are either has-beens or "never-was" celebrities by the time the rose comes out.

Cynthia

• braverichard (6a, North MO)
    8 years ago

nippstress, how did Anna's Promise do for you last winter in zone 5? I actually ordered one bareroot from Breck's in a combination deal and I'm contemplating where to plant it based on hardiness (needs protection vs. does not need protection). Breck's says it is hardy to zone 4 which I know has to be a lie, other websites report zone 5 or 6 so hard to say who is right.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

Downton Abbey is one of my favourite show of all time. It is an English series and this fall would be the series 6th season and last. It is about an aristocratic family and their servants (numerous characters to mention) around the turn of the last century. The interesting aspect of this show is that it shows all the lives of different classes hence it differ from previous shows which mostly spotlight on the upper class for example.

Anna, the head maid whom this rose is named, went through many challenges to be with the love of her life, Mr. Bates. Give this show a chance if you get the opportunity.

I would definitely buy this rose for sentimental reason but I read that she is prone to bs.

8 years ago

I totally understand, I'm just trying to get info on how it did in zone 5 last winter to make my decision.

• cadiarose
    8 years ago

I debated on ordering this, but decided not to. Too many "wants", not enough space! I do like the coloring very much. Thanks for posting the pic!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Pat, your photos are just exquisite. The coloring of this rose is enough to make me want to buy it, and the porcelain like petals are just icing on the cake. I had pretty much ignored the debut of this rose, not realizing how lovely it was. Diane

8 years ago

Mine is growing very fast, mostly upright and some outwards in a pot on my deck. I potted it at the end of March and it has 6 buds on it now. I can't wait for it to bloom. I'm just still hoping nippstress responds with feedback on how it did last winter in zone 5.

• Holly Kline
    8 years ago

The winter here in 7a killed mine off. *pout* It was in a container, but the container froze and shattered. I suspect it would have been OK in the ground.

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mine was in a pot, too, and it also died over our unusually hard winter. I really liked the rose the short time I had it, so I bought another that I will be putting in the ground this time. Mine might have done better potted over winter if it had an earlier start.

8 years ago

Mine is in a pot on my deck, 8 blooms coming up! Growing vigorously, I've decided to keep her in a large pot and over winter in my attached but unheated garage. I can't wait to see the blooms

• Katie
    8 years ago

Gosh you sure take fabulous photos!

Pic four and five - the petals remind me of crepe paper. What a lovely rose!

• dara_gardener-Vancouver Island, Z8
    6 years ago

Anyone have an update on Anna's Promise rose? Is it black spot prone? Anymore winter dieback? I'm thinking of planting one in a large pot too.

• Jesse Whitson
    3 years ago

Does anyone still own this rose? I have been trying to find it but I am having no luck this time of year. If anyone has it and is willing to offer a cutting, I will pay you for it. I just think it would look great in my garden.

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

High Country Roses is where I got mine

• Jesse Whitson
    3 years ago

Yea they are all sold out.

• Darragh Worledge
    3 years ago

I am growing 'Anna's Promise' in a large pot. It is doing fairly well there, as well as roses ever do in pots for me. No disease problems. Very pretty flowers.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz