Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

How dumb am I??

andreark
10 years ago

Let me rephrase that, how ignorant am I?

In my rather long life, I have done many things that required a very steep learning curve. I don't think that I have run into anything with a LONGER learning curve than roses.

I have read a number of times on this forum that Chamblees is a reputable and fine place to purchace roses. So I did. I bought 5 potted, own root Austins for a very reasonable price. I just received them.

They are very healthy looking. I just didn't realize that they would be so tiny!!! I don't know what else I should have expected. As I said, I am sometimes very ignorant..

They are lovely looking, but they are in 1 gallon pots an very tiny. I have never bought anything in less than a 5 gallon pot.

Does anyone out there know how long it would to take for a plant of this size to come to fruition?

I don't have years to wait. If it will take too long, I can probably give them to someone who has the time.

Thanks,

andrea

Comments (28)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Perhaps a photo of the plants and the names will help your cause.

But I would guess, an extra year or less. Noting that one of my biggest Austins is only a year old.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Own roots usually take 3-5 years to mature.
    That's all I buy & grow...lol
    Our growing season is shorter than yours. Some of the own root roses I tried growed a decent size by there second growing season and bloomed well.

Depends on the rose and growing conditions...

I never grew any Austins so don't know much about them.

Below is Livin Easy in our kitchen on the right in a 1 gallon container from roses unlimited and second pic is the same rose at the end its second growing season...

{{gwi:317988}}
    {{gwi:314392}}

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Andrea, a lot of it depends upon which roses in particular you bought. Some are slow to get going while others are "weeds". Remember, too, you live in California (even if it's the cooler, wetter part) where most roses explode much more quickly than in many other parts of the country. What you can do to push them along faster is to repot the gallons into larger cans (perhaps some fives, if these are some of the more vigorous types and already have extensive root balls), in decent soil and grow them out a season or so until they're the size you expect from a five gallon plant. You can search for the threads about disbudding (not letting them flower) while pushing them to mature faster to find all of those discussions here, too. Bottom line is, you are not necessarily "ignorant" and you very likely have a great chance of enjoying a lot of color and fragrance from these roses by next year. At least this "learning experience" hasn't been a negative, costly one. I know, "no patience", but patience is precisely what gardening, even growing roses, teaches. Get them potted for the winter, then sit back, take a deep breath and enjoy the ride! Just watch other parts of the garden and pot ghetto while these do their things. They will, and you'll enjoy them, if you give them, and yourself, the chance. Have fun with them! Kim

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

Even if they are small, in zone 9B nothing rose related will stay small. And Austin roses are very well known to grow very well in warm zones. If I were you I might pot them up into five gallon pots until February and then plant them. They should take off like gangbusters.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Andreark, don't fret. I had a James Galway go from about 7" as a band to 5' with six hyooooge canes in just its first summer. I think you'll be shocked, pleasantly and presently.

Jim, I love that cat!

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

Andrea, you would be surprised at how big a rose can get in it's first growing season. For Austins I grow Tea Clipper, Carding Mill, Grace, and Lady Emma Hamilton. All four grew differently in their first year planted. I purchased all root owned in one gallon pots and they all immediately went in the ground. Tea clipper was stingy with it's blooms the first year but grew to a good four feet! Carding Mill and Grace bloomed all summer and grew to three. Lady Emma, my lazy rose was way behind the others. At the start of Lady Emmas second year I cut of her buds and she started taking off, and likely would have grown to full size if she didn't constanly create so many buds as I didn't give it the attention it needed to keep debudding so it would spend its energy on just growing. I'm in South Carolina, so we are in two different rose growing worlds, but even in a zone behind yours an own root can grow quite a bit in its first year, and more if you have the will power to debud. In Tea clippers second year she grew to 6 feet and gave me beautiful flushes. I think my three others will need a third full season to reach thier normal height. So it does highly depend on which Austin as well.
    *I had to edit this message as I forgot to add my note to Jim. Jim, that is a gorgeous Livin Easy. I don't need another orange rose, but you've definitly tempted me!

This post was edited by mzstitch on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 8:52

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh thank you all so much. (Jim, beautiful kitties)

You have all suggested repotting them into larger pots. Would it be ok to just put them immediately into the ground. I have all the necessary amendments for a new bed. And the gardener is already lined up to 'dig and amend' it.

The new roses are Molineaux, Tradescant, Golden Celebration, Gertrude Jekyll, and Scepter'd Isle. They are all 'own root' Austins.

Is it ok to put them directly into a new bed?

Thanks again,

andrea

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Yes, you can put them directly into a new bed. I always do that. I never have the time or interest in fussing over the extra potting stage.

And my roses from Chamblees and other similar type nurseries do fine.

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yes. You can, Andrea (assuming your garden is organized, and that they won't get strangled by weeds or weed-whacked). I've never had any luck doing it, but YMMV.

And they may not grow as quickly, that way.

Jeri

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate.

I didn't have enough space for a new bed for HTs. They need too much sun. But I have some space for roses that need only 3 to 4 hours of sun a day. And the Austins that I have in pots (with 3+ hrs sun) are doing great.

This may be fun at that, I've never watched a tiny rose grow to a fully grown bush.

Thanks all,

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jeri.

Your message was sent at the same time as MY last message. And , Oh shoot!. Will putting them into the ground slow down their growth? They are so tiny. And I want them to grow more quickly. Will they grow more quickly if I plant them first into a pot, them replant later?

andrea

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Andrea, I plant almost all my own-root roses in the ground after letting them acclimate a week or so in their pots, gradually moving them from the shade to increasingly sunnier spots. I think if you remove the buds as they develop and make sure the roses are well-watered and mulched you'll see very good growth. It would be interesting if there were a study done to see which method is best, but for me putting them in the ground has always worked out very well. I put thorny branches around the roses to keep away the bunnies and squirrels who love tender, young roses. It's really your own call, but I believe the roses will do just fine either way. Most people opt to pot them on but I always go for the easiest solution.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I agree with everything Ingrid said - in your zone it should be fine to put them into the ground after they have had a week or so outside to acclimatize.

You know what sort of critters you have in your garden. Very small roses out in the ground need to be protected from bunnies, squirrels, people with weed whackers, and deer if you have any of those running around your garden. I always put a wire cage around all of my tiny planted roses for months, until they get big enough that some grazing will not kill them, and they are too big to be stepped on.

Jackie

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid and Jacqueline,

Thanks. I don't have critters in my yard, but will put them behind a garden fence to keep my pups from trampling them..

Thanks again,

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri, you said:

"And they may not grow as quickly, that way.

Is this correct where you live? or everywhere?

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

HI Andrea, Jeri's comment about them possibly not growing as quickly in the ground is another, "it depends." Warm roots push growth through several actions. Warmer soil encourages accelerated bacterial action which "digests" the organics in the potting medium, releasing nutrients faster and in greater quantities. It also speeds the activity of the plant, which has been known for many centuries. The Romans grew potted roses under which steam pipes were run to warm them as they knew they could force bloom out of season for their "events." Florist roses have historically been grown in containers here because the containers could be heated to push them to flower faster and out of season.

That has to be balanced against providing sufficient water when needed and protecting the containers from the extremes of heat. A container type which is too efficient at absorbing, holding and radiating the heat (glazed ceramic, clay, etc.), placed in too hot, sunny conditions, where it can easily over heat, stressing and potentially cooking the plant will definitely result in less acceptable growth compared to a good ground situation. Where you are, I would think a plastic nursery canned plant, receiving the good morning sun for the hours the variety desires would push faster than one in the same situation, planted in the ground. In the soil, it is going to be much cooler than inside a warmed pot. I don't think you experience the awful extremes several of the rest of us do, so potting them SHOULD help mature them faster. There is no way to predict how much faster, but potted root balls experience higher heat and deeper cold than those in the ground. Remember the posts here about how to over winter potted roses? The same rose planted in the ground could possibly survive without fuss, but in a pot, it is possible for it to freeze because the soil insulates against extremes.

If you have everything lined up to plant them, and you can keep them safe from the dogs and people feet, plant them. If you have time and room to pot them, pot them. You're probably on the cusp of where it might not make a lot of difference because of your climate. Here, I have found I get the most rapid maturation from potting them, then planting them before the extreme heat arrives. Your mileage is going to vary for all the reasons previously stated. Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,

As always a cogent and to the point answer.

I have many 5 gallon black plastic pots from Regan's. I think I will repot them in these for the winter...(what winter?) I can do this and let them sit in the area that will become their permanent in-ground home till they are larger.

Is it ok to let keep them in these pots until next April?

Thanks again,

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Hi Andrea, you're welcome! Question, aren't Regan and all the other nurseries going to hold those in five gallon cans for bud and bloom plants until at least April? As long as they're kept properly watered and lifted from the soil so they don't grow through the drain holes into the ground, so planting them won't disturb them needlessly, I would think your plan should work just fine. Have fun with them! Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got back from a day trip to Napa.

