Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

Apology

sandandsun
11 years ago

I want to apologize.

I've seen the error of what I have written.

I just hope that the aphids of the world will accept my apology. I've called them sap suckers and compared them to fleas and ticks. They're just innocent little creatures that deserve to be fed, so I will work toward changing so that I can grow my roses for the aphids in the future. As far as I can tell the roses are their only food source in my garden. I have been horrible. I have killed them with insecticidal soap and surely if I had not done so, then they could have raised families and well, I am very ashamed. It was wrong to think of them as parasites or to consider the aftermath of their attacks as a problem. Maybe the roses evolved to feed the aphids. Why hadn't I ever considered that? I am such a truly horrible person as compared with the noble aphid. I see that now. Oh my god, they can't read this can they?

Well, maybe we can establish an aphid appreciation society. Does any garden club have a presentation on the benefits of aphids and how to encourage the sweet little things? I will search for an aphid charity in order to make a donation in hopes of making amends beyond my local reach. Maybe there's a Defend the Aphids club I could join. Or a step program for misaphidists. In the meantime, I beg everyone who read my mean and awful remarks about the aphids to ignore them. And remember, the aphids will not hurt your roses - especially any roses you wish to enter for competition. So please, be kind to aphids. If we all work together, we can increase their numbers and maybe all gardens can be happy aphid sanctuaries.

Will you help? We could explain to our garden centers that the rose section should be renamed Aphid Food and that if they do this they'll sell more roses - just like bird food. And we could also explain that we refuse to buy a rose unless it already has aphids on it. Maybe hybridizers could work on breeding roses that keep their stems tender so the aphids could feed continuously. We can make a difference if we work together. Save the aphid!

Comments (40)

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Wrong error.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

???????

Jeri

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Lyn - I didn't think your buttons could be pushed!

Probably time to just ignore now. Lyn, I know from speaking with you before you are way too sweet a person to deal with this.

Jeri - you don't want to know!

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Thanks, Harmonyp. If you don't quit the Forum because of SAS ... you are one of the "good guys" ..., I'll follow your advice to put SAS on Ignore.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• User
    11 years ago

Clearly this is an exercise in sarcasm....I thought that was pretty obvious.

• landlady
    11 years ago

Jeri might not want to know, but....I do!

Of course it is sarcasm, but....what started it?

Rubberneckers want to know....

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

landlady - being curious, I did look up the original poster and the subject "aphids". There was a thread started in Apirl '12 which seemed to end in May'12 about this subject. No idea what happened in the meantime to start it up again after 5 months had passed, but I would not recommend looking it up - the original poster was very rude to most people who posted on it, attacking anyone who had different ideas on the subject - even attacking people's right to post anything!

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Check out the "horticultural oil" it is the current thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Oil

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Well, isn't that something.

I think we must have entered into the Silly Season. :-)

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Peace to all. Let us remember the reason we are all here, which is the beauty of the rose.

{{gwi:336237}}

• landlady
    11 years ago

AHA.....I knew it had to be juicy.
    That SAS person is pretty rude.

I suggest that you all stop reading and responding to his/her posts. It will keep your blood pressure where it belongs.

:-))))

Thank you Hoovb for your sentiment, and I apologize to you for not taking your advice and not posting this message.....

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I'm with HoovB -- Think about roses.

This is the grave of Jose A. Africa -- so the rose is study-named "Jose A. Africa."

I'm afraid Jose's rose has been killed by MownBlow gardeners, but it was collected, so it lives still.

Jeri
    (Staying In, Out Of The Wind)

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Hoovb - is that Belinda's Dream? I HOPE so!!! After reading so many pro's about her from this forum, I purchased her a few months ago (would have never known about her if not for this forum). I planted her over our recently, dear deceased kitty - Ezekiel. I wanted something really beautiful over him. She just put out her first 2 blooms, surrounded by approx 15 buds. I am SO excited to have her.

Regardless - both photos posted here are breathtaking.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Hoovb, I'm willing to trade my Belinda's Dream for your Belinda's Dream........

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Pretty roses hoovb and Jeri! I have Belinda's Dream too and it doesn't look as good as yours, but it's very nice by Florida standards. I wish people would take out a few of the millions of Knockouts I see around here and consider Belinda's Dream.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Please please let hoovb's photo be of Belinda's dream, I picked one up today!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Yes that is 'Belinda's Dream', the October flush. As great a performer nearly year-round as in spring. I try to deadhead off at least 18" of stem after each round of bloom for best looks. This is a 12 year old plant that takes size reduction no problem. Belinda is one lucky person to have that rose named for her.

