Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 gallon bucket watering

Posted by lainey2 6b va (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 21:03

Someone posted a watering method consisting of drilling a hole of a specified size into a five gallon bucket, filling the bucket with water, and letting it drip out, then moving the bucket to the next rose. Does anyone know the exact size of the hole?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 gallon bucket watering

I use a 16D nail but I've also used a 3/16 drill bit. Put it in the side at the very bottom.
Don't fill the bucket and carry it. It'll spash on you. Place it empty next to the bush and fill it with water from a hose.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 13:13

Never heard of this one but it sounds good to me!

o

Yep--it's much better if you intentionally make your own hole in the bucket, but I've used this method also when I accidentally crack the bottom of a bucket.

I stick a piece of plastic in the bottom & hold it there before filling with water, and it helps reduce the flow volume coming out of the crack.

We're officially on water restrictions now & it's a darn good thing we have rain barrels.

o

Thank you Karl bapst rosenut. Will this deliver an inch of water?

o

Yes. and all the water soaks in as it's coming out. I recommend a slight depression around the bush, especially if you have hard clay and haven't loosened the soil recently.I use this mainly when planting but it'll work for regular watering unless you have lots of roses. Imagine watering 400 bushes this way.

o

I gave up my big garden when we built our retirement house. Now I only hve 15 roses. This micht work for me. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here