Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Heaven on Earth?

carla17
16 years ago

I would like to hear about this rose, especially disease resistance.

Thank you,

Carla

Comments (27)

• steelrose
    16 years ago

This rose with its disease resistance, floriferousness and beauty ranks on my short "would not be without" list.

Colleen

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Celeste, those pictures sure make a strong case for HOE. HOE, lol.
    Colleen, thank you. I think I may get one.

Carla

• the_dark_lady
    16 years ago

Carla, I have three Heaven on Earth (I might like it quite a bit!) and my experience is very similar to Celeste's.
    I am in a warmer zone, but my bushes are also about 3 1/2 x 3 1/2. Without spraying - clean as a whistle.
    {{gwi:336487}}

{{gwi:336488}}

{{gwi:336489}}

{{gwi:336490}}

{{gwi:336491}}

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Carla..I love my HOE and it has a great fragrance...many conversations on here about some people that have it and have no fragrance whatsoever..hope you get one that does..I just love mine...I am a NO SPRAY garden and I have had a bit of blackspot on mine but nothing detrimental to the bush...the blooms in Spring and Fall are much darker than those in the heat of summer...I can't imagine NOT having this rose...Jeanne

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Oh would you guys QUIT IT! I don't want to order any more roses!! I'm still debating what to order from J&P, and this one is always sort of lurking in the back of my mind.... that I "need" it too. I keep saying "NO!" But now you put up these gorgeous pics and I just don't know how I am going to be able to resist!!! Thanks a lot Celeste and Marina!! LOL

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

I hear you Beth! I've been debating 3 Kordes pink floribundas: Heaven on Earth, Cinderella, and Home & Garden. They all seem similar to me, old fashioned bloom form and color. Anyone have experience on these other two? Is Heaven on Earth the superior variety among these three?

Thanks

Eric

• geo_7a
    16 years ago

helpmefind says this rose (introduced in 2004) is susceptible to black spot.

Perhaps this is to be considered for those of us on the east coast? Is it too early to tell if this is correct?

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Carla, I have it here in North Florida and it is NOT a black spot magnet. It always has blooms on it, even when it was over 100 degrees this past summer. Mine is about 4 X 4....is just a joy to have in my rose bed.

This is one of my favorite roses, get it...let it be a garden HOE for you. LOL

Deb

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

Okay, couldn't wait, just bought it. :) Celeste's pictures always do me in. Hmmm, now to decide what perennial will get the boot in the spring. Another rose thanks to GW!

Eric

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marina, thank you for the photos. Good to hear from you!
    Beth, come on and order one. Get this, there is only one nursery that I want HOE from and have orders in other vendors!
    HOE seems like the rose you could have 3 of.

Carla

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

I live in the east coast ( about 20 min from the beach) and no bs here either. I never spray it either! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

What a perfect rose for my son's wedding! Do any good venders have it own root? Does anyone besides J and P sell it?

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

WOW--this rose sure sounds like a winner------I WANT IT !!!

I also want some more sun in my yard-------How does this rose do in a rather shady garden- ?

These pictures are amazing.

Florence

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Garden Valley Ranch has Heaven on Earth.

Carla

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Now I am confused. Is this rose pink, apricot or strong orange colored?

• the_dark_lady
    16 years ago

Ceterum, the answer to your question is 'YES' :))
    Seriously, this rose changes the color of the blooms depending on the weather. In the heat of summer the blooms are more pink, and they are apricot and even orange when the weather cools down.
    Marina

• celeste/NH
    16 years ago

As Marina said....
    this rose is a chameleon, that is why when I posted the photos I showed differing "looks" she takes on depending upon the time of year. Mine begins its first flush with pinkish-salmon to melon (think canteloupe), then fades to lightest apricot blush in the heat of midsummer. The shot where the color is deep orange shows the color in Fall. Cold temps bring out the orange, whereas hot temps it will be more salmon-pink. The fun of this rose is that it takes on so many different looks. And the age of the bloom also determines color...it is more strongly colored at first opening and fading to the palest shade imaginable at the end. A bush of it in full bloom is quite beautiful because of all the varying shades at one time.

That's why I call it "she"....it has many moods...lol
    \ Celeste

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I wish I could avoid the orange... I love apricot though. Well, I already ordered too many roses anyway.

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SOLD, I'm ordering three probably. Oh, here I go again. I can't blame you people who posted the beautiful pictures, can I?

Thank you for your help, uh enabling

Carla

• roses_more_roses
    16 years ago

I LOVE this rose too! I purchased 3, and even with limited space Im not sorry. I haven't seen any BS. I know that helpmefind said the same thing about OLG and that isn't a BS problem in my climate either. I haven't seen the orange color, but more of the pink-salmon. My fall isn't that cold and maybe that is why I haven't seen anything close to orange. When I first planted the roses the stems were a little floppy, but that changed with time.
    Diana

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

Enablers! One and all, enablers. All those pictures are gorgeous!

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

I'm wondering what root stock is used for the grafted versions of HOE. Anybody know? My usual sources Pickering and Hortico don't offer it. J&P I think use Dr.Huey, not good for here.

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Jim, I found HOE on Hortico listed as "new" but with no availability date. I'd monitor their site as it's apparently in production. I'm surprised there are so few sources for this rose; I've gotten a few bare-roots from J&P in the past and they were very slow to establish compared to other sources. FWIW I just checked the new Edmunds catalog & they don't have it. Good luck!

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Jackson and Perkins carries it..I bought mine at Lowe's....Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaven on Earth

• roses_more_roses
    16 years ago

Regan Nursery in California has it too. I haven't purchased from them yet, but they have some hard to find roses, and a Hugh selection.
    Diana

• stone_garden
    16 years ago

I fell in love with this rose from postings on this forum and this and Tamora are my 2008 must-haves(:

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County