{{gwi:336238}}
    And to continue in a spirit of peace and reconciliation, may I also add, 'Easy Does It'.

{{gwi:336239}}

Let the beauty of roses overcome all misunderstanding and hurt.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lovely, hoov, thanks!

I very nearly replied to this before anyone else had not knowing anything about the underlying cause. I'm so glad I decided to stay out of the fray.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Anything that inspires the opportunity to see lovely roses is no bad thing. It's taking lemons, and making really good lemonade.

Hoov, your Easy Does it is particularly beautiful.

Jeri

• ms. violet grey
    11 years ago

My Belinda's Dream has 10+ buds ready to bloom!
    I just love the scent. It has been described as raspberries.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Belinda's Dream

Here is a link that might be useful: Belinda's Dream

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Thanks for that link s&s, I did not know Dr. Basye was a math professor! And yes, BD is indeed a "tremendous achievement" in rose breeding. Dr. Basye must have been proud!

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

So Hoovb - any secret(s) you'd like to share on any fertilizer or special mulches, or ? that you do to get your BD to look like that?! Also, my young BD's 2 first blooms have no fragrance. Hoping that will change as she matures, but her blooms are so beautiful it wouldn't be upsetting if they didn't.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

She took time (5-6 yrs) to mature into that. Time and water was what it took. It was not at all a good rose the first 2 or 3 years.

Surprisingly the own-root BD I picked off the Lowe's "death rack" this past winter is doing great, looks like it will be as good as the other one sooner rather than later. No special fertilizer, hardly any at all as a matter of fact.

In this garden, young rose plants often have flowers with no fragrance. Plant is not yet strong enough to deliver on the fragrance, probably.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What vision and foresight did one of our most innovative modern rose hybridizers have? Which hybridizer? What were the results?

• saldut
    11 years ago

BD is a great rose, I have several...however, here in Fla., she is one of the first to fall victim to Chili-Thrips, along w.Knock Outs, and then Don Juans....the Chili- thrips have not killed my BDs but have really stripped her, she stops blooming and just sits there so pathetic looking, the Dons defoliate also... the KOs are all scrunched up and no blooms either.... I am going to have to rethink my no-spray position on this if I want to keep these precious beauties.....sally

• lucillle
    11 years ago

"I am such a truly horrible person as compared with the noble aphid. I see that now. Oh my god, they can't read this can they? "

I'm not really in on this inside joke. I kind of feel like I do when there are a group of people in the room and they start talking a foreign language of which I am not acquainted.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Lucille - just know this. This was a thread that started out very negatively as a response to other conversations, but that ended up going exactly where it should have - back to positive focus on roses. Be happy that you're on the outside of the original conversation, and that everything is back as it should be.

• lainey2 VA
    11 years ago

Have we totally lost our sense of humor? Doesn't anyone appreciate a bit of well written satire? I thought the little essay on aphids was clever, harmless, and original. Why would anyone be offended?

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Lainey, did you read what lead up to this thread? That was not so humorous.

• lainey2 VA
    11 years ago

I just read the Horticultural Oil post. To me, this tempest in a tea pot is amusing: two or three very intelligent posters with quick wits engaging in a sparing contest. We need to lighten up and laugh at ourselves. Life is too short to be easily offended.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Join facebook :)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Time to look at roses, again.

This is 'Kathrynerl.' Isn't she the cat's pajamas?

Jeri

• rosesinny
    11 years ago

Wow. I should check in here more often instead of every few months. Initially I thought the OP was an attempt at satire, but after reading the horticultural oil thread who knows? I kinda hope it isn't supposed to be satirical just because, well, that would be hilarious.

But as always, I did get some nice info, this time on Belinda's Dream. Great pic Hoov! I've been thinking about that one because I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose my favorite noisette this winter.

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Jeri...

That is simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Thanks Lyn -- It's so lovely, and so very rare, I like people to see it.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

A beautiful rose. The yellow stamens are really ornamental and light up the flower.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Touche lainey2.

I'm glad you appreciate satire - and mine at that. Thank you! It is probably the funniest piece I've ever written.

And well, I am very ashamed ... of that, too.

But I do prefer fragrant teas in my teapot. I think I'd even stoop to Lipton before buying that Tempest brand.

• lucillle
    11 years ago

Jeri, I tried to look up the particulars on your magnificent rose, could not find anything. A stunning bloom, thank you for sharing.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Lucille, it's not in commerce -- so it's been very much a "passalong." But it is said to be susceptible to blackspot, so I think it's not a good candidate for your part of the country.

Jeri