Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccastle_weber

Rose bushes as hedges?

mccastle.weber
12 years ago

Do you think I can plant some rose bushes as a hedge for the front of my house? I live in Central Florida, and I have these horrid plain hedges, I dont even know what they are called, but I am pulling them up and looking for an alternative. How do you think knock out or double knock out roses would do?

Comments (10)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Roses make beautiful hedges! Besides the Knock Outs take a look at Bonica. I had a friend that lined her entire fence around the backyard in them and it was a totally amazing display!

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

Old Roses from these 3 classes are bushy and make good hedges,
    Polyantha: Mlle. Cecille Brunner' a fragrant pink rose c. 4' tall, there are bigger forms and climbing forms.
    'Perle d'Or' dainty peach colored blooms, can be kept to c. 5 feet tall.
    Old Garden Tea; Westside Road Cream Tea' 4 and 1/2 feet tall.

I think the Shrub rose "Nearly Wild' would make a beautiful low border hedge of c. 2-3 feet tall.
    -all have attractive foliage.

Old Garden Tea rosebushes are evergreen and hold their foliage during autumn, and into winter, which makes for a prettier hedge in the long run, in my opinion.
    Plus, you'll have roses in your garden that you probably won't see elsewhere in your neighborhood.

These are good hedge rosebushes because they are bushy, meaning they have lots of foliage and branches for a hedge.

see antique rose forum for more Polyanthas and Old Garden Tea roses.
    Best of luck,
    Luxrosa

• jerijen
    12 years ago

A very good choice for a hedgerose in FL should be the red China, Louis Philippe. It grows all over Florida, I gather, and grows like a weed.

I think 'Old Blush' would do it, too.

Here in SoCal, we have six plants of 'Golden Celebration' planted to make a privacy hedge outside our bedroom window. From inside, you look out at green leaves and golden blooms.

Jeri

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

If you get any KO's be ready. They get VERY big. Cypress Gardens use to have Summer Snow & Pink Summer Snow as a backdrop hedge out front of the main entrance. Easy to grow and easy to keep clean. 3 or 4 times a year taking electric hedge clippers and shape them up. I know, back in the early 1980's I did it and took care of the different rose gardens inside. Long story, big money takeover. Sad ending.

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

McCastle.weber, a very good rose in Florida is the Bourbon, Souv de la Malmaison, especially is you're not going to spray fungicide. It won't get as big/tall as Louis Philippe, is healthy, green and blooms continually lovely pale pink to whitish flowers. She's a mannerly bush that you won't have to cut back and doesn't even need pruning. Mine is 3 years old and not even 4' tall by about 4' wide. She loves our heat and humidity. She will cycle through aging leaves and then leaf out again beautiful deep green and cover herself with luscious flowers. If I could only have one kind of rose, she would be it.

{{gwi:274301}}

{{gwi:323472}}

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I just KNEW it had to be beautiful SOMEWHERE.

Here, it is a scrawny, mildewy, un-opening mess. That's really lovely.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

My SdlM looks just like Sherry's even though our weather and soil conditions are different. No disease, blooms never ball, always in flower and a bushy plant. Jeri, I wonder if your cold morning fog is not this rose's cup of tea.

Ingrid

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    12 years ago

To make a nice 4'hedge use Jean Kenneally!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    12 years ago

I have a hedge alternating Louis Phillipe with B's Dream. It's quite beautiful, but also quite large. Spectacular when they're all in bloom. Absolutely no care, unless you wanted to keep it smaller. Blooms smell delicious on both.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Ingrid, of course a coastal climate promotes botrytis in SdlM.

But aside from that, few Bourbons are optimal choices for MOST Southern California gardens. There surely are exceptions, but as a GENERALIZATION, I wouldn't recommend them. There are just better options.

Jeri