Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstrong

SoCal Rare Rose Auction Nov 16-17 2013

kstrong
10 years ago

Hello fellow rose lovers --
It's that time of year again, and once again I have a favor to ask of each of you, and that is whether you could each help us spread the word about California Coastal Rose Society's upcoming Rare Rose Auction, our 13th annual event, and our major fund raiser for the year, which we will hold in Carlsbad (just north of San Diego) on Sunday, November 16th and 17th this year. Yes, you heard right : this year we are making it a two day event, in an effort to attract people who have to come from farther away and to let them know the trip will be worth their effort.

We are going to be at the Carlsbad By the Sea Resort -- a hotel that is next to LegoLand -- and we have arranged for special room rates (code is CCRS AUCTION, when booking). The first day will be seminars and talks about the roses -- by hybridizers and other experts between 1 p.m. Saturday and into the evening, with a break for dinner. Speakers include Jeri Jennings, Burling Leong, Ping Lim, Robert Martin, Cheryl Malone (from Heirloom Roses in Portland OR) and Keith Zary. The second day -- Sunday -- is the actual auction. The schedule for the speakers is on the website, here.

As before, there will also be internet bidding through our society members, who will act as proxies for long distance bidders at our live event. Internet bidding details are here.

Could you please talk up this event whenever you come across rosie people that might like a weekend in SoCal, and please direct people to our website, which is www.ccrsauction.com/. As usual (for those of you that have ever been to one of our auctions), we will have roses that can be purchased no where else on the face of the earth. This year we again have a crazy and unique collection of roses.

Some of the highlights of the roses available this year are these:
Simsalabim -- a sport of Abracadabra, with reverse striping (maroon on yellow instead of yellow on maroon).
Frankie -- a grafted plant on Fortuniana rootstock.
Dina Gee -- grafted on Fortuniana rootstock.
Pacific Celebration --grafted on Fortuniana.
Lavender Spoon -- grafted on Pink Clouds.
Most Unusual Day -- you're never going to see this for sale anywhere else -- a truly unique Ralph Moore creation. We can't strike it to save our lives, but we got a grafted plant on multiflora rootstock to sell.
Eyes For You -- a particularly pretty hulthemia that has not been released in the U.S.
Dahlia Rose -- a favorite of mine, but tough to grow and to strike -- needs TLC.
Graceland -- a ruffly yellow very floriforous hybrid tea that you will likely never see again, as none of us can get it to strike. This year we got a grafted plant on multiflora rootstock to sell.
Peggy T -- grafted on Pink Clouds -- which is one of the winningest singles in the mini field. When entered, it wins.
Super Green -- the greenest of the green-petaled roses.
Rosa Minutifolia -- a rare desert rose that goes dormant in the summer, or whenever you stop watering it.
Golden Zest -- who can resist a smelly yellow? Tends to win consistently in the fragrance classes.
Takao -- this is one of the prettiest orange and yellow roses out there, and if you spray (and spray you must as it does also like its mildew), then you will grow to love this one.
Dona Martin -- the mauvish pink sport of Randy Scott.
Tiger Tail -- orange and white striped rose
Stranger -- A mauve and white stripe from the florist trade that is otherwise not on the market.
Willie Winkie -- micro-mini that makes very cute sprays
Oui -- hard-to-get micro-mini in high demand
Here are the links to the full rose lists that will be available, and yes, we will also be doing internet bidding again this year. But be forewarned that it is much better to show up yourselves than to do it via the internet, because there is always some great rose that does not attract anyone else's attention and can be stolen quite cheap. You just have to do your research through the lists before you get there so that you recognize it when it happens.
Live Auction Rose List
Silent Auction Rose List

Anyway, it should be a great event this year, and we would like all of you to come, and to bring as many other rosie people as you can. Again, please help us get the word out. And come! The beach is great in November! The crowds are gone and you get it to yourself, almost.

Kathy Strong
KathyStrong@Gmail.com

This post was edited by kstrong on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 1:23

Comments (40)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would have donated several roses to the auction, if only someone had contacted me. I've offered before....

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul, we would gladly still accept whatever you have that you would like to donate. I can still add to this year's list. Contact me at the above email addy. I tried to email you privately, but I may have an old address for you.

Don't know who it was that said no before, but I think they must have been out of line.

I know you grow a lot of neat roses, and we'd be really happy to be able to offer one or more of them.

Thank you,

Kathy Strong

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

fyi, Dr. Jack Bender is a great rose! Very winter hardy and disease resistant HT. This rose has not been offered for sale since Moore's shut their doors. About 5 feet tall and 2.5 feet wide here in Michigan.

Kathy - Can you still bid for me?

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

After looking over that list I could go broke with all the plants I'd like to get. Really nice list of roses.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do, Mike.

And I have contacted Trospero, and he has agreed to donate some of the very newest of his newly registered varieties, so that is something else for you all to look forward to. Yahoo and THANK YOU!

More to come on that, or Trospero, if you are reading this, please give us all a rundown on what's included here.

