Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

ORG's

ladybugfruit
12 years ago

I don't come over to this forum very often ( not sure why, nice folks!) but I thought I would cross post from Texas Gardening as lots of great rose experts over here!

I should be out pulling weeds on this beautiful day, but alas, lazy has taken over and I am content to surf and daydream. I feel in love with roses when I lived at my last house. I had mutabilis, cecil brunner and several knockouts. Sadly, I had to leave them behind and as I plan ahead for next season, I am eyeballing the roses I would like to add to my new gardens. I am interested to see what ya'll think of my wish list and what your experiences are. My top 5 contenders right now are: mrs. dudley cross, martha gonzales, mrs. b.r. cant, francis dubreuil, and carefree beauty.

Also, 2 questions.

1) I am curious of anyone that has both mrs. dudley and monsieur tillier (? think I remembered that right) which do you like better? I think I like the mrs. dudley cross doesn't have alot of thorns, but I would love to know your experience

2)Are there any easy carefree lavender colored roses?

Ok, 3 questions, also what's a great climbing white rose? Would love scent, but not a requirement. I am trying to stick to OGR's.

Thanks! :)

LBF

PS I am in North Texas, z8

Comments (14)

• ladybugfruit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oops, typo, OGR's

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    12 years ago

I grew Mrs. Dudley Cross years ago when I lived in the Dallas area. I don't remember being able to detect much fragrance there, but it was a very healthy and floriferous rose and I liked it a lot. I seem to remember it having the pink edges most of the time. I noticed a comment on HMF that suggests pairing it with General Schablikine - that sounds like a lovely idea.

Last fall, I was trying to decide between purchasing Mrs. Dudley Cross or Marie Von Houtte. I went to the Antique Rose Emporium near Brenham, TX to compare them. I decided that Marie Van Houtte had more fragrance than Mrs. Dudley Cross, at least to my nose, so that is the one I purchased.

By the way, it is possible that more people who grow these roses would see this post on the Antique Rose Forum.

Kathy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Hi ladybug, I can't help you with most of your questions, but for a white climber, you can't beat Sombreuil--gorgeous!

You might find that you get more responses if you post this question on the Antique Roses Forum. But they may find you over here also.

Good luck in your search.

Kate

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    12 years ago

We also grew and loved the climbing rose Sombreuil (aka Colonial White) when we lived in Dallas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sombreuil climber on HMF

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

Francis Debreuil on it's own roots stays a small bush. On fortunia rootstock it gets much bigger with long stems and larger flowers.

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

Of the 5 you mention, I have Mrs. Dudley Cross, Martha Gonzales and M. Tillier.
    MG - A bloom machine, very thorny, non-fragrant, healthy. I like it, but don't love it.
    MT - Big, healthy tea with beautiful blooms. The blooms, however, are quite small, although the bloom color (colors actually) are really beautiful.
    MDC - Also very healthy, thornless, bearing large, beautiful blooms, . I really like this rose.
    Sombreuil is a beautiful white climber that is totally healthy in my garden. The blooms are very fragrant and this rose is a generous bloomer. One rose not mentioned, but one of my favorites is Nur Mahal, a hybrid musk. It is a thornless, fragrant, repeat bloomer that is completely healthy year-round and has NO thrip or balling problems.
    http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/roses/1123/nur-mahal
    Molly

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Ken, have you tried Francis Dubreuil (Barcelona) in your present location? For me it wants to be 6-7' tall, maybe not in the Texas heat. However, it needs spraying here, if that is a consideration for the OP.

• cecily
    12 years ago

I've grown Mons Tillier, Mrs Dudley Cross and Marie Van Houtte. MT and MVH are in my present garden, MDC remained in North Carolina when we relocated. All three are large bushes. MDC is an elegant plant with an airy, open shape. MT and MVH are bushier and bloom more. The foliage of MDC is prettier - the new growth is plum colored. All three grow/grew well for me no spray in both NC and northern VA but I only brought two along for space reasons. (I think MVH blooms more than MDC so I kept her). MT is the bush that stops traffic (literally) because it is so large and bloomiferous.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Mrs. Dudley Cross has larger blooms than Monsieiur Tillier and in my garden MT's petals crisped badly.

Mr. Bluebird from Rogue Valley Roses and Sweet Chariot are lavender/purple roses that do quite well. Lavender Simplicity also does well with ample watering and alfalfa fertiizer.

Belinda's Dream and Mrs. B.R. Cant are must-have roses in a hot climate. Ditto Wm. R. Smith with its gorgeous, huge and pale pink many-petaled flowers.

Ingrid

• nastarana
    12 years ago

For a white climber in zone 8 or 9 you cannot do better than the white noisette roses Madame Alfred Carrier or Lamarque. For a tough situation two found noisettes are good, Pleasant Hill Cemetary or Manchester Guardian Angel.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

William R. Smith and Souv. de Pierre Notting were the two healthiest Tea roses both coastal and inland valley where the real heat is, for me. Lamarque is an amazing white climber. Vigorous, fragrant, healthy and cooperative to what I want from it. I particularly enjoy it as it is propagated from a local, historic plant which is known to have grown there for about a century.

You might take a look at Lauren for a purple rose. I raised it from seed collected from Baby Faurax and have had very good reports about it from across the country and Europe. Burlington carries it. Kim

• ladybugfruit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW! Thanks for some wonderful feedback!! Ya'll are really helping me narrow down my choices. I have a limited budget, so every purchase counts!!
    I will be reading up on the suggestions mentioned here. I am very excited as my BF just agreed to take a road trip with me to the ARE later this month to check out the gardens and make my investments! :) Hooray!
    Thanks so very much!!!
    LBF

OH, and I will definitely check out the ARF..thanks for the suggestion!

• teka2rjleffel
    12 years ago

For a small carefree lavender rose I'd recommend the china rose 'pink posey.' It is so pretty with it's sprays of roses like a polyantha or a hybrid musk. It can take a bit of shade too.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

If you are interested in a rose that has a lovely lilac color, wonderful fragrance, and is always blooming (admittedly not freely in real hot temps, but it has never been without at least a bloom or two in my hot summer weather) I recommend Lilac Dawn. I got it as a band from Vintage spring 2010. It is only about 2X2 now, but I would never want to be without it:

{{gwi:335817}}

It had to be sprayed for black spot originally (if you wanted leaves) although while it will still get a little black spot, it has outgrown that flaw of leaflessness.
    kay

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner