Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wooly Hackberry Aphids thanks Ann

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 20:18

Thanks to Ann, the link worked and this is what I have.
1st the leaves from the trees that were dripping the aphids.

This is what happened to my rose leaves

Here are the rescuers very hard at work:

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wooly Hackberry Aphids thanks Ann

Sammy

It looks like you will soon have lots of little ladybugs to eat all those aphids :))

o

L 0 L !!! Too funny! Good Pictures.

Apart from the amorous ladybugs. I hate, hate, hate those aphids. Had many a nightmare sessions with them, but that is usually when I bring things in from outside in the fall, or geraniums etc in the greenhouse. They multify in no time and that sticky residue is gross! Insectifide soap is like champagne to them - they love it.
Grrrrrrrrrr!
Pauline - VI

o

Sammy,
So glad you now know what the problem is.
One site recommended (to clean up a large hackberry) to use a systemic insecticide to fill the thirty foot tall tree with -cides. It would have taken gallons. And it would have taken months to translocate from the roots out to the leaves.
But we're 'lucky' that the fall Lady Beetles were imported to control a pecan pest (and the Fall Lady Beetles weren't supposed to spread past the pecan belt), but they did and now they are fat, smart and happy beetles doing good things.

These are different aphids in one way. They fly, or rather, they glide through the air. And they look totally wierd.
If you know cottonwood trees, you know when the 'cotton' is in the air, it's sort of everywhere. These aphids have little bits of whiteness on their backs, and it lets them float around. When they are backlighted by the sun, they look like small, clumpy snow flakes. (But not in a charming way.)

o

I also hate cottonwood trees. Those aphids are still flying around, but at least I know what they are. Frankly I don't like the fall anyway.

sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here