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

Why can't I have a cheap vice like horse racing, craps, or poker?

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

What do the asterisks mean that are at the end of the line on some of the roses on both the Silent Auction and Live Auction lists?

Melissa

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good question Melissa -- I actually didn't know the answer to that one myself. I had to go chase down the info. But now I know. It means the rose is in a 5 gallon or bigger container, and that we would therefore prefer not to ship it.

Sometimes we try to say "non-shippable" as to some roses, but really, when push comes to shove, we ship anything if the highest bidder needs it to be shipped. But we then have to bare-root it, and sometime severely prune it also So bid away.

We only ship, however, in the U.S.

Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

quite a lot of stripey sorts.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey folks --

We now have three new introductions from Paul Barden to offer you in this years auction. Check these out:

Dakota Redwing
    Castle Bravo
    Dominic Sunset

Links to the HMF listings for these roses are on the Live Auction List. There are also many other new additions from the last time you looked at the auction lists, most probably -- these lists is always a work in progress, right up to a week before the auction date.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: CCRS Live Auction List

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who is coming???

Next weekend, folks . . .

• User
    10 years ago

"We now have three new introductions from Paul Barden to offer you in this years auction. Check these out:

Dakota Redwing
    Castle Bravo
    Dominic Sunset "

It may be of interest to know that all three of these new varieties is not yet available in commerce; these plants are pre-release donations. The buyer will be the first to grow these new roses :-)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

What a wonderful opportunity!

I was sent the Auction Bidding lists, there are many more roses on the list, I hope you all take a look.

(I had my form filled out....then the sons car broke down)

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kippy come join us. If you are in Zone 10 - Sunset 24, you can't be far away, can you? And the seminars the day before are completely FREE!

And thank you again to Trospero for the pre-release donations!

Kathy

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Kathy

I am in Santa Barbara, it is a long SLOW drive through LA to get there. Or an $80 round trip train ride (bet I would not have to share a row with a box full of roses in my lap)

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, then I guess there's always that internet bid list you started working on. Keep going.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Hey Kathy, I see QUICKSILVER on the silent auction list, but it's not on the bidding form. I would be interested in bidding on it.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would not be at all surprised if there were mistakes on the forms, as we keep adding things. But just to see I just took a look at that one. On the form I just downloaded, quicksilver is there.

If there's something that you want to bid on and the form is wrong -- just add it. We'll figure it out when we get the form, and if we can't we'll shoot you a note to ask.

Kathy

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quicksilver is a cool rose, btw, I grow it -- very vigorous for a cool lavender, unlike most in that color group. And it is also one that I think we have saved from extinction -- at the time we put it in our auction a few years back there was only one known plant anywhere (at the J&P facility in Somis) and now the J&P facility in Somis is long gone. J&P was using it in their effort to create a bluer rose.

Go for it, Beth. Your garden probably also has a few that would be the sole survivors of a variety. Let me know if you think any are "worthy" and you want to give us some bud wood to get a few more going to sell.

Saving worthy but undistributed roses from extinction is what we are all about. I can't tell you how many times we have gotten rare varieties going, only to find out the source of our plant had died from some stupid mistake by someone somewhere (usually a public garden) and then we were able to replace their plant with something we grew from it.

Thanks,
    Kathy

This post was edited by kstrong on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 9:45

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Thanks Kathy. I'll give it a try with bidding on QUICKSILVER. But now that we've talked about it here, it'll probably be on everybody's wish list!

I do have a lot of roses that are on the brink of extinction. I started sending some to Cliff a few yrs ago for him to propagate, but then he had to close up. One was JEAN DU TILLEUX, which a customer of his had asked for. He obviously was able to get it going, because Heirloom now has it. Yeah, I really should go thru my list and see what needs to get out there. If you would like to have some budwood, and can get them going, I'd be happy to send some cuttings out. I might also try the burrito method of starting them myself too. I've been experimenting with doing the florist roses that way, and it seems to work so far. I just have to get the potting-up part perfected. Need to get grow lights I think.

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

Quicksilver has been a good rose for me also. Even comes through winters fine. Yep, everybody bid on this rose and leave the roses I want alone!

• nsdjohn
    10 years ago

The spirit of what Kathy says about Quicksilver is pretty much correct. However, the last plant that we knew of was at Weeks not J&P. Tom Carruth had saved it for breeding because of it's great genetics: Jack Christensen had crossed Blue Nile x Brandy. When I found out that Tom had this rose, he generously offered to bud up 10 plants. The plant in the auction is from one of these original 10. Truly a rose worth saving (apologies to Beth if this encourages more bidding).

Here is a link that might be useful: Quicksilver photos

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, NSD John -- then there were in fact two of them, J & P did have one when I was there a few years back, and they were, I think, using it in the "blue rose" quest.

