Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Falling in Love and Chris Everet HT roses

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

The two roses mentioned in the title are a couple of Carruth roses I am wondering about. Pat from Alabama mentioned both of these on an earlier thread I started about Carruth roses, but I hadn't paid much attention to either until I started looking at pictures on HMF, they are both gorgeous. I would love to know more about them.

Comments (11)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I only have Falling in Love and I'm not all that thrilled with it. It's not very vigorous, stingy blooming and spots a lot. On top of all that it is the thorniest rose on earth!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Falling in Love is also VERY winter tender. I lost it in it's first winter. Chris Everet is supposed to be a good rose for the mid-west.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Don't have either, but I sure like drooling over everyone else's pictures!

• xyzDaylilyDaddy
    9 years ago

I may start collecting roses based on their names. I almost bought Julia Child just because, and I already have JFK. I didn't know Chris ( Evert btw) had a rose named after her. Is there a Martina Navratilova rose? No? There should be!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Falling in Love has a beautiful bloom. It seems to recycle slow and not a lot of blooms. I remember unpacking my bareroot from Edmunds' and saying that I wouldn't have ordered it if I had known it was so thorny!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not crazy about overly thorny roses, so maybe I'll pass on Falling In Love. Let Freedom Ring is about as thorny as I can deal with. I'll just try to enjoy the lovely pictures!

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Sara Ann,
    Falling in Love is a good bloomer here...huge flushes and fairly quick repeat. Big, beautiful and nicely fragrant blooms that are one of my longest lasting cut flowers. Average disease resistance for an HT here...will blackspot, but not my worst offender by any means. I spray my moderns as needed, and it does need some spraying here. As others have mentioned, it is VERY thorny...covered in big, ugly, vicious thorns...you must wear gloves even to cut a few stems to bring in (and I cut the thorns off the stems before I put them in a vase). It's also not the prettiest of bushes. Mine has kind of an awkward growth habit....wide, lanky and gets bare knees by midseason that show off those ugly thorny canes. As a well-established bush on Dr. Huey, mine didnâÂÂt have much dieback at all from our polar vortex winter. If you are looking for a good bloom for fragrance, beauty and vase life, I would recommend FiL. If you are looking for a pretty rose bush thatâÂÂs not painful to get near, I wouldn't choose her.
    Here, Chris Evert has above average disease resistance and beautiful dark, blue green foliage. Big blooms of the prettiest melon orange tinged with red. Reddens more as it ages, so the overall effect of the bush can be a bit bright at timesâ¦but usually not obnoxiously so. Medium to mild fragrance and good vase life. Not my most prolific bloomer nor my fastest rebloom, but decent on both. Also, unlike most roses in my climate, she stays a reasonable size...about 4 ft by 2 to 3 ft by end of season for me. IâÂÂm not sure how cold hardy she isâ¦she suffered more from the polar vortex than most of my others.

FiL

{{gwi:336217}}

I couldnâÂÂt find many bush shotsâ¦This is from August and doesnâÂÂt look as awkward as it does in person.

{{gwi:336218}}

CE

{{gwi:336219}}

This is the only full bush shot I could find, and sheâÂÂs looking kind of sparse on canes and foliage. ItâÂÂs from this spring when she hadnâÂÂt fully recovered from the hard winter.

{{gwi:336220}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat - You make it so tempting! I think you grow some of the best roses I've seen anywhere! Both of them are so pretty! If I thought my Falling In Love would look anything like yours I'd grow it in a heartbeat! I do feel like all of my Carruth roses do better than average, so I am going to seriously consider these two.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Thanks Sara Ann! Roses do love my heat & humidity as far as bloom quantity and frequency, but I pay for it with an abundance of blackspot and bugs.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Pat, your roses are so gorgeous and so many blooms! My Falling in Love has never been that pretty and your Chris Everett is an eye catcher, too.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz