Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_simon26

rose cuttings

Linda Simon
9 years ago

I rooted some rose cuttings for the first time. Frost is coming soon, but I don't know if i should plant them outside now or bring them inside til spring. I am totally new at this, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (4)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Try popping the pots into the ground, and piling Autumn leaves over them for Winter.

I'm a zone warmer, but I had some pieces which I simply stuck in the ground (no rooting hormone) when they snapped off the roses. In Spring, they still looked green, so I dug them out and potted them up. They grew! Not as quickly as others I've tried with rooting hormone, but they didn't die over Winter.

One other thing is the type of rose, and how cold-hardy it is. If you're rooting something that's only borderline for you, it might not have enough roots to survive Winter. In that case, perhaps you can bring them in just before when nights dip below 20F, and keep them in a bright window until the temperature doesn't go that low anymore.

:-)

~Christopher

• cecily
    9 years ago

Are they in dixie cups or gallon pots now? I like to "plant" gallon pots adjacent to the foundation of my house (sink the whole pot into the ground). I don't pile anything over them. Dixie cups come inside under a grow light and I spray the foliage with milk to prevent PM.

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

Christopher, what kind of spots do you stick the cuttings in? Do you keep them watered/misted? What type of roses have you successfully propagated with this simple method?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Late last Autumn, I noticed a few of my roses had stems which snapped or broke completely off. I simply stuck them in the ground right next to the originals, putting about half of the stem length below the soil surface. I did nothing else to them until Spring, when I figured "why not?" and dug them out and potted them up. They didn't root much (or at all) over Winter this way, but rather they mostly "stayed asleep" and didn't dry out. It was more like "cold storage" until I decided to see if they'd grow in pots. The roses were random -- two Bourbons, 'Cardinal de Richelieu', "Darlow's Enigma", and 'Mme Laurette Messimy'.

I get much faster results by twice slicing the bottom inch or two of an almost-pencil-thick stem, dipping it in rooting hormone powder, potting them up, and leaving them where they get morning sun and bright shade thereafter. But that was this year's experiments -- I haven't yet had to overwinter any once they started rooting this way.

:-)

~Christopher