• nsdjohn
    10 years ago

I believe that the rose they were using was Lavande. Debbie Zary gave me a cutting, which I rooted.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LaVande is the one they ended up injecting with something that was essentially defeated by pH problems, but they also had that Quicksilver sitting there, and I think they were trying to do more conventional breeding things with it. Ask Keith -- tomorrow -- how convenient.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Well, that's a bummer. I forgot about this and missed entering a bid! LOL Oh well. Maybe next yr!

Ya know, LAVANDE is a wonderful rose too. It blows pretty fast, but it's still a beautiful bloom even so.

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

Do we have any auction results?

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep We had over a hundred internet bids. Thank you to all of you who sent us bids. That was our best internet showing EVER! And, Elvis showed up to auction off Graceland.

I don't have all the details yet, but I know Simsalabim went as a bargain this year, compared with years passed. That one was around $75, if I recall correctly. Highest price roses were Anvil Sparks and Blue Bell (see, ya just never know!), both of which were in the silent auction.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Aw man, I was going to bid on GRACELAND too. And BLUE BELL. Well, next yr I'll have to watch the deadline date better. LOL Geez, I got ANVIL SPARKS from Berling. Was that one blooming and looking really good or something? I mean it's not as hard to get as the others.

Did you guys sell everything?

• marhelm
    10 years ago

I won 7 out of 13. The next year, I will put the stakes are higher.

• User
    10 years ago

Simsalabim!!!!

I would have to be paid huge amounts of money to grow that horror....and even then, it would be hidden behind the garbage bins.
    Are stripey roses going through some sort of revival in the US? There are usually a few about in the UK but nothing like the ones across the Atlantic?

There really is no accounting for taste, hey?

• User
    10 years ago

Simsalabim!!!!

I would have to be paid huge amounts of money to grow that horror....and even then, it would be hidden behind the garbage bins.
    Are stripey roses going through some sort of revival in the US? There are usually a few about in the UK but nothing like the ones across the Atlantic?

There really is no accounting for taste, hey?

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

I won all the ones I really wanted. Got Polo Club, Rainforest, Fascination, Magic Moon and San Diego. All except Polo Club were at bargain prices! Thanks Kathy!!!

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Campanula, there are a LOT of people here who love the stripey roses! Those are my favorites, second only to the oddball colored ones. Thank goodness we all have different tastes!

Hey Mike, I thought you already got POLO CLUB? Hope you have better luck with yours. Mine is barely alive. Maybe I should dig it out and pot it up. It hasn't grown or done anything for yrs! My soil is horrible volcanic clay. Or maybe if I dumped a bunch of manure and mulch on it it might help. You'll love it tho. The few blooms I got off it a few yrs ago were spectacular!

• nsdjohn
    10 years ago

Beth, out of almost 300 roses, every last one was sold. There were even 2 mystery roses from Rogue Valley that sold. Kathy bought one for about $3 and thinks it may be Bud Myers. I'm really glad that Mike got San Diego. It needs to be saved! BTW the Polo Club that we grew was very strong and surprised me by the large bloom that it put out. It really is amazing.

• User
    10 years ago

Beth, I noticed an outbreak of similarly coloured petunias appearing all over the UK (gold and maroon) which caused me to literally avert my eyes on walking past.
    As a rule, I am a lover of bright colours (no beige in my house or wardrobe) but am strictly old school when it comes to roses - white or pink (or palest yellow at a pinch).
    Course, that does not apply to the dahlia beds, nor the many rows of cutting gladioli or luridly coloured annuals (apart from said petunias) in my allotment. Particularly enjoying a combo of orange, purple, deep red and acid green.......just not in the roses.
    And yeah, striped roses, not even pink and white, really do it for me but I was agog at the variety available in the US.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hah -- This was the striped rose that got the most attention. The plant we had for sale was not blooming, so I took in a bloom off of my mother plant and just stuck it in a jar next to the plant. The bloom happened to be enormous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anvil Sparks at HMF

• User
    10 years ago

'Anvil Sparks' is one of the weakest, death-prone underperformers I have ever tried (four times) to grow. I even custom budded it to help push growth (it worked to a degree) but none of the plants ever lived more than three seasons. Everyone wants it, but its the worst to propagate and extremely difficult to raise to adulthood. Good luck to those who try!

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

It's funny. I've gone thru about 5 plants of ANVIL SPARKS over the yrs. The first one was the best and I had it when we lived down the hill where it was warmer. The subsequent ones all either just died, or sat there at about 2" and never grew and then died. I got two new ones from Burling this spring, and they're both bigger than any of the previous plants. I'm hoping one of them will be ok and grow and produce some nice big fat blooms just like that one that Kathy showed! That's beautiful!!

• kstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've sent Burling many cuttings of many roses over the years (and I gave her a new batch on Sunday when she came down to speak at our auction extravaganza). Don't know if she is propagating from my plant or not, but if she is, then you got a good one. My Anvil Sparks and I get along great for some reason and always have, although I have heard that others have had their problems.

The rose that I've lost and would really LOVE to find again was Sue Lawley. Anyone grow it?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!