Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzstitch

Advice for rose selection

mzstitch
10 years ago

I'm starting to prepare my orders for next spring, and one of my plans is to plant a hedge of roses below my front large window. The window's bottom is 4 ft from the ground, so I wouldn't want it to go much more than a half foot higher. Ideally I want the rose to be about 4 ft in height at maturity. I want to plant all the same rose, close to gether to form a hedge look under covering the entire brick area. The area is about 11 ft 7 inches.
I would like the rose to be a red rose, with fragrance, that blooms repeat throughout the season. I'm really looking for a bushy looking plant similar to the form of a Julia Child for those familiar with the way that rose grows. in my research the only one that I think would do what I want is Chrysler Imperial but I've never seen this plant in person. I've read they shatter quickly though, but wonder if they rebloom just as quick? Could those of you that have it tell me if you think it would work. Any other suggestions, and lastly, how many plants would you recommend and how close can I plant them to get the hedge affect with them being able to have room to grow. 7b, South Carolina. Also would prefer some black spot resistence but will spray if I have to. Thank you, Marcia

This post was edited by mzstitch on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 16:51

Comments (7)

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Sounds like you want a floribunda with those requirements. None of the hybrid teas will give you that profuse look, or rapid rebloom either. Think this way -- the fewer the petals I demand, the more blooms I can have, quicker. So if you want a perfect rose, one, get the hybrid tea. If you want a color statement, get a florrie. Home Run would do nicely there, I think.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Here is what a hedge row of Home Runs would look like (mine is along the property line).

{{gwi:332471}}

Chrysler Imperial would not work at all as a hedge row--it is meant to stand in isolated splendor. Besides, it is not a quick re-bloomer.

Home Run is good at reblooming, is fragrant, and highly bs-resistant. In addition, even when it is not blooming (which isn't often), it sports a nice, healthy, rounded form. Doesn't get the ratty look many roses do between flowering cycles. Mine are about 5-6 years old (not quite that old in the picture however) and are about 3.5 ft tall. Home Run is prickly--but that should be no problem with where you want to locate it.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh, I meant to add that mine are planted about 3-4 ft apart (from one center to the next center) and at this point, form nearly a continuous hedge row. It's dark outside right now--I'll check tomorrow and verify that distance.

I suppose you could plant them a bit closer for an even more continuous look--maybe 2-2.5 ft apart? And about 2.5-3 ft away from the house also.

Personally, I like the very slight separation between mine--even while the continuous look is mostly maintained--but each to his/her own, right?

Kate

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy, all of my roses are either floribunda, shrub or china. I have never owned a hybrid tea so thank you for educating me! I really need to travel to a rose garden next year to continue my education. I had considered Home run but Helpmefind rated it as 3 ft. high. Thank you Kate for the pictures, since you mentioned yours have reached four feet I did some more googling and I am finding that true on other sites as well. Now I'm wondering, if you plant roses closer together will they grow taller kind of reaching for room? But I'm also wondering if you plant them too close together will they not do well because they don't have room to breathe? So yes, Kate if you could look when it's light out and tell me how far apart yours are I'll use that to guide me. Thank you both!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

mzstitich, I just measured my Home Runs--4 ft and a couple inches apart (center to center).

One of the bushes is a couple years older than the others--it is about 4.5 ft tall. The others are right at 4 ft or closely approaching 4 ft.

Having looked at them today in the daylight, I'd guess I'd never plant them closer together than 3 ft (center to center). Home Run is an exceptionally healthy bush, but crowding roses too closely together runs the risk of making them susceptible to blackspot and other leaf diseases--though HR would probably be much more resistant than most roses. But I wouldn't want to take a chance. I think the 3 ft centers would make them look quite continuous after they had 3-4 years growth on them.

But do plan on placing them 2.5-3 ft from the side of your house. That will look like too much space when you first put in the young roses, but in 3-4 years, they will easily fill up most of that space, and it won't hurt them to have a bit of breathing room back there anyway.

Don't know if I would recommend planting them closer together in order to make them grow taller--for some of the reasons given above. But maybe some other posters have different experiences as far as that goes.

Do let us see pics next spring.

Kate

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Why not take a look at the grandaflora, Twilight Zone. I know everyone that has this rose on the east side of the smokies loves it. Plant it on 3' centers then stand back and get ready for that "WOW!!!". I have several roses of the same variety planted on 2' centers for the one huge bush affect.

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate, I'll plan on 2 1/2 to 3, perhaps I'll ask when I pick them up at Roses Unlimited, they always give me great advice, and since I am in the same zone they can tell me how t will likely grow for me. I agree they won't be close to the house. I'm kind of excited about this idea now, I only have one other single petal rose and I've been wanting more. Thanks again

Thanks Ken, Twilight Zone is definitly a beauty. i really want to stay with red though since on my side yard I have a row of red azaleas going down the length of the driveway so I'm looking to stay with the same color in front too.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!