Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drop dead red?

Posted by sc_gardener zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 20:57

Looking for a red floribunda. Anyone have drop dead red? I see it at Regans and several other vendors. It says it is a weeks rose.

Or any other red floribundas you can recommend? I love europeana but it was the black-spottiest rose ever for me years ago I got rid of it. I have Valentine already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drop dead red?

Where in SC is there a zone 5?

o

An older red floribunda that I have grown in every garden I've ever had is Eutin. It has some hybrid musk somewhere in its background, as can be seen in the large showy clusters of smaller blooms it produces. Good disease resistance. The red does not turn purplish with age, but stays red. It's a good, reliable rose.

Kate

o

sc is the abbreviation for the town I live in, in IL. Thanks for the eutin tip. I have heard others say they like this as well.

o

Another good medium red not many people have grown is Stadt den Helder.

o

As Phil said, Stadt den Helder is a great red floribunda. Coming out of northern Europe I would say it can handle cold temps with little trouble. Being one of the parents of Lady of the Dawn I just had to have it in my garden. I'm glad I got it.

o

Trumpeter. When I worked at Armstrong years ago, this rose outsold all others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpeter - Orangish Red

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 16:36

I have Frankly Scarlet and I had high hopes for it. It bloomed great the first season but has grown steadily backwards since then so it is one I would NOT recommend. Another I'd say to stay away from is Black Cherry. After 5 years it's still so puny and is such a stingy bloomer I think it's destined for the shovel next spring. I got Crimson Bouquet this spring and it has been in bloom all season but I have no idea how it will winter yet.

o

I can mention a couple worth having. I have had fairly good luck with Black Cherry here, so it might be finicky as to where it wants to grow. However, the two I would say are quite good for me are Lavaglut/Lavaglow and Lili Marlene. These two are real workhorses and have plenty of flowers most of the time. That said, I do have to spray my garden regularly here.

o

I and Dublin Bay have been touting Eutin off and on for a long time. To little avail as I don't see any big trend toward planting it. It is my perfect Floribunda. I keep saying I need a bed of it instead of just one. Oh and it has been around a long time. Intro in 1940!

It is super healthy, hardy and and flowers all the time. Perfect red. Even gets few if any JB's.

An even better red is the shrub Robusta. It too is in flower all the time. A bit prone to BS but that doesn't affect its' performance

o

I have been growing Drop Dead Red since early spring and I have to say I'm not really all that impressed with it, as it is a little scant on flowers. The color is nice and bright, but there should be more of it.

I'd go with a different rose. Lavaglut, Lili Marleen, Salsa, Showbiz, Topsy Turvy and Preference are all red florrie faves of mine and all of them bloom more consistently.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 15:33

'Eutin' is nice because you cut one stem, add a bit of greenery, and you have an instant bouquet--one cluster might have 4-8 dozen flowers on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here