Thanks again Kim. I will be moving the tiny darlings tomorrow. I will remember to make sure that the roots don't grow through the bottom holes.

And I think I WILL have fun with them.

I will be having fun also on the 31st passing our goodies to our neighborhood hooligans. Hope you will be having fun also.

Happy, happy,

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Good! I'm glad you enjoyed your day and are looking forward to having fun with your new "babies". Enjoy Halloween. We don't get any trick or treaters on this hill. No little kids, and it's too steep and dark. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Andrea, if you think a plant from Chamblees is "tiny," make sure you never order from Heritage--they send "bands" and those really are "tiny."

I won't bother to answer any of your future questions since you have repeatedly shown that you find my contributions wrong or irrelevant. Sorry I can't be of any help to you.

Kate

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I live 2 hours from Chamblees and was just there about a week ago - bought quite a few one gallon plants. Got Blue For You that was a little small - wouldn't say tiny - and I was wondering whether to pot them up and grow them out or plant them. I called Ron at Chamblees to ask. He said plant them in the ground. Actually, I have seen roses planted in the ground take off and grow - and sometimes not so much in pots. Now, I pot all my Vintage Gardens bands in pots and grow them out because I baby them so much and it works out. Chamblees roses are extremely healthy and I would bet you can plant them in the ground, mulch them and keep them watered and they will do fine. I am going to take Ron's advice and do just that.

I have found that own roots take just a bit longer to get started but they are tough in the long run. My experience has been that fall planted roses here in Texas have a bit of time to develop roots and get settled in, are stabilized in the winter then in spring, start taking off. I like fall planted roses for that reason - they are already established in the ground in fall, then no disturbance in spring - they just grow.

Good luck - Chamblees sells a quality product. If you have any questions, just call them. I will be going back again in about a week - they called and said I paid $19 too much for my last order - and that I had a $20 credit. What store have you ever heard of that does this? Chamblees is #1 in my book.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I would expect that in Z9b they will be good size in 1-2 years. Here in SoCal they grow awful fast. I plugged in a cutting of Charles Aznavour in February and it bloomed in seven months.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alameda8.

Because of what Kim said, I decided to pot them until spring. Then I will put them in a bed. They are already in their new pots. And I agree, Chamblees plants are very healthy. I had just never purchased anything but much larger plants. As I said to Kim, I think this will be a fun new experience for me. Seeing them grow from a 'pup' to a grown plant. You are definitely right about Chamblees business ethics. I have been around for many moons and haven't seen honesty like that very often. Thanks for your input.

Henry,

These babies appear to be growing in front of my eyes.
    I am very glad people here on the forum had great things to say about Chamblees. I can now say that I can agree with them from experience. My territory is also great for rather rapid growth. My oldest plants have been in one of my beds for only 18 months and several have been pruned down from about 8 feet already. Most of the rest, even the bed that is only 6 months old, look very mature. Thanks for your answer.

Both of you, Have a great Halloween and Thanksgiving.

andrea

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

If you can keep them from drying out and give them the best potting soil you can afford and feed them properly and give them plenty of sun, they should grow very well as Kim and Jeri said. I have had good results in the ground but Kim is right that the sun will warm the pots through fall and winter and keep them growing right along. Meanwhile, work on making the planting beds as nice as you possibly can to give them an easy time once they are ready to be put in the soil. Keep pinching off buds to keep the green growth going.

Soon you will be wondering how to keep them from being too large along with the rest of us.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kittymoon,

Should I pinch off the buds all fall and winter? I don't like doing this, but I will if it will make them grow faster
    for the spring replant.

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kittymoon,

I just wanted to say that this will be my third bed. The beds have the top 2 feet of soil thoroughly roto-rilled, Then about 3/4 to 1 foot of the soil removed, before amending with rose soil by E.B.Stone, aged manure by E.B.Stone, and a very nice compost that I get at Navlet's in the SFO Bay area.

My soil is dark clay but not too hard. So the resulting beds seem to be popular with my roses and drain very well.

Thanks for your help,

andrea

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Andreark,

Nearly all of my Austins are from Chamblee's, many of them began as one gallons purchased this spring. Here is a picture of these plants now. I nearly lost Eglantyne due to a storm tipping her over in her pot and exposing her roots. Your roses will be just fine. You can leav them in their one gallons to grow even larger, then plant them in the ground and watch them go. I too have fertile clay and can attest to the fact that the roses love it.

Chamblee's sells great quality plants. Nothing to feet about, your roses will soon be up and blooming away.